Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gtalex
    • Aug 2021

SV 650 Cafe Racer Old School

This is my on going 2002 Suzuki SV650 cafe racer build.
    It's My version of an old school build determined to capture the flavour of building as much as I can myself.
    Its all running but now I'm changing the tank to something more old school.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20201027_120407.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	309.8 KB
ID:	1347456Click image for larger version

Name:	1stdyno.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	256.6 KB
ID:	1347457Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20211005_170628.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	281.8 KB
ID:	1347458
    Its running a single fish carb and countless other mods to hopefully make it a true street racer.
    After the tank will be a Dunstall syte fairing, cams and more dyno tuning before strip down and paint.
  • gtalex
    • Aug 2021

Some measuring and cutting and it's getting close to the final shape, so how about some feed back there is still a little room for change.
    Attached Files

Comment

• gtalex
      • Aug 2021

I was thinking the tank looks a bit bulky still, but I don't want to reduce fuel volume and I do like it so "this is the shape", I can start the final welding and fitting the base of the tank.

The harley threaded fuel cap boss arrived but I won't weld it in till the cap arrives and I have checked they work together.

The fairing is all paid for so hopefully it will be here by the end of next week.

Comment

• gtalex
        • Aug 2021

I think this is about where the fairing will end up. I think it looks a bit old school streamliner rather than just a wind deflector.
        Sorry about the picture quality but ignoring that what do others thing. any Ideas how to make it look better?
        Attached Files

Comment

• oneuptom
          • Sep 2010

any Ideas how to make it look better?
          If it were mine all the silver bits including the rims would be painted black. Pretty cool lines on that thing!

Comment

• gtalex
            • Aug 2021

Originally posted by oneuptom
            If it were mine all the silver bits including the rims would be painted black. Pretty cool lines on that thing!
            Thanks, the plan is to black out the frame swing arm and rims. The body work will be very dark gun metal grey. Then it gets hard most likely cream pin striping to highlight the cool lines.

Comment

• pennswoodsed
              • Jun 2014

Hi,
              I am interested in the single carb setup unfamiliar with "fish" carburetor ?

Comment

• gtalex
                • Aug 2021

What would you like to know. First run 62.5 only 2 hp down from suzuki rated HP for the model which may have been flywheel power? Max power 1000 rpm lower than stock but makes good power past 10500rpm, stock falls away after 9500rpm. Torque up to 7000 rpm is 10% over stock. End result is a much more responsive ride. I have since done some more porting in the manifold plenum but have not yet dyno-ed it again.

Name:	IMG_20210516_233411.jpg
Size:	287.2 KB
ID:	1322097

Name:	IMG_20210516_233306 (1).jpg
Size:	291.9 KB
ID:	1322098

Comment

• gtalex
                  • Aug 2021

The tank is getting there bit by bit
                  Attached Files

Comment

• gtalex
                    • Aug 2021

Originally posted by gtalex
                    The tank is getting there bit by bit
                    Spent time today doing a final trim of the tank shape, so apart from changing the fuel filler area, that is the look..
                    That is the final shape no real changes now just need to get stuck in and finish it.
                    Plan is original hinge mount on the rear, standard petcock, Honda fuel sender compatible with the gauge cluster. Harley sportster fuel cap boss and my quick release pins at the front.
                    I have all the parts so its all a go.
                    Apart from that the paddock stand is sinking from all the wet weather and there are match box cars down the muffler I need fish out $%@$
                    Attached Files

Comment

• gtalex
                      • Aug 2021

A little more progress. Handle bars in position to suit the fairing. Running my custom bent bars allowed me to rotate them to maintain ergonomics.
                      Smoothed some welds and massaging knee and bar dents, slapped some black primer on to just get better prospective.
                      Attached Files

Comment

• gtalex
                        • Aug 2021

Never quick enough. Working on the hinge at the back of the tank, once done I will fit the filler bung and fittings for the petcock and sender.
                        Finish panel beating because last change with access before sealing up the rear part of the tank shaped for the seat.
                        Then I will leak test ad weld up leaks, then braze over all welds to destress welds and add material.

Then sort out the air box end (I don't even know how I'm doing that yet)

Then just because I want to be sure of no leak I will use a tank sealer.
                        then strip it back bog and paint fit the cap petcock and sender and it's done.

Then I have to finish fitting the fairing.

Comment

• gtalex
                          • Aug 2021

Still going, ran the welds all the way, some need attention but I will get there.

Made up a hinge bracket for the back of the tank out of 2mm plate strong enough to check it works but thin enough to bend to get it sitting correctly and check the opening.

Now that the tank hinge is holding the tank in the correct place, opens and closes, and gaps to the seat and frame are good, I can go ahead and add bracing to strengthen the hinge.
                          Attached Files

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                          Working...