CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search
  1. #1
    Senior Member

    Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

    Get Adobe Flash player


    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Posts
    2,773

    Default Sturgis 2020; 'This is a major experiment. It could be a major mistake,'

    Don't you wish you were there;

    Bikers descend on South Dakota for massive rally with scant COVID-19 precautions
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1227968015.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	226.4 KB 
ID:	105525
    'This is a major experiment. It could be a major mistake,' says attendee in Sturgis

    The coronavirus may be changing the world, but there aren't many signs of the pandemic at the massive annual motorcycle rally being held this week at a small city along Interstate 90 in western South Dakota.

    The scene Saturday at the 80th annual Sturgis Motorcycle Rally was familiar to veterans of the event, with throngs of maskless bikers packing the streets.
    https://www.cbc.ca/news/world/sturgi...irus-1.5679461

    meanwhile;

    "The United States has now recorded more than five million cases of COVID-19, with more than 162,000 deaths, since identifying its first confirmed case of the new respiratory illness in January, according to data from Johns Hopkins University.

    Health officials believe the actual number is perhaps 10 times higher, or closer to 50 million, given testing limitations and the fact that as many as 40 per cent of all those who are infected have no symptoms.

    New cases of infection in the U.S. caused by the novel coronavirus run at about 54,000 a day and while that's down from a peak of well over 70,000 last month, cases are rising in nearly 20 states.'

    https://www.cbc.ca/news/world/corona...aug9-1.5679855

  2. #2
    Senior Member

    Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

    Get Adobe Flash player


    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    2,242

    Default

    As someone who has ridden a bike for a big part of my life, I really do believe my life is my choice. If and when I feel the need, I should decide if I will wear a helmet, I don;t need the nanny state to tell me what to do.

    HOWEVER, this is different, we are talking about a worldwide pandemic here and it is not about the people who are going to Sturgis, but rather the people who they will be bringing this home to. The grandmothers, nephews, nurses, students, etc.

    We live in a very free society, but part of that freedom is recognizing the greater good and doing what is needed for that greater good.

    OK soapbox off...

  3. #3
    Senior Member

    Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

    Get Adobe Flash player


    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    285

    Default

    And if you get brain damaged and in a coma the nanny state will take care of you.

  4. #4
    Senior Member

    Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

    Get Adobe Flash player


    Join Date
    May 2020
    Posts
    179

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DoomBuggy View Post
    As someone who has ridden a bike for a big part of my life, I really do believe my life is my choice. If and when I feel the need, I should decide if I will wear a helmet, I don;t need the nanny state to tell me what to do.

    HOWEVER, this is different, we are talking about a worldwide pandemic here and it is not about the people who are going to Sturgis, but rather the people who they will be bringing this home to. The grandmothers, nephews, nurses, students, etc.

    We live in a very free society, but part of that freedom is recognizing the greater good and doing what is needed for that greater good.

    OK soapbox off...
    I absolutely agree

    Freedom is awesome but in order to have it we have to have the common sense needed to realize that our actions can and will affect those around us

    If people don't start realizing that fact soon some other folks are gonna come and try to take away that freedom and I bet there not gonna be real nice to us

  5. #5
    Senior Member

    Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

    Get Adobe Flash player


    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Posts
    965

    Default

    Cost of freedom is sacrifice. I don't think the folks running Sturgis thought this one through.

  6. #6
    Senior Member

    Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

    Get Adobe Flash player


    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    943

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fetch View Post
    Cost of freedom is sacrifice. I don't think the folks running Sturgis thought this one through.
    Exactly, freedom includes a responsibility to do your part when needed for the overall good of society. People packing into Sturgis this year is very selfish. We'll just have to see how it plays out.

  7. #7
    Senior Member

    Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

    Get Adobe Flash player


    Join Date
    May 2020
    Posts
    179

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BadMonkeyMW View Post
    Exactly, freedom includes a responsibility to do your part when needed for the overall good of society. People packing into Sturgis this year is very selfish. We'll just have to see how it plays out.
    Yep my no contact policy for dropping parts off for paint will be extending well into next year

  8. #8
    Senior Member

    Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

    Get Adobe Flash player


    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    12,389

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BadMonkeyMW View Post
    Exactly, freedom includes a responsibility to do your part when needed for the overall good of society. People packing into Sturgis this year is very selfish.
    Damn right,

  9. #9
    Senior Member

    Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

    Get Adobe Flash player


    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    1,743

    Default

    Wonder how many Darwin Awards will be awarded? It's a shame that everybody who comes close to the deliberate Darwin contestants gets entered also!
    Dusty

  10. #10
    Senior Member

    Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

    Get Adobe Flash player


    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    1,092

    Default

    Everyone is guilty. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tumblr_de2e378ac1c029b67674a9b7538bf744_b1a8df66_1280.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	95.1 KB 
ID:	105677

  11. #11
    Senior Member

    Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

    Get Adobe Flash player


    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    2,242

    Default

    Oh yes, that is just the same....

  12. #12
    Senior Member

    Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

    Get Adobe Flash player


    Join Date
    May 2020
    Posts
    179

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by klondikekid64 View Post
    Everyone is guilty. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tumblr_de2e378ac1c029b67674a9b7538bf744_b1a8df66_1280.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	95.1 KB 
ID:	105677
    Well I figure when theres some highly contagious virus running rampant around the world gathering in thousands to "protest peacefully" or whatever dumb excuse theyre using (might as well just be honest and say you just wanna break shit) is just as fucking stupid as gathering at a bike rally crowds are crowds no matter what they're doing they're going to bring back some viral hitchhikers to their community but hey there will be plenty of used bikes for sale soon
    Last edited by Nobodyknowsimashithead; 08-16-2020 at 4:47 PM.

  13. #13
    Senior Member

    Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

    Get Adobe Flash player


    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    329

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nobodyknowsimashithead View Post
    Well I figure when theres some highly contagious virus running rampant around the world gathering in thousands to "protest peacefully" or whatever dumb excuse theyre using (might as well just be honest and say you just wanna break shit) is just as fucking stupid as gathering at a bike rally... crowds are crowds no matter what they're doing they're going to bring back some viral hitchhikers to their community but hey there will be plenty of used bikes for sale soon
    I'd say the biggest difference here is that the peaceful protests are happening with the intent to influence change within the system and Sturgis is happening strictly for the tourism income.

  14. #14
    Senior Member

    Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

    Get Adobe Flash player


    Join Date
    May 2020
    Posts
    179

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CarloFreeze View Post
    I'd say the biggest difference here is that the peaceful protests are happening with the intent to influence change within the system and Sturgis is happening strictly for the tourism income.
    Yeah your right one is socially motivated and the other is monetary
    And in the context of viral transmission they're both doing essentially the same thing
    Me not being a fan of bike events or protests I don't see the point in either at this stage of the game

  15. #15
    Senior Member

    Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

    Get Adobe Flash player


    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    2,242

    Default

    The other thing is the protests ( not the f'ing looters ) were in the 100 to 200 person range, growing as big as 1,000 with a mix of people wearing masks and some without.

    Sturgis was around 250,000 people with hardly a mask to be seen.

    Again your choice, but have enough love for those around you to quarantine for a couple of weeks before visiting them or going back to work.

  16. #16
    Senior Member

    Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

    Get Adobe Flash player


    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Posts
    2,409

    Default

    Ah, the Sirens of Sturgis luring men to their doom.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sturgis2020.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	68.6 KB 
ID:	105710

Share This



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Log in