CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search

Default What kind of pushrods and how to adjust

[attach=config]105429[/attach

][att

ach=config]105430[/attach]

First shovelhead I believe solid lifters don't know how to adjust or what kind of pushrods

Please and thank you
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_20200804_202228376.jpg   Screenshot_20200804-203544.jpg  

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

Looks like someone has converted it to evo style valve train (couple companies make this for shovels.) One sure way to tell is if you have no oil lines going to your heads, it has been converted to the evo style. It is definitely evo style pushrods, on the shovels the adjustment is done with a cup coming out of the lifters not the pushrods. Hard to say without knowing whose set up it is. Best way to tell for sure if they are solids or hydraulic is get one cylinder to TDC on compression, adjust lifters to where they are just loose (can turn pushrods by hand) then turn about 1 full turn and walk away from it for about a half hour. If it turns freely, you have hydraulics, if not, it is solid. Hope this helps, hopefully someone on here with more experience in this area (hello, Dragstews?) can step in with more detailed information.

Thank you

Get Adobe Flash player

Looks like solids to me, but it a bit hard to make that call from those photos.. (Don't give up your day job.. )

Do like Will says ..
    After a half hour, going down a turn or two from 0 lash will tell for sure if they are solid or hyd ..

Looks like old style solid tappet adapters, which take a pushrod with a lower ball end of about 1/2" diameter. The pushrods are incorrect because they have a 3/8" diameter ball, which is more common these days. So, you have mismatched parts, and you need to check that out further.

Solid tappet adapters, not hydraulic.

That's the best I can do from these pictures.

Jim

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20200804_202253194.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	301.7 KB 
ID:	105431Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20200804_202300405.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	300.3 KB 
ID:	105432

Thank you

For adjustment, with the tappet all the way down, valve closed, the pushrod should spin with your fingers, maybe with a little drag, but should have no lateral movement at the tappet. Adjustment made with the motor cold.

You should collapse the pushrod and remove it and inspect the pushrod seat in the tappet adapter. If there is a mismatch of parts, you need to correct that now.

Jim

Thank you

Get Adobe Flash player

Hard to tell from the pics.. But the pushrods kinda look like mine.

Does this help you identify them?

https://www.sscycle.com/products/Quickee-Pushrod-Set/

They do can you tell me how to adjust thank you

I really appreciate everyone's help can't thank you guys enough

Get Adobe Flash player

If they're like mine/the ones I linked.. The lifter end screws up and into the body of the pushrod, and it is held with a locknut.. So, you hold the rod and break the locknut loose with a 1/2" wrench, adjust the lifter end with a 5/16ths on the flats the way JB describes above, then you lock the nut back in place to hold it.

Quote Originally Posted by confab View Post
    If they're like mine/the ones I linked.. The lifter end screws up and into the body of the pushrod, and it is held with a locknut.. So, you hold the rod and break the locknut loose with a 1/2" wrench, adjust the lifter end with a 5/16ths on the flats the way JB describes above, then you lock the nut back in place to hold it.

Thank you

Get Adobe Flash player

Top of the compression stroke for that cylinder (not the exhaust stroke, and you can verify the top of stroke carefully with a screwdriver in the spark plug hole) both valves should be closed. Both lifters should be bottomed in their bores.

And you should be fine.

Share This