Mobile ad top forum

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • farmall
    • Apr 2013

Generator/gear/etc time then. What are your thoughts on the CE DGV 5000 (high output since I'll run electric start) vs. separate regulators?

I don't care about using original bolt thread pitch, just correct bolt heads, and if the stocker case threads even look slightly questionable please do an insert repair (barrel type of your choice but no helical wire inserts unless there's some compelling reason to).

Keyed inserts are the best and used on aircraft but a non-keyed barrel (with anti-seize on the generator bolt threads because dry threads are Satan's playground) leaves room for future (preferably not in my lifetime) replacement.

Your thoughts?

Info for other readers:

Tank question:
    Anyone make correctly shaped 3.5 gallon split tank repops? I don't need the old-style shutoff (I prefer Pingel as I only had to reseal one...after thirty years) but fives just aren't graceful enough. I can certainly heat and beat the inboard side of typical tanks like I do fives (anyone else reading, FIT YOUR TANKS BEFORE PAINTING!) but on this one I prefer it right.
    Last edited by farmall; 11-19-2021, 9:36 PM.

Comment

• Dragstews
      • Sep 2010

Your motor case has been drilled for using 5/16" bolts that the 65-A 12V gens used ...
      As far as a built-ln reg goes, sure cleans up on some wiring ....
      Might be best to Pow-Wow with Carl at Cyc-Ele (937-884-7300) about your needs ... Tell him what you are planning to run, battery size, load etc ....

Also tell him I want to borrow his Sea-Ray for a few weeks, want to do some Island hopping down in the Bahamas ...

... /// https://youtu.be/rZ642zSpQgc \\\ ...

Last edited by Dragstews; 11-19-2021, 10:15 PM.
      Take my 45 and outrun em all ..

Comment

• farmall
        • Apr 2013

I'll call him next week.

Comment

• Dragstews
          • Sep 2010

Alright ....

Since the Oem gear was on the money with having the back-lash as perfect as it gets, I went ahead and did the cut for the lobe swing ...

This is not the first time that the Lighting C.B. gears has gave me grief on setup ...

This one was loose as a goose ... !!

What's needed is one that's from the middle ....

Anyways, the fitment problem has been solved with a gear from old stock and a bit of work on my end ...

Not sure what I'm going to do with the VT gear, got a few bucks in it and wasted time ..
          (Not to mention wearing out the threads on the cam cover..)

I know what I'd like to do with it, but most likely it wouldn't fit there .. !!

Last edited by Dragstews; 11-20-2021, 7:18 PM.

Comment

• rockman96
            • May 2018

I really like that mic you're using for valve spring set up. Slick!

Comment

• Dragstews
              • Sep 2010

That critter comes in handy as tits on a milk cow ...

End-play went easy, the old C.B. gear was .002" under what the Lighting gear mic-ed at ..

Will ya look at dat .... The Mag base is all the way down on the case ...

Comment

• farmall
                • Apr 2013

Not sure what I'm going to do with the VT gear, got a few bucks in it and wasted time ..
                They're aware of their quality compromises and should refund the money and throw in a tool or something gratis for your highly informed feedback.

They keep a lot of HDs on the road but better QC (and buying domestically for machined parts) wouldn't kill them.

Comment

• Dragstews
                  • Sep 2010

Originally posted by farmall

They keep a lot of HDs on the road but better QC (and buying domestically for machined parts) wouldn't kill them.
                  I think the lost may be in the translation .... อะไรวะ
                  (https://translate.google.com/?sl=en&...ranslate&hl=en)

VT got back to me on the C.B. gear ...
                  Said they didn't have a way to check it, said to return it for a refund ..

As far as all the dead work that went down .... I've got to .....

Oh well ....
                  Last edited by Dragstews; 11-23-2021, 11:37 AM.

Comment

• Dragstews
                    • Sep 2010

Didn't need to do this work ...

See the overhang ^^ on the Mag base to case ..

Well Sir, every time my eyeball fell on that area I saw a eyesore ...

Got a nice match now, need to throw on a shine and wait for the Morris order to show up .. That part of the doings is done ...

Truth be I had the tools laid out to take care of some war wounds the Mag seen over the years, so why not hit a lick on the eyesore ...

Timing the Mag will soon go down ...

Getting there ...

Last edited by Dragstews; 11-23-2021, 1:24 PM.

Comment

• Dragstews
                      • Sep 2010

I know what that is ...

"Weird" is what it is ...
                      Last edited by Dragstews; 11-23-2021, 9:12 PM.

Comment

• farmall
                        • Apr 2013

Good to know about the mag case mismatch. That stuff is why I enjoy your threads. Nice blend job!

V-Twin must have had a clueless salesdroid fielding questions since any machine shop can compare to a known good gear first by mic'ing diameter but also by (more complex) checking pitch and profile. They just don't care so I do not want their gears in anything I own because if they fuck up the tooth profile that can make a lot of chips in a hurry or gradually make small chips slowly.

