CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search
Page 2 of 2 First 12

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

Are you sure that's a 48 frame? Looks more like what Palmer shows a 49, machining of the ride control stud. I'm relying on memory. I don't have it open in front of me. Not that it makes any difference with what your doing. I have often thought people putting hard tails on later frame were only going half way, they should have the sidecars loops as well. So was thinking on how that could be accomplished.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by ncmc47 View Post
    Are you sure that's a 48 frame? Looks more like what Palmer shows a 49, machining of the ride control stud. I'm relying on memory. I don't have it open in front of me. Not that it makes any difference with what your doing. I have often thought people putting hard tails on later frame were only going half way, they should have the sidecars loops as well. So was thinking on how that could be accomplished.
    I'm not 100% sure of much anymore, haha. According to Palmer it was only a very few late 48s with the pin installed and none with horn pads if I'm reading it correctly. This piece has the rounded horn pads like the 51-53. And according to Palmer the early 49s had the square corner pads on un-flatened frames. later 49 frames with same square pads but on flattened tubes.

The old guy I got if from showed me pics of it (48s with springers) and said him and his brother each bought one new, him this El and his brother an FL. I got everything from the EL. What happened was they lived far off a main road and eventually bashed the bottom out of the FL. They didn't have a lot of tools so they cut the EL in half to get the engine out and never got either back together. He couldn't find the rear half of the frame so I never got it. He didn't know what happened to the FL as I recall now either. That's all I know

Get Adobe Flash player

Palmer says the die numbers for 48 are on the steering head, 14, 16 or 17... It's 17 on this piece so I'm gonna call it a late 48

I would be thinking about maybe a vtwin hardtail repop unless its gotta have a swing arm or you just wanna use what ya got. The swingarms should have the rear motor mount, seatpost, and tranny mount?

Get Adobe Flash player

That could be cool but I'm thinking more of a blend of old and new, a restomod type thing using all Harley parts. Something very reliable and different. Maybe an injected 48 Pan motor with a Timken converted botton end for power. Anything you can imagine is possible these days

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by oneuptom View Post
    Anything you can imagine is possible these days
    You got that right...... Not like it was 45 years ago for sure..............And that's a good thing.............

the timkin mod sure would be interesting, also maybe mechanical hilborn?

Get Adobe Flash player

Standalone MicroSquirt ECU with switchable maps. The second mostly a cooling map. You need to have complete independent control over both cylinders for fuel & timing. These old girls need a lot of help staying cool if you're going to flog them, have them last. They need help everywhere actually. And wouldn't it be cool you didn't need to send the fuel down that tortuous path. Squirt it directly at the valve instead

Get Adobe Flash player

I probed those sidecar loops for measurements and had a good look. Unbelievably clean in there, not a spec of rust, just soot from welding all those years ago, wow!.. They are bored about 1 5/8" deep but only to the I.D. of the tube. I guess a structural measure to help prevent stress failure? Tubes are butt welded to the ends of them. Very nice complete penetration

Edit: I need to take that back!!! I was feeling the weld penetration and not the end of the tube. So, the tubes slip into the loops about 1 5/8"
    Last edited by oneuptom; 10-08-2021 at 12:20 PM.

After seeing your pic, I think you would be better off keeping the motor mount and grafting the later frame aft of that. Not least because the shape of the frame tubing is very different for the loop frame, compared to the later frames.

Jim

According to Palmer's, your frame with the early pan top motor mount and the rounded horn mount tabs would be a late '51. And the story attached to it is just a story.

Jim

Get Adobe Flash player

Maybe I'm mistaken, but I thought the 51 had flat spots to mount the horn mounts. I'm not gonna give that horn thing a whole lot of credence either way. The bit about the two digit die numbers, mine being a 17 on the steering head dates it as a late 48

Edit: TBH those corners could have started square and melted back from the welds to look rounded
    Last edited by oneuptom; 10-08-2021 at 4:00 PM.

Get Adobe Flash player

Right now I'm thinking of removing the front mount, replacing the whole length with 1 1/8 4130 all the way back to the rear forging, reattaching the front mount. Would look better to me!.. more professional, stronger

Get Adobe Flash player

Yeah, I wasn't mistaken, 51 flat areas for the horn mounts to mount on. Don't make me hafta open that book again, just drop it!!!

Get Adobe Flash player

Man it's your frame you do what you want to it no matter what year it is.......... I think it's a later year frame like Jim said, That really doesn't matter at this point what year it is with what your going to do to it..........

If it was my frame section I'd be damned if I would do what your considering to it......... It's worth way to much money like it is right now........... Even more if you but it back stock.............

But like I said before it's your frame have at it.............

Share This