Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 107sft
    • Sep 2021

Panhead with an evo trans?

So as the title says this post is to see if a panhead or shovelhead fit in a evo frame with an evo Trans. If it's possible what needs to be swapped over to make it run? Thanks and sorry for a stupid question just new to all this.
  • JBinNC
    • Dec 2018

A cone shovel (with alternator) is a bolt-in, except that you might have to get creative with the top motor mount.

A pan motor would be a lot more trouble, although it too will bolt down to the motor mount pads. The primary, exhaust, and a few details would make it a job for someone knowledgeable. It would be a waste of a pan motor, but that's just my opinion.

Jim

Comment

• Tattooo
      • Sep 2012

Originally posted by JBinNC
      It would be a waste of a pan motor, but that's just my opinion.

Jim

That's for damn sure................. My opinion also...........

Comment

• Sugarcubes
        • Apr 2024

What evo frame specifically are you referring to? Very early Evo's used the same 4 speed frame as the shovelhead so wouldnt imagine there being a problem putting a shovel in there.

As for a panhead, Tatro Machine have built a couple of bikes with panhead motors and early softail frames.

Comment

• rockman96
          • May 2018

Originally posted by JBinNC
          It would be a waste of a pan motor, but that's just my opinion.

Jim
          I agree 100% in the case of a real HD pan. An S&S 93" Pan is a whole other ballgame... Anything goes with one of these.

Comment

• Dragstews
            • Sep 2010

I double Dog dare ya ...
            Take my 45 and outrun em all ..

Comment

• rockman96
              • May 2018

Originally posted by Dragstews
              I double Dog dare ya ...
              Believe me, the temptation is, and has been there.

Comment

• farmall
                • Apr 2013

For something to ride where the owner is too old or otherwise can't kick well it could work on a chopper to get the superb Denso electric starter vs dropping megabucks on a kit conversion for a four speed, but that would be for the (rare today) Pan owner without much money but equipped to do the work themselves.

The five speed end cover fails to look sufficiently classic without a kicker and a Panhead doesn't need five gears. They're for going slow as befits increasingly rare artifacts of a dead age. OTOH if one of my cone Shovel cowpies shits the bed it will get a Softail box with Denso starter in a heartbeat.

If you want the look buy a modern faux Pan and get a much better engine for modern use then run a five or six speed.

BTW if you don't already own a bunch of the correct parts it's normally a terrible idea to build from parts or a basket case if you want a chopper vs buying a complete titled motorcycle needing work. Do keep studying though since knowledge is power.

Do you already own any parts and what sort of HD would you like to have? This is a good place to figure out the best way to reach your goal bike.

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                Working...
                ;