X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • PutALittleHeatOnIt
    • Aug 2021

Questions about my next bike, and "bulletproofing" a shovelhead

Hey guys
    Unfortunately after totalling my bike last week I am in the market for a new Harley. Still have everything attached so it could be worse but in the process of healing up.
    I'm torn between buying a big twin Evo or picking up a bike I've always dreamed of owning, a 1981 FXE. The shovelhead is complete but the top end is in a box, which isn't a huge deal to me as I've put motors together before, mostly twin Cam and Evo.
    I know that the Evo tends to be a much more reliable motor, and a lot of my riding is multi day trips out to campsites or other long, sometimes 500+ mile destinations.
    What I'm wondering is if there is a way to build a shovel motor to be able to do this kind of riding without any major issues or if I should just wait on the shovel and go with an Evo

Thanks everyone
  • DoomBuggy
    • Oct 2016

I'll get you started.

The motor is 40 years old, and you know it was pushed for at least a part of its life. Strip it down, have a quality machinist /builder go through it, decide if you want to assemble or have the builder do it.

Question to the builders on the forum, does anyone Magnaflux anymore? I know the true magnaflux process only works on iron, but they have dyes for aluminum castings, was wondering if they work as well.

Comment

• Tattooo
      • Sep 2012

Originally posted by PutALittleHeatOnIt
      What I'm wondering is if there is a way to build a shovel motor to be able to do this kind of riding without any major issues or if I should just wait on the shovel and go with an Evo

Thanks everyone
      Yes there is a way to make a Shovel dependable,,,,,,,,, , Keep it as close to stock as possible......... You will have way fewer problems in the long run.........

Best of luck.

Comment

• JBinNC
        • Dec 2018

I would consider shovelheads to be as reliable as evos, within limits. The shovel top ends don't last as long (they don't cool as well as an evo). The four speeds tend to leak and wear out, compared to the near bulletproof five speeds. And as farmall will be here to tell you, the shovel starter system leaves something to desired compared to the excellent evo Denso starters.

Bottom line, if that's what you want, go for it. Tempus fugit.

Jim

Comment

• PutALittleHeatOnIt
          • Aug 2021

Thanks everyone. The shovel I'm looking at does have both kick and electric. I think as soon as I get the insurance payout I'm gonna take the plunge. I'll have everything looked over/worked by my machinist before assembly. If it ever comes down to a lower end rebuild, is there any advantage to switching to Delkron cases?

Comment

• confab
            • May 2019

They used to ride them all over the country.. The Shovel was considered a massive improvement over what came before.

Comment

• JBinNC
              • Dec 2018

Originally posted by PutALittleHeatOnIt
              Thanks everyone. The shovel I'm looking at does have both kick and electric. I think as soon as I get the insurance payout I'm gonna take the plunge. I'll have everything looked over/worked by my machinist before assembly. If it ever comes down to a lower end rebuild, is there any advantage to switching to Delkron cases?
              Nothing wrong with the stock cases as long as they are serviceable (no bad cracks or wreck damage). Use good quality parts in the rebuild and you will get years and years of service out of it.

Jim

Comment

• PutALittleHeatOnIt
                • Aug 2021

Thank you Jim, I see your quality responses on quite a few threads and really appreciate your wisdom!

Comment

• rockman96
                  • May 2018

What I would suggest is to go through your motor and bore/stroke it to 93". Put a softail primary or belt on it, and a six speed. Do this and you can fly all day down the interstate and not hurt it, or yourself. Personally, I'd snag a used Twinkie FLH of sorts, and keep the bored/stroked FXE at home for around town. Of course I'm getting old...

Comment

• Dragstews
                    • Sep 2010

Originally posted by DoomBuggy

Question to the builders on the forum, does anyone Magnaflux anymore?

Some do, and some don't ....
                    Take my 45 and outrun em all ..

Comment

• flatman
                      • Sep 2017

aircraft mechanics usually have magnaflux capabilities, or access to it, if your local car engine rebuilder doesnt.
                      Last edited by flatman; 09-27-2021, 6:14 PM.

Comment

• farmall
                        • Apr 2013

I'd get the Evo then build a Shovel as a second bike. If money is too tight for two bikes it's too tight for downtime.

You can always drop a Shovel into an Evo later if you wish. If getting an Evo later is better.

Alternate option, if the Shovel is priced right get that then get something else (need not be a Harley, the world is full of perfectly good other motorcycles) for touring seriously. Many bikers have multiple motorcycles of multiple brands since they don't eat much.

Comment

• TriNortchopz
                          • Dec 2017

A few tidbits here:

Shovelhead Savvy

"Build ’em to last, not to go fast.'

If buildin' old school choppers was easy, anyone could do it... ain't nobody said it's gonna be easy...

Comment

• JBinNC
                            • Dec 2018

Originally posted by TriNortchopz
                            A few tidbits here:

Shovelhead Savvy

"Build ’em to last, not to go fast.'

https://thunderpress.net/editorial/s...2019/10/15.htm
                            I just read that over. The author doesn't know much about shovelheads, is my conclusion. Most of the advice is expensive and bogus.

Jim

Comment

• Sugarcubes
                              • Apr 2024

I love my Evo. As a daily mile muncher and all weather bike, I find it a perfect mix of old soul and slightly more modern tech.
                              Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	140.1 KB
ID:	1320322

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                              Working...
                              ;