Hello All

What are the best ways to put my 2008 Rocker C away for the winter

As in drain the tank or put a additive in the fuel

Tender the batter of remove it

Bike lift of the tires

Just the best things to do would help please

Don't want the fuel tank to rust inside

Cheers Colin

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

Just change the oil, fill up the tank and maybe keep the battery inside should it get below zero where you store it. Don't have to fiddle with it any more than that.

Get Adobe Flash player

I was taught to do all the regular maintenance before you put it away.

Take the bike for one last ride to get it up to operating temperature to both boil off any water in the system and change the oil and filter while it’s still warm (not so hot you’ll burn yourself though).

I also fill the gas tank and add a little stabilizer. You don’t want an empty tank because (unless you store the bike in a heated garage) you’ll get condensation in it.

Also, I turn the fuel valve off with it running and let the motor die from lack of fuel. This helps empty the carb of fuel, but I think your bike is fuel injected. I have no idea what to do with that.

It’s probably safer to remove your battery and put it on a charger than to leave it in the bike. You really shouldn’t let them freeze, but I have and it didn’t kill the battery.

There’s really no need to put the bike on a lift for winter storage. Just make sure the tires have the right pressure and check them periodically if you’re worried about it.

Battery tender with quick detach cable

Sugarcubes

Quote Originally Posted by colinmaca View Post
    Hello All

What are the best ways to put my 2008 Rocker C away for the winter

As in drain the tank or put a additive in the fuel

Tender the batter of remove it

Bike lift of the tires

Just the best things to do would help please

Don't want the fuel tank to rust inside

Cheers Colin
    Are you going to be leaving the bike in storage where you cant get to it? Me personally I still run my bike up until the roads get too icy and unsafe to ride it but when it inevitably comes to the time where I lay it up in the garage for a couple months, I make sure it has a fresh full tank of gas and just make sure I go out and start it up every other day and let it run for a good 10-15 mins, moving it about a bit so the tyres dont sit in the one spot and shift through the gears etc. Hasnt caused me any problems.

I've started filling my vehicles with rec90 gas before I put them away. Costs a bit more but no methanol is worth it considering what can happen.
    My garage is conditioned so I just use a battery tender.
    The batteries from my boat come inside for the winter and they last longer that way.
    I do oil changes and other stuff during winter when there's nothing better to do.
    I roll it often enough that the tires don't get a flat spot. I left a jeep in one spot for three or for months one time and the tires were bouncing and thumping fora good twenty miles or so.

Get Adobe Flash player

I've started filling my vehicles with rec90 gas before I put them away. Costs a bit more but no methanol is worth it considering what can happen.
    Welcome to the definitive list of stations that sell pure, ethanol-free gasoline in the U.S. and Canada!

We currently have 16351 stations entered for the following provinces and states. Click on a province or state to see them!
    https://www.pure-gas.org/

Big thanks to everyone
    Its in the house but i will fill the fuel tanks
    And thanks for the rest of the tips
    I knew you guys would know
    Great stuff
    Cheers Colin

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by colinmaca View Post
    Its in the house but i will fill the fuel tanks
    Don't tell your homeowners carrier!

My garage stays heated to about 60 all winter, but winters in the cornfields have humid spells and my latest build is one big hunk of chrome waiting to rust - so is now in a “Car Capsule”.

Will let you know how it survives…

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	D541A70A-6F01-482E-919C-01E5748FE77A.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	126.2 KB 
ID:	105910

kestrou

Get Adobe Flash player

Cap full of oil down cylinders give it a crank, clutch cable zip tied back, mist some wd40 on chrome, toss some blankets on it and let her sleep for the winter and maybe something over the exhaust to avoid critters getting in there.

Get Adobe Flash player

I do it a little differently. I fill my tanks and add some Stabil. Where I differ is I don't change my oil till first start in the spring. Why I do it this way is my bike is out in my unheated garage ,often times I go out and check things and when we have a temp differential from below freezing to above freezing all metal will be sweating. This happens quite a lot here so I just wait and do it in the spring. I also put the battery on the tender. I've been doing it this way for 30 yrs or so with no problems.

Get Adobe Flash player

I read starting them for a bit and letting them run is bad. Being the moisture gets in there and isn’t good for the motor. Def a battery tender as well

Get Adobe Flash player

I guess it depends on what kind of temps your bike sits in. If it's colder than freezing or even say 45* I don't think there is any way your going to safely get it hot enough to burn off any moisture, actually you are going to create moisture. If it's stiff, the battery is going to take a hit because it's trying to move a stiff engine and will need some time to recover. If your environment is never below freezing then you probably get some pretty warm days and and it probably won't hurt anything but I'm still in the camp of just letting it hibernate till it's time to ride regularly.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by Supertouch View Post
    I read starting them for a bit and letting them run is bad. Being the moisture gets in there and isn’t good for the motor.
    Yep that's my opinion all right......... If you can't ride it for at least 15 miles it's much better to just let it sit and just turn the motor over once a month if you can.... Also an empty gas tank with the cap off is also better than a full tank without some kind of additive in the gas...... But what the fuck do I know I've let bikes sit for years I just add gas put in a new battery and your ready to go riding.........

Share This