• Show
Clear All
  • mb337746
    • Sep 2021

Shovel hard tail and Juice brake

I originally posted this in the wrong section...sorry

Ok asking around on this one as this will be my 1st shovel build

I have 47 doing my shovel hardtail.

When I was asked about my rear brake I told him I have a 67-72 rear drum on a mid star hub/16x3 rim I am going to run.

He told me if I go traditional width (8 3/4?) I am going to have issues with the master cylinder fitting hitting the axle plate (he uses the traditional ones) of which he said I could either machine and replace the fittings on the master with something else. Other alternative is to go 9 1/4? width but a whole new axle and spacers will have to made, and the backing plate stud extended?

I have done a fair amount of reading about this and have not seen this come up at all. I have read about issues with spacing, and having to bend or stretch out a little bit, but nothing about making a whole new custom axle. I know a brake stay tab will have to be welded onto the plate (which I have seen a few posts on) and the spacers trimmed (which I have also seen posts on). I expected that.

I realize this stuff is not bolt on, but I am asking for some clarity and if anyone else has come across this width issue. Or any info on setting this up on a shovel hardtail in general. I have to decided what width I want in the end and not really sure what to do.

Attaching pics of the set ups I have come across, and when reading these threads nothing was mentioned of the width issue that has been brought up (apologies in advance if these are your pics and I snagged them). They are from fairly old articles or I would ask the thread in general.

Thank you in advance.
    Attached Files
  • JBinNC
    • Dec 2018

If you want to use the drum brake assembly in its entirety, you need to make the frame width the same as the drum brake swingarm (whatever that is). Otherwise, you have to make not only spacers, but an axle and a backing plate sleeve. That's a lot of work to accommodate one fitting.

On the wheel cylinder, you can replicate the banjo bolt location on the other side of the boss in the casting. That will give you some clearance to work with.

Jim

Comment

• JBinNC
      • Dec 2018

From the manual: the drum brake swingarm is 9.12 - 9.18 " inside measurement. If you are going to use your '66 - '72 drum brake assembly, that is the measurement for your rigid frame conversion. The swingarm is symmetrical about its longitudinal axis. In other words, no offset on either side.

Jim

Comment

• mb337746
        • Sep 2021

Really helpful. Thank you Jim.

Would also getting this master help with the problem since the fitting will be on the opposite side as you had mentioned?
        Attached Files

Comment

• JBinNC
          • Dec 2018

Originally posted by mb337746
          Really helpful. Thank you Jim.

Would also getting this master help with the problem since the fitting will be on the opposite side as you had mentioned?
          Perfect.

Jim

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
          Working...
          ;