X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Unsavory
    • Sep 2021

1988 sportster chopper transmission advice

What’s up guys
    Just picked up a 1988 sportster with a hard tail. I’m looking to build this bike but I want some advice. It’s an 883 and I was looking into putting a 1200 or 1250 kit on it. As I start to read more about it I found out it has a 4 speed transmission. Is the 4 speed a good and reliable trans? What are some things I can upgrade on this motor to make it better?
  • JBinNC
    • Dec 2018

The four speed doesn't hold a candle to the five speed. The worst of it is that your motor has the alternator in (or behind) the clutch shell, and that has proven to be less than reliable and expensive to fix.

You would be way better off to find a five speed evo XL and spend your time and money on that.

Jim

Comment

• Dragstews
      • Sep 2010

I highly recommend one of these ...

Features vibration proof magnet construction, as magnets are held in place by stainless steel non-magnetic insert for durability.

The stock unit has glued in magnets and when they come loose all hell breaks loose ..
      (Not a pretty sight)

On the 883 to 1200/1250 kit ..
      You should give L.A. Sleeve a call since they are in your neck of the woods ..
      (800-822-6005)

I do these 883 to 1200 quite often ..
      Using your 883 jugs they will be bored a full half inch ...

... /// http://www.chopcult.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14994 \\\ ...
      Last edited by Dragstews; 09-18-2021, 8:19 PM.
      Take my 45 and outrun em all ..

Comment

• farmall
        • Apr 2013

If you cut off and blend the 4-speed sidestand mount it won't interfere with a five speed engine and you can weld on an aftermarket sidestand in the later position which will clear the five speed. Easy work and if you don't weld you can still remove the old fitting (6" cutting disk works nice on an angle grinder then blend with a flap disc) before having it welded.

If ya keep the four speed read up on the trans door bearing etc at xlforum.

The four speeds aren't hideous but I'd not hotrod one. If it runs well I'd ride it and if it annoyed me or I fell into a five speed engine I'd build that at leisure and swap.

Comment

• Down
          • Jan 2016

I did an S&S 1200cc kit on my 1988 883 4-speed and beat the shit out of that bike. Transmission never gave me any problems. IIRC ran it for around 16k miles before the crank gave up.

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
          Working...
          ;