Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LostoResto
    • Sep 2021

Frame Geometry - Paughco

I was curious if anyone knew if this frame geometry was correct. I have been gathering a lot of info this past 18 months for a Sporty frame swap and love the look of this bike.

Do you know what’s enjoyable to sit and think about sometimes? The evolution of our own personal interests. Time has a definite influence over our curiosities. In John Wagner’s case, the progression that led to his interest in choppers makes perfect sense. Dirt bikes led to skateboarding, which led to cars and more motorcycles. There’s a good chance this sounds familiar to many of you.

I know, I know... Ask the builder. So initially, I reached out to Paughco to see if they had any idea which frame they used during the build. Paughco came back and explained they could not make a definitive guess unless I provided the VIN number. Seeing as that is unrealistic, I searched for the builder or owner in to ask the question.

Eventually, I found the owner, complimented the bike of course, and asked which Paughco frame was used. He said, "stock rake, no stretch." I sent over a picture of the Paughco frame styles with the S120E highlighted and he confirmed that was the one. I was appreciative of the feedback but do wonder if this is the S120E frame (30 deg rake) or if it is maybe the S120EA (35 deg rake). I do not mean to question the owner but after viewing some other 30 deg Paughco builds this bike looks a bit more raked with the 4" extended tubes, Am I wrong?

I appreciate any insight you may provide. I am debating between the 30 Deg and 35 Deg Paughco frame so I appreciate any advice or examples you may share.
  • TomK
    • Oct 2013

Looks like stock rake to me. Adding longer down tubes will effectively increase rake, so that’s why it might look like more. Personally, I think that bike would look better with a 35 degree rake with those fork tubes. The frame would be level and would probably handle better too.

Comment

• Sugarcubes
      • Apr 2024

do the 35 degree. Stock rake rigid sportsters jacked up on long forks have been done to death and are fugly

Comment

• Down
        • Jan 2016

Originally posted by Sugarcubes
        do the 35 degree. Stock rake rigid sportsters jacked up on long forks have been done to death and are fugly
        He wants it to be a stock rake jacked up long fork bike. Your (or mine for that matter) opinion doesn't matter here, it's his bike and he asked how it can look like the bike he wants it to look like.

LostoResto, it looks like 30 degree rake and longer fork tubes is what you want. Don't listen to these who calculate rake and trail on some computer and tell you it's unrideable just because the numbers say so. My Sportsters have been everything from 30 to 38-ish degrees rake and forks ranging from stock to 10" over, they all handled fine and I rode them hard.

Comment

• DoomBuggy
          • Oct 2016

I have not had my first cup of coffee yet, so forgive me if I sound a bit harsh. You can ride almost any configuration at low speed and in a straight line. Trail becomes oh so important at speed and hard cornering. I too have ridden some sick shit and lived to tell, however I have also experienced "the wobble" at speed and that has made me a believer.

Common wisdom comes about from group experience...

Comment

• TomK
            • Oct 2013

People who ask questions want answers, but they don’t always know to ask the right question. I’m speaking from my own experience, and I appreciate it when others try to help.

Even if the OP is going for a jacked up look, he’d be better served with more rake. All things being equal, raking increases trail and jacking up the front end with extra long tubes decreases trail. Using the right combination of both can get him the look he wants and decent handling.

Comment

• Tattooo
              • Sep 2012

Originally posted by DoomBuggy
              You can ride almost any configuration at low speed and in a straight line. Trail becomes oh so important at speed and hard cornering.

Common wisdom comes about from group experience...

I totally agree,
              But I will add one thing, Many people can ride anything a little well.......... It really depends on the skills of the rider.......... I have seen it many times, Many people that build a bike with an odd set up just because they like the look without ever riding it or even consider how it will ride, Either Love it, learn to like it or they hate it and either sell it or change it............ Yea I know that covers it all......... LOL

At least with people being honest with the OP he knows what he's getting into....

I say the bike has a 30 degree rake..............

Comment

• LostoResto
                • Sep 2021

Haha. I did not mean to get anyone spun up. I’m not wanting a stock frame with 10 overs. I am aware of trail of course but was just curious about this one in particular.
                I haven’t worked the math yet but can’t imagine a 35 degree with 4-6 overs is too aggressive.

I do appreciate all the insight and help here gentlemen. I love the expertise and experience.

Comment

• Tattooo
                  • Sep 2012

Originally posted by LostoResto
                  I haven’t worked the math yet but can’t imagine a 35 degree with 4-6 overs is too aggressive.

That would be a very good combination in my opinion.................

Comment

• DoomBuggy
                    • Oct 2016

Agreed, stock with 2" works decently as well.

Comment

• Down
                      • Jan 2016

Originally posted by LostoResto
                      This one I really regret selling.
                      35 degree rake, Wide Glide trees and 6" over tubes with a 21" wheel.

Comment

• confab
                        • May 2019

My bike is a big twin, but it is fine with 36 degrees and about 7 over (8" tubes with long dampers, not fully extended) on the forks.

It slows your turns a bit, but it isn't a radical or scary change.

Comment

• LostoResto
                          • Sep 2021

I appreciate it. This is the info I and look I am hoping to achieve… as well as a fun bike to ride around.

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                          Working...
                          ;