Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • docmel
    • May 2015

1969 frame with VIN boss question

Last weekend I saw something that I have seen once before years back. An supposedly OEM H-D 1969 frame with a VIN boss on the neck, with no numbers, just a blank boss. As we know, frame VIN bosses came into being in the 1970 models. 69-earlier the neck was smooth where the 1970 models raised VIN boss would eventually be located

Years ago when I first saw this, it was in a restored, pretty much original FLH. Numbers on the engine looked great, correct fonts, but there was the frame neck VIN boss, blank. Owner said it was the original frame and motor, as they came from the factory. He stated there were few 1969 HD frames that did come with a blank neck VIN boss. A "getting ready for the 1970 model year" kinda thing. Since anything was pretty much possible from the factory, (both MC and auto manufactorers did do some strange things in transition years back in the day), on the surface, I guess I can go with that...................

So this weekend there was gathering of old MC iron. American, Japanese, British: And there were some super untouched and restored bikes in each class. And one was a 1969 FLH. It too had a neck VIN boss, blank. Patina on this entire survivor example was right on the money. A very close examination showed patinsaon the various very small detail items that would really take allot of work and search to replace to get that bike in its current state, items that dont get replaced over the years, or tossed. I asked, and got the same explanation as previously stated

OR.......... Lets say a person had a 1969 model, right off the showroom floor. A year or more later, he wrecks it, takes it to a dealer, and they replace the frame with an OEM 1970 or later frame. Which is possible. Heck, 5-6 owners later wouldnt know if this was the case

Your thoughts?
  • confab
    • May 2019

OR.......... Lets say a person had a 1969 model, right off the showroom floor. A year or more later, he wrecks it...
    Man, that sure sounds plausible.

I bet a lot of wrecks affect frame geometry, and little else. What WOULD you do with such a bike but replace the frame?

If dealers were still hand stamping replacement cases at the time? Good bet they did it for frames, also.

Comment

• Down
      • Jan 2016

I've heard the same thing that guy told you, some late model 69 frames had the boss on there blank.

Comment

• ncmc47
        • Oct 2012

There was at least on after market co. selling necks with the number boss. Don't remember if they sold frames that way, but they would certainly look AM if they did.

Comment

• docmel
          • May 2015

Talking factory OEM frames... So let's say 1969 models were actually made in 1968. Its hard to beleive then that bosses would be on any of these frames would have a VIN boss...

I'm thinking the more accurate answer would be somewhere down the ownership line in the two examples I mentioned that the frames were replaced with 1970-slightly later frames (with bosses)

Comment

• TriNortchopz
            • Dec 2017

2018 Thread: Help ID Shovelhead frame

..."it could be a 1969 frame with an un-numbered boss:

2010 Classic American Iron thread: can this be right?
            indianut posted:
            ..."If this were a '69 or back it would have a Key Lock, not a padlock Loop. That is what i thought. I spoke with my Early Shovel Expert and she says the '69 would have a padlock loop. She also said she has a frame dated J 9 with a BLANK number boss. Another way to pin down the date of the frame is if it has the loop on the Left Rear for the brake hose. That would make it '72 back. BUT, my other friend with a '69 has a Key lock in the neck. That may be an early '69 frame. The point is that we Have Seen a Frame with a pad and NO Numbers. The J 9 Frame. It has the padlock loop."
            and
            Speeding Big Twin posted:
            ..."some late-1969 BT frames had an unstamped VIN boss. Depending on the year of your frame, or indeed the year of just the steering head, you may find one capital letter followed by three or four numbers stamped on the LEFT side of the steering head. But if there, they will be small and may be hard to spot so look closely..."
            and
            ..."your lady friend is correct regarding the 1969 frame having a padlock loop. It seems it first appeared on late-68 frames although it was undrilled on those. I’ve discussed the BT 4-speed swingarm frame several times with a member of HDForums.com and he owns a late-68 FLH and his frame has an undrilled padlock loop..."

So I have a chance to pick up a Shovelhead frame but the year is in question. Seller says it is pre 70’s no number frame but there is a flat spot on the neck casting that looks as if it should have numbers but it doesn’t would a pre 70’s frame have a spot like this for numbers also has a square swing arm I’m not sure of what
            If buildin' old school choppers was easy, anyone could do it... ain't nobody said it's gonna be easy...

Comment

• TriNortchopz
              • Dec 2017

This may be of interest;

Motorcycle Identification
              A Guide To The Identification Of All Make And Models Of Motorcycles

Harley starts on page 35

If buildin' old school choppers was easy, anyone could do it... ain't nobody said it's gonna be easy...

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
              Working...
              ;