Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ttshaw1
    • Oct 2021

Looking for recommendations for a cheap OEM frame

I want to put together an electric motorcycle by selecting a bike to use as a base and then buying the parts of that bike that I'll need - basically everything but the engine. The hardest part to find has been the frame, but I found that bikebandit sells OEM frames. The two options I've looked at are Honda Groms (top speed of 62mph, frame costs $150) and Kawasaki Ninja 250Rs (top speed ~100mph, frame costs ~$1500). I love how cheap the Grom's frame is, but the base bike can't really hit highway speeds, so I'd have no guarantees about the wheels and suspension if I got my electric one up to highway speeds. And the Ninja's frames are expensive.

Does anyone have any recommendations on other bikes I can look at as the base bike for this project? Criteria are:
    • At least 45mph top speed, preferably 80+mph
    • Not a scooter or moped. Preferably standard or sport.
    • Reasonably popular, so it's easy to find aftermarket parts at decent prices if needed
    • New OEM frame is relatively cheap, ideally less than $500

I'm posting in the Japanese bikes thread since the two I've looked at are Japanese, but I'd be ok with a base bike from anywhere.

Thanks!
  • docmel
    • May 2015

OEM frames are kinda heavy for e motors Could take sone of that potential power away

Comment

• TriNortchopz
      • Dec 2017

Do you have all the electric components sorted? Will if fit in the frame you are thinking about?

seen this?

Enrico “Ricky” de Haas doesn’t subscribe to the notion that future-forward electric motorcycles need to resemble futuristic science experiments. In fact, his Wannabe-Choppers AlSi9Mg—handbuilt in his Hüttenberg, Germany shop—is more a throwback than advancement in aesthetics, but that’s what he likes about it. His attitude reflects the laid-back nature of his community in the Taunus foothills.

Click image for larger version

Name:	The-Vintagent-Wannabe-AlSi9Mg-E-Chopper-Ricky-elbow-1024x684.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	148.6 KB
ID:	1320524

What’s the inspiration behind building an electric chopper that looks so ‘old school’?

Click image for larger version

Name:	The-Vintagent-Wannabe-AlSi9Mg-E-Chopper-lightweight-1024x683.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	195.0 KB
ID:	1320525

The Wannabe AlSi9Mg electric chopper looks like the real thing, but removes the V-twin while keeping the vroom!
      If buildin' old school choppers was easy, anyone could do it... ain't nobody said it's gonna be easy...

Comment

• Sep 2012

A guy on ADVRider built a nice electric Vespa. Look for it on the "Needs Assembly" thread. Lots of good information about setting up the batteries and charging system.

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
        Working...