Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Tattooo
    • Sep 2012

Originally posted by rockman96
    but to say that they are superior to a Dyna S is just ignorant.

LOL Where did I say that?????????? Show me???????????

Your the one that used the word superior...............
    Last edited by Tattooo; 09-22-2021, 10:45 AM.

Comment

• rockman96
      • May 2018

Originally posted by firstripholdmybeer
      Thanks for all the info. I’m moving soon so I’ll have to double check jetting once I do that. Very good info on the tappet/rod topic. I’ll stick with solids because I do agree with the simplicity. I’ve also heard the hydraulics need adjusting more depending on which ones you have.

As for the dyna S, I have no doubt that that’s what I want in my motor. I was hesitant at first until seeing a couple people on here say they’d had em in a couple of their bikes for 30+ years without any issues. Thanks for mentioning that bit about the mechanical advance though Jim, I would’ve never know or thought about that thing until I was stranded haha.
      You will be very happy with the Dyna. We all ran them on our street bikes, and even in the nitro bike (Pro Drag) back throughout the 1990's. They just work. Good luck.

Comment

• TomK
        • Oct 2013

I’ll stick with solids because I do agree with the simplicity. I’ve also heard the hydraulics need adjusting more depending on which ones you have.
        Stick with what you have. I have solids in my Ironhead and they work; I have hydraulics in my Shovelhead and they work. Solids are noisy at first if you can hear them over the pipes, and should be checked/adjusted more often, but it’s easy enough to do. Very simple and hard to fuck up. Hydraulics are quieter, can be easier on the valve train, and require little adjustment once set. They are harder to adjust, though , and easier to do wrong. Cost more too. Personally, I wouldn’t spend money switching unless you had to.

Comment

• JBinNC
          • Dec 2018

Originally posted by rockman96
          You will be very happy with the Dyna. We all ran them on our street bikes, and even in the nitro bike (Pro Drag) back throughout the 1990's. They just work. Good luck.
          Yep, we ran two Dyna S, stacked, on our Pro Drag fuel bike, up to '06 (when I retired from that fun).

Jim

Comment

• Tattooo
            • Sep 2012

Originally posted by JBinNC
            Yep, we ran two Dyna S, stacked, on our Pro Drag fuel bike, up to '06 (when I retired from that fun).

Jim
            Oh yea on a drag bike that's the way to go for sure in the modern era of drag bikes............. I'd even bet your drag bikes had a rev limiter in the later years......
            But he doesn't have a drag bike........ Did you ever run points back in the day??????????

I didn't say I didn't like Dyna I was just trying to give him suggestions to help him fix his bike........ Just like you do.........

This was my first post you guys need to read it again.....

{I say points will solve your problems.................... I doubt it's your valve adjustment........ And fix your oil leak..........

Also you really need to get that almost kink out of your fuel line............. That will be a problem in the future...............}

Comment

• rockman96
              • May 2018

Jim
              Drag race campers from hell! Buncha heatherns! LOL

Comment

• JBinNC
                • Dec 2018

Originally posted by Tattooo
                Oh yea on a drag bike that's the way to go for sure in the modern era of drag bikes............. I'd even bet your drag bikes had a rev limiter in the later years......
                But he doesn't have a drag bike........ Did you ever run points back in the day??????????

I didn't say I didn't like Dyna I was just trying to give him suggestions to help him fix his bike........ Just like you do.........

This was my first post you guys need to read it again.....

{I say points will solve your problems.................... I doubt it's your valve adjustment........ And fix your oil leak..........

Also you really need to get that almost kink out of your fuel line............. That will be a problem in the future...............}
                The Dyna S gives a consistent spark down to zero rpm. It is more consistent and dependable than points any day, and all the more so these days when condensers are hit or miss quality wise. The fuel bike application is just an example of the Dyna S reliability. Ignition is PARAMOUNT for a fuel motor.

Nothing wrong with points, I never said there was. But if the OP has a Dyna S, then points won't 'solve his problem " as you averred. I would agree with rockman, points would be a step backwards. You are of course free to disagree, we each have our own approach to these things.

Jim

P.S. Oh, and no rev limiter on the Pro Drag motor. And ours would run 5800 or so rpm, which is a lot for those old tractors (and idled at 2800 rpm).

Comment

• DoomBuggy
                  • Oct 2016

I think you hit it on the head, it is not points per se, but the quality of the condenser that will bite you in the ass. Also you really do need to occasionally lube the points cam or they will eat the rubbing block and that results in a lot of adjustments.

I've cracked more than one old cars distributor open to find some really old points in there that needed nothing more than a file to get the right.

Comment

• JBinNC
                    • Dec 2018

Originally posted by DoomBuggy
                    I think you hit it on the head, it is not points per se, but the quality of the condenser that will bite you in the ass. Also you really do need to occasionally lube the points cam or they will eat the rubbing block and that results in a lot of adjustments.

I've cracked more than one old cars distributor open to find some really old points in there that needed nothing more than a file to get the right.
                    On the generator motors I try to save the old points if possible because there is little of quality out there for a replacement.

Jim

Comment

• Tattooo
                      • Sep 2012

You are of course free to disagree, we each have our own approach to these things.

Jim

My point exactly...................

Comment

• confab
                        • May 2019

Modern ignitions are so fucking cool.

You can tune mine on a laptop. (If you can ever run down the hard to find interface cable) You can put a VOES on it and suck timing out when you crack it or lug it. Solid State. No adjustments, lubing little blocks or any of that crap. Timing is a breeze.

But, I have to say that.. If it ever acts up? (Especially short of just dying outright) There's no good way to diagnose it beyond just buying another one and replacing it to see if that's the problem. If you're beside the road? You better have a $200 dollar module in your saddlebag, or you're fucked.

Electronic ignition is great. Computerized ignition is absolute tops! As long as they work.

Comment

• DoomBuggy
                          • Oct 2016

Also keep in mind that a set of points out of a chevy 6 banger from the 50s and 60s fit. That means pretty much any NAPA in any town will have them in stock.

Comment

• Tattooo
                            • Sep 2012

But if the OP has a Dyna S, then points won't 'solve his problem " as you averred.
                            Jim I was thinking about the above what you said........ Sure points would solve his problem if his dyna isn't working correctly. I bet I could fix it with a points set up........ When I give advice, I try to give the easiest path to me but there are always other avenues...... Neither path is wrong as long as it fixes his bike................
                            Just saying..............

Comment

• firstripholdmybeer
                              • Apr 2018

Originally posted by Tattooo

I’m going to mess with it all today and if I’m still having a hard time with it I probably will end up switching back to points. Thanks for the suggestion, a lot of my buddies here in Oregon have also said they’ll only do points.

It looks like a kink in a picture, it’s just a weird angle.

Comment

• Tattooo
                                • Sep 2012

I’m going to mess with it all today and if I’m still having a hard time with it I probably will end up switching back to points. Thanks for the suggestion, a lot of my buddies here in Oregon have also said they’ll only do points.

It looks like a kink in a picture, it’s just a weird angle.
                                I truly hope you can figure it out without having to spend any money...... I'm glad it's not a kink/tight loop in the fuel line..........

Best of luck...........

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                                Working...
                                ;