Looking for a Chrome Shop in the Midwest, recommendations?

Collapse

Desktop Ad Forum Top

Collapse

Mobile ad top forum

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dankmelater
    • Jul 2019

Looking for a Chrome Shop in the Midwest, recommendations?

Yo, I'm curious if anyone has a small batch chrome shop in the Midwest they've worked with? I have a handful of small parts I've made for my bike that I'd like to get chromed, as well as a few old stock parts I'm wanting to get re-chromed. I called like 5 shops in my area and none of them were willing to do small batch stuff, called a handful of others around the state and got the same response.

I'm located in Michigan, fine with shipping things around the state. Anyone got a midwest chrome shop plug?
  • TomK
    • Oct 2013

I had a sissy bar chromed this summer by The Finishing Touch in Chicago. They did an awesome job and got it done quick. I’m in Cleveland and all the local shops were booked for months.

Click image for larger version

Name:	F9285C4F-62E3-4C06-B3EA-5300C94B4193.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	46.8 KB
ID:	1320250

Comment

• Dragstews
      • Sep 2010

Take my 45 and outrun em all ..

Comment

• dankmelater
        • Jul 2019

Ha, thought at first you were just telling me to use Google. Thanks for that one, I'll give 'em a call about what I got.

Cheers.

Comment

• dankmelater
          • Jul 2019

Originally posted by TomK
          I had a sissy bar chromed this summer by The Finishing Touch in Chicago. They did an awesome job and got it done quick. I’m in Cleveland and all the local shops were booked for months.
          Oh word, I'll hit them up thanks. I'm in Chicago all the time for work, hopefully it works out.

Thanks

Comment

• DoomBuggy
            • Oct 2016

I can also recommend The Finishing Touch, they have done work for me on both some auto restorations and on my Panhead. They are not cheap, but not outrageous either. The shop has some AMAZING pics of the cars they have done chrome for.

It is getting hard to find a good shop that will do small lots. Good luck

Comment

• tzienlee
              • Apr 2024

& remember,
              the better the item you send for chroming, the better it will be when you get it back,
              90% of chroming, like with Painting, is all in the prep work, clean, de burred & even polished as well as you can do yourself, it all helps to a good chrome job.

Comment

• rockman96
                • May 2018

Originally posted by tzienlee
                & remember,
                the better the item you send for chroming, the better it will be when you get it back,
                90% of chroming, like with Painting, is all in the prep work, clean, de burred & even polished as well as you can do yourself, it all helps to a good chrome job.
                This is SO important! Send a part with a shitty surface and you'll get a shitty part back. Shitty chrome looks worse than no chrome.

Comment

• Dragstews
                  • Sep 2010

Originally posted by dankmelater

Thanks for that one, I'll give 'em a call about what I got.

Cheers.
                  Show Chrome is their Specialty ..

Take my 45 and outrun em all ..

Comment

• dankmelater
                    • Jul 2019

Originally posted by tzienlee
                    & remember,
                    Thanks for the helpful tips here. Being the first time I'd have worked with getting parts chromed, this is great advice. Past parts I've made have just been painted, learned pretty quick my shitty welds still look shitty under paint.

Thanks

Comment

• TomK
                      • Oct 2013

Shitty welds look shitty under chrome too, and you can’t use Bondo to make them look better. I had a pro finish weld my sissy bar before I had it chromed. I trust my welding only for things that aren’t visible or can be molded over and won’t instantly kill me if they fail.

Comment

• DoomBuggy
                        • Oct 2016

Many chromers offer a smoothing service, my welds are not pretty AT ALL. But if you look you can see how they were smoothed out and made pretty. Sorry I didn't clean this bar up before taking the pics, but you get the idea. I THINK I paid an extra 50 or 75 bucks to get them smoothed out before chroming.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2574.JPG
Size:	238.5 KB
ID:	1320258Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2575.JPG
Size:	109.1 KB
ID:	1320259

Comment

• shovelheadfreak
                          • Sep 2012

I've used Quality Plating in Sterling Ill

Originally posted by DoomBuggy
                          Many chromers offer a smoothing service, my welds are not pretty AT ALL. But if you look you can see how they were smoothed out and made pretty. Sorry I didn't clean this bar up before taking the pics, but you get the idea. I THINK I paid an extra 50 or 75 bucks to get them smoothed out before chroming.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]105563[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]105564[/ATTACH]
                          with very good luck but it's been a few years. 8156265223 owners name is Gary.

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                          Working...
                          ;