Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • hubsripz
    • May 2020

Shovelhead transmission sprocket way too tight after install

Hey everyone been trying to find anything on this but cant figure it out. So i just replaced my main shaft seal and but in the L key, then put on my sprocket and sprocket lock tab/nut and after torquing (105-120 according to manual for late 1978) the sprocket is way too tight and wont even budge. Did I mess something up here? Even tried a much lower torque at 60 ft lb and it was still way too tight. Please help! Thanks.
  • hubsripz
    • May 2020

just tried it without L key and same issue. Did i maybe push the new seal too far in? i used the cork, a new spacer, and new seal. the seal sits just a bit further into case past being flush.

Comment

• Dragstews
      • Sep 2010

Think I'd be taking a hard look at the new spacer ..

Make sure it has the same dimensions as the old ...
      Take my 45 and outrun em all ..

Comment

• hubsripz
        • May 2020

are there different width spacers for different year ratchet tops?

Comment

• Dragstews
          • Sep 2010

Yup ..

Yo Jim, wanna fill him in on what the Mo-Co did from 77-up ... ??

Comment

• JBinNC
            • Dec 2018

Originally posted by Dragstews
            Yup ..

Yo Jim, wanna fill him in on what the Mo-Co did from 77-up ... ??
            You would put that on me!

'77 - '79, spacer is the same dimension as the earlier spacer, but without the key slot, so no key is used.

'80, maybe late '79, and '81,a new seal and spacer. Also, if it's a chain drive, there is a washer added outside of the seal under the sprocket. The washer is not used with the belt pulley.

'82 - '86 there are different width seal spacers for chain or belt final drive. In those years there are 4 or5 different spacers, depending on the year (if I remember correctly). The seal is different than the '80 - '81 seal that did not work well at all.

For the OP, the cork will usually prevent the seal from being pressed in too deeply, but may rub the OD of the spacer. With the sprocket nut torqued down, if you have end float of the main drive gear, you are probably OK. No end float is NOT OK, and you get to start over. Do you have a seal spacer that has the notch for the key? (I assume you do since you mentioned it.) Technically, that's the '76 and earlier spacer, but it should work (dimensionally the same).

Jim
            Last edited by JBinNC; 10-04-2021, 5:02 PM.

Comment

• JBinNC
              • Dec 2018

Note: you mentioned the manual for '78, so I took from that, that the bike is a '78. My mistake maybe.

Jim

Comment

• Dragstews
                • Sep 2010

Originally posted by jbinnc

you would put that on me!

Jim
                Last edited by Dragstews; 10-04-2021, 5:19 PM.

Comment

• hubsripz
                  • May 2020

Originally posted by JBinNC
                  You would put that on me!

'77 - '79, spacer is the same dimension as the earlier spacer, but without the key slot, so no key is used.

'80, maybe late '79, and '81,a new seal and spacer. Also, if it's a chain drive, there is a washer added outside of the seal under the sprocket. The washer is not used with the belt pulley.

'82 - '86 there are different width seal spacers for chain or belt final drive. In those years there are 4 or5 different spacers, depending on the year (if I remember correctly). The seal is different than the '80 - '81 seal that did not work well at all.

For the OP, the cork will usually prevent the seal from being pressed in too deeply, but may rub the OD of the spacer. With the sprocket nut torqued down, if you have end float of the main drive gear, you are probably OK. No end float is NOT OK, and you get to start over. Do you have a seal spacer that has the notch for the key? (I assume you do since you mentioned it.) Technically, that's the '76 and earlier spacer, but it should work (dimensionally the same).

Jim
                  Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1898.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	101.2 KB
ID:	1320411Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1899.jpg
Size:	94.3 KB
ID:	1320412Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1900.jpg
Size:	92.8 KB
ID:	1320413
                  Took out the new seal i had just put in to check out the spacers, here they are. new one on left, old on right. old one seems to have a cut out area on the back side. other than that the spacers seem to be identical. am i missing something? do i maybe have to much play in the countershaft? very confused on this one haha. if it helps any, when i took off the primary the sprocket nut was loose.

Comment

• Dragstews
                    • Sep 2010

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1899.jpg
Size:	93.8 KB
ID:	1320414

The old spacer don't look to be in all that bad of shape ...
                    I'd do a polish job where the seal been rubbing and reuse it ...

Comment

• Tattooo
                      • Sep 2012

Don't you guys think he should take the trans apart to see how much wear there is on the bearings? Many times that is the reason the seal starts leaking in the first place....................

Comment

• hubsripz
                        • May 2020

Originally posted by Dragstews
                        [ATTACH=CONFIG]105756[/ATTACH]

The old spacer don't look to be in all that bad of shape ...
                        I'd do a polish job where the seal been rubbing and reuse it ...
                        So i just did a test fit with both spacers to see how they would compare (without the seal in the case). Both spacers when torqued down to 60 ft lb have no issue moving freely. This leads me to wonder, did i drive that seal in too deep, causing the seal to press too much against spacer/case and when sprocket engages it doesnt move easily? Ive seen videos where guys say to get the seal flush, but unfortunately when installing this skipped my mind and my seal sat in there deeper than flush. Thanks for all the help by the way to everyone, takes alot of stress away having others help out!

Comment

• Dragstews
                          • Sep 2010

Dang good idea .... ^^

Transmission main drive spacer has an outer diameter of 1-5/8".
                          Spacer does not include notch for key.
                          For use with caged needle bearing main drive gear bearing.

FITS
                          FL late 1977-1979
                          FX late 1977-1979

Comment

• flatman
                            • Sep 2017

Just a shout out to Dragstews and JB for all their help on this board. You guys have infinate knowledge and just plain ROCK

Comment

• JBinNC
                              • Dec 2018

Originally posted by hubsripz
                              [ATTACH=CONFIG]105753[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]105754[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]105755[/ATTACH]
                              Took out the new seal i had just put in to check out the spacers, here they are. new one on left, old on right. old one seems to have a cut out area on the back side. other than that the spacers seem to be identical. am i missing something? do i maybe have to much play in the countershaft? very confused on this one haha. if it helps any, when i took off the primary the sprocket nut was loose.
                              The step on the back side of the old spacer is wear, because it runs against the aluminum case on the '77 - '79 transmissions. In my opinion, using 80W90 or 90 hypoid gear oil will help minimize this wear. That wear causes the main drive gear end float to increase.

Jim

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                              Working...
                              ;