CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search

Default Genny light hook up with 65A generator: How?

60 FL, bobber, minimal wiring with a 65A genny and solid state Cycle Electric regulator.

I would like to run a genny light to my dash.

How/where are the wires hooked to so I can run a light in my dash to show low output?

65A with NOT built in CE Regulator: Found my own answer here:

"There are two type of indicator lamp holders. One type, such as used for signal indicators, are grounded through their base to the dash mounts and have one wire for power coming off the bottom. The other type are insulated around their base, not grounded...and they have two separate wires coming off of them...

You want to be sure you are using the second type for your generator indicator. One side goes to the A post at the generator...the other wire is connected to 12 volts when the key is turned on. When the bike is sitting, the generator ain't putting out and the lamp will glow because it has a path to ground through the generator wiring. Fire up the bike and the generator starts putting out voltage...when that voltage exceeds 12 volts, it will "cancel out" the battery voltage at the lamp and keep it from glowing.

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by docmel View Post
    65A with NOT built in CE Regulator: Found my own answer here:
    That's why I didn't answer your question....... The answer is out there if you will take the time to look.........

Glad you found it on your own......

Quote Originally Posted by Tattooo View Post
    That's why I didn't answer your question....... The answer is out there if you will take the time to look.........

Glad you found it on your own......
    I asked on this forum first as way to find it on my own. Posting the subject/question is also a way for others that might have the same question when they hit this forum.

And by the way, I did look elsewhere and beleive it or not, it was harder to nail down an answer than one would think. Thats what I posted as the answer.

If someone asks a question, and I know the answer, myself I tend to just give it to them

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by docmel View Post
    If someone asks a question, and I know the answer, myself I tend to just give it to them
    I understand what your saying, but you learn more by doing it yourself....... Then after a while if they can't find the answer I will give it...... If I know it that is......

But you answer questions as you will.....

Share This