CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search

Default 1978 Honda xl125

I have a 1978 xl 125 kick start only wiring is apparently not correct and I cannot seem to get it right. I cannot figure out what to do with the wire that comes off the stator and the wire off the points. . I thought the wire from the stator should go to the primary side of the ignition coil, but then I do not know what to do with the wire from the points. I wish I had an elementary diagram for a kick start ignition system. I cannot find one.

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

Have you considered getting a workshop manual? The Haynes and Clymer manuals are better than nothing and should have diagrams but I would advise it would be ideal to purchase a factory workshop manual. In my experience Honda factory manuals are excellent and the ones I have for Sohc 4s are the gold stndard of what every manual should be,

When in doubt ALWAYS consult the relevant technical data.

How do I find a factory workshop manual for a 1978 honda xl125? Thanks for all your help. I got spark this afternoon, but the bike will not fire even with some starter fluid right in the spark plug hole? Why would that be?
    Last edited by Hardrock; 08-11-2020 at 6:20 PM. Reason: new information

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by Hardrock View Post
    How do I find a factory workshop manual for a 1978 honda xl125?
    THE Google is your friend. They show up on FeeBay,
    https://www.ebay.com/b/1978-Motorcyc...6841935?_pgn=4

Some people scan originals and sell them on a CD disc and cheaper if you dont mind staring at a computer screen. I personally buy the factory PARTS BOOKS and the WORKSHOP manuals for everything I own. The parts books show the components as well as part numbers and most importantly the orientation and order they go in. IE:
    "The watzit goes BEFORE the Whizbang, and then installed next to the gizmo" all illustrated.

Factory service bulletins are an excellent resource as well, as that contains fixs not noted in manuals or revisions and updates to dealers.

You can often find free downloads online for some manuals and parts books or other data, but you have to be careful downloading content, I setup digital files for BSAs on another forum and many others do the same. Search tools are handy like that.

or other retailers such as amazon...

https://www.repairmanual.com/product...anual-6136506/

https://www.bikebandit.com/honda-xl1...nual/v11/md582

https://www.amazon.com/Service-Repai.../dp/B007GAZCOG

http://www.servicerepairmanualonline...xl-125-manual/

Some forums host tech data, Id look for some Honda forums specifically,, but honestly, if you OWN the bike, invest in manuals. I own them for every vehicle I worked on or owned.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20200811-175347_Gallery.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	285.3 KB 
ID:	105597

Try this, it's for a 79. But the service manual will be your best bet. Good luck.

Thanks, I ordered a service manual this afternoon. Also I did get some fire this afternoon, but would not fire the engine even with starter fluid in spark plug hole. Any suggestions on that?

Start at the basics. You say you have spark, so fuel and compression are what's left. And timing. A weak spark can be blown out . Make sure the grounds are good, and all connections are as well. With decent spark, a shot of starting fluid in in the carb should get you something. If not, start looking further, as in a compression check, or sticking valves.

Get Adobe Flash player

Vintage Honda forums are useful too. The internet is full of Honda assets since those bikes and relatives are very, very common.

Spend a few hours learning how to find information. It makes everything easier, not just bike projects.

My kids and I actually just got done building a 1978 xl125. It was our pandemic project when school closed. The black wire from the stator goes to a kill switch and then to both the coil and the points. If you don't have any lights or charging system it is literally just one wire to make these run. I saw your other post about parts, which are mostly readily available in the usual places. A replacement stator is about the only thing you wont be able to find. I bought three partial honda 125s at a swap meet years ago and only came away with one good stator that would be kick start only. It should read around 5 volts when you kick it over if it is in working order.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2007.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	133.3 KB 
ID:	105906

Share This