Eastern Motorcycle Parts in SC makes https://www.denniskirk.com/eastern-m...rd/1403599.sku and if 32531-36 is not the correct PN they may make the correct one.

Gears are complex to machine (especially worm gears) and doing that right is more demanding than simple castings like heads which are basic milling, drilling, reaming and tapping. I can live with their repop heads but please no V-Twin gears in my engine as your ordeal tells me they have no fucking serious QC department despite slinging more than enough volume to have proper inspections done or do it on premises. It would suck to have one of their trash gears waste an engine.

Making their customers their QC is bullshit but many firms do that because their management are greedy fucksticks.

If the ChiComs making the worm gears can't be arsed to measure them then everything else including heat treat and alloy is questionable too.

Note to others less familiar: If ya need to check engagement on any gear one way is clean with brake cleaner then hit all the teeth with a blue or red thick Sharpie (thinner and neater than Dykem, most machinists carry Sharpies these days) before running them against each other manually.

"Weird" is what it is ...
                        Indeed but also built like a brick shithouse. I don't envy anyone machining that much stainless but it appears they got it right.
                        Last edited by farmall; 11-24-2021, 12:01 AM.

Comment

• Dragstews
                          • Sep 2010

V-Twin must have had a clueless salesdroid fielding questions
                          ... /// https://youtu.be/GO_xfR64qSk \\\ ...

S&S gears will be used, got the reverse C.B. on order (Which has already been narrowed for high lift cams) and the Gen idle gear I have in stock ...
                          (Sorry, no lighting holes in them)

Indeed but also built like a brick shithouse. I don't envy anyone machining that much stainless but it appears they got it right.
                          Titanium would be the "Cat's Ass" ...
                          (Unfortunately the Blackbirds used it all up and Russia won't sell us no more since they caught on what we been doing with it) ...

... /// https://youtu.be/T9q5XLN4_BI \\\ ...

Lockheed been busy since 1959 ...

Shame the SR 71 has been put out to pasture ...
                          But SOB may have a foothold in the near future ... (Son of Blackbird, SR 72)

Airspeed of Mach 6 (Holy Scramjet Batman)
                          Last edited by Dragstews; 11-24-2021, 4:33 AM.

Comment

• farmall
                            • Apr 2013

Ti is still plentiful but it sucks to machine and weld (my machinistbros quite dislike it) so it doesn't get much love and prices are still high enough it's mostly confined to high end motorsport. Even during the Cold War BSA managed titanium frames but they're not great for off-road since you have to backpurge tubing welds and use a trail shield outside to avoid sugaring. Maybe DTIA knows for sure but I once read BSA used a mobile argon box like an aquarium to do their frames. (I'm no great weldor but made a few trail shields for my instructor/boss who could weld the proverbial cat's ass to a plate glass window and even he disliked Ti. We used stainless sheet scraps and pieces of stainless scrubbie in the shield boxes to diffuse the argon).

Given their absurd cost if ya ever need one they're worth making as it's dirt cheap to do from scrap. This gent does some nice ones:
                            Join us as we unveil the step-by-step process of crafting your very own TIG welder trail cup, specifically designed for welding reactive alloys such as Titan...

Ti Duck frames are only a little more than twice the cost of a steel Edlund. http://www.stradafab.net/frames/tita...tclassic-frame Ya know ya wanna Ti frame and swingarm for your Buell.

When the Soviet Union economically imploded Ti prices dropped because all Russia has is resource extraction (they're good at self-promoting military gear but even Turkish UAS like Bayraktar spank Russian SAMs, their stuff is best for sand people on a budget).

SR has been obsolete for decades but rockets haul much more ass much faster. By the time the public knows about a project it's old news but that's a good distraction from black programs so they can proceed quietly like F-117 did for many years. (Lotta UFO sightings were F-117 training missions. We inherited their maintainers when the program went public and their stories were a hoot.) Scramjets are worth exploring for many reasons but heavy lift rockets can sling serious weight. Strategic attack rockets could carry bomber-sized payloads, sit ground alert 24/7/365 and be over target even faster besides replenishing satellite clusters. SpaceX is far more impressive than anything with wings and a specfuckingtacular contribution to US power projection since the military will eventually build weaponized systems because they can't afford to cede the ultimate high ground.
                            Last edited by farmall; 11-24-2021, 12:32 PM.

Comment

• Dragstews
                              • Sep 2010

Ain't that ^^ a fact ...

Gapless rings made it here ...

Did a hone job in order to break the glaze on the jugs, getting ready to break down the crank for machining the L-81 up taper in the left flywheel that will be sent to T&O ..

Comment

• farmall
                                • Apr 2013

There's something satisfying about freshly ground/honed surfaces. Looking forward to putting my leakdown tester on that puppy.

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                                Working...
                                ;