CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search
Page 1 of 3 123 Last

Default I need help with my magneto

I have a Morris magneto 74e on my 1950 el panhead itís refurbished by a well know guy from New Jersey! Iíve watched the install videos from Dave Shaw from Morris magneto!! Followed everything step by step Iíve aligned the advanced mark in the window and have have rear cyclinder all the way up! Dropped mag in got points where they need to be and have it all set in and timed with the buzz box! Bike fires up and runs but I have a bad back fire on rear cyclinder which tells me itís not firing at the right time! Iíve micro adjusted the Magneto and ran out of room on the mag! It is too close to the exhaust by the time it gets close to sounding good! Thereís no intake leak or anything from the exhaust! Iíve set the mag at all different setting in the flywheel to compensate and get same if not worse results! I do have a small dot on fly wheel and have not tried setting mag to that put according to peps Iíve talked to flywheel should have mark at center window and ready for mag to drop in!! Does anyone have any idea or reasons why Iím not getting the desired results! PLEASE HELP!!

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

Very simple fix,.....
    you time Harleys on the compression stroke of the FRONT CYLINDER ,......NOT the rear as you say you set it to.
    get the front cylinder on compression stroke, as the timing mark comes into thecentre of the timing hole set the points to just be opening at FULL ADVANCE,.... tighten up & run it...Ö

NEXT !!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ignition_figure_1[1].jpg  
    Last edited by tzienlee; 02-18-2019 at 7:19 PM.

On all the videos of everything I saw Dave set it up with the rear spark plug out and set it rear to the top!! I’m very new to magnetos so I’ll try your advice thanks thank man

Get Adobe Flash player

Might want to watch it again....

I have rear cyclinder set with piston to top that should be front cyclinder compression

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by Biscuitboyftmc View Post
    On all the videos of everything I saw Dave set it up with the rear spark plug out and set it rear to the top!! I’m very new to magnetos so I’ll try your advice thanks thank man
    Dave is wrong..... What does the Harley manual say??

I don’t have one available to me I’m going off what I’ve watched and been told by the several people who run mags

Get Adobe Flash player

you remove the rear plug so that when you turn the motor over you will feel when it is coming up to front cylinder compression stroke, ..when you feel it, then remove the front plug as well and turn it until the timing advance mark is in the window,.... you can 100% make sure of this by removing the front cylinder intake pushrod cover and when you see the intake valve shut (go fully down) you KNOW you are on compression stroke so take it slow with bike in gear to bring mark into view,... having a buddy help here can be useful to eyeball the mark as you gently tap the kicker or move the wheel to timing point

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by Biscuitboyftmc View Post
    I don’t have one available to me I’m going off what I’ve watched and been told by the several people who run mags
    Obvious you need to change the people you watch and listen to.............

You need a Manual............. And listen to TZ he knows what he's talking about....
    Last edited by Tattooo; 02-18-2019 at 7:28 PM.

I appreciate all the help I’ll will take tzs advice and go from there thanks!

Of course you must time the ignition, whatever the type, when the FRONT cylinder is on its compression stroke, i.e., the front intake valve has opened and closed, and the front piston is on it's way up, to 35 degrees BTDC.
    That said, what happens at 45 degrees BTDC? Answer, the REAR piston is at its TDC, but it is in its overlap stroke, but no matter. Just 10 degrees more, just as the rear piston starts down, the 35 degree advance timing mark appears in the center of the timing hole. That is why the rear piston is being referenced, it's a quick way to find the 35 degree advance timing mark, even if you do not know what sort of flywheel marks you are dealing with.

OP, in your case, you may need to move your mag one gear tooth to get correct timing without hitting the front pipe.

Jim
    Last edited by JBinNC; 02-18-2019 at 7:36 PM. Reason: Goddamned autocorrect!#!*!

I’ve only seen two marks on the fly wheel I the timing mark and a dot that’s it so I’m setting everything off the timing mark which is where I’m finding tdc I think anyways
    Last edited by Biscuitboyftmc; 02-18-2019 at 7:45 PM. Reason: I suck

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by Tattooo View Post
    Dave is wrong..... What does the Harley manual say??
    The Harley manual won't apply in this case cause a Big Twin never came from the factory equipped with a magneto.

Not counting the OHV Factory TT racing bikes ...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	OHV-mag-drive.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	216.1 KB 
ID:	91220
    Last edited by Dragstews; 02-18-2019 at 7:59 PM.

Get Adobe Flash player

I've been running Magnetos on all my Harleys for 40+ years now,
    so I have learnt to use glass pushrod tubes so I don't have to get oily by removing the tube to check it's on the Front cylinder,
    and I had a degree wheel printed to fit my front belt drive pully with arrow,
    so I didn't need to get oil everywhere by running with the timing plug out.... hahahahahahahaha
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCN0958.jpg   z9.jpg   DSCN1238 (2).jpg  

Genius, I’m gonna take your advice and see what I can accomplish and hopefully receive a different outcome it’s so close!
    Last edited by Biscuitboyftmc; 02-18-2019 at 7:53 PM. Reason: Spilt beer

Get Adobe Flash player

good luck with it fella,... easy when ya have done it 376 times !!! hahahahaha
    let us know how it goes and maybe a few pictures,.... we like picture here,... the doctors take them away...………. hahahaha

Get Adobe Flash player

I’ll post some videos of it when I get back to shop this weekend I’ll send videos of how it sits and how I have it set up now and then try it your way and see it makes all the distance in the world! Hoping so!

I know my buzz box is in good working order! I’ll work it over this weekend and see what I can come up with I appreciate all the great advice I dove head in on this pan head and learning all aspect of antique motorcycles bikes from it everyone needs a starting point!

Get Adobe Flash player

My first bike ....

52 Whizzer

Got it during the British Invasion of the Beatles .....
    .../// https://youtu.be/WWq_6tZpJMI \\\...
    Last edited by Dragstews; 02-19-2019 at 8:21 AM.

Share This