Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 53hemi
    • Jan 2012

Shovelhead rebuilder advice

So I recently picked up an '82 80ci Shovelhead. It's a runner but has definitely lived a hard life. The odometer read 80,000.

I'm in the process of sending my frame off to 47industries for a hardtail conversion and I'm a bit reluctant to put this crusty engine back into that fresh frame.

So, I'm trying to decide if I should just regasket the engine myself now (and kinda go through it) or bite the bullet and have it professionally rebuilt now.

That being said, I'm brand new to the Shovelhead world and really don't know who to trust with a rebuild.

Thoughts?
  • Dragstews
    • Sep 2010

Originally posted by 53hemi

The odometer read 80,000.
    I'm a bit reluctant to put this crusty engine back into that fresh frame.

So, I'm trying to decide if I should just regasket the engine myself now (and kinda go through it) or bite the bullet and have it professionally rebuilt now.
    Lots of miles on it, bout at the end of it's life cycle ..

If it was me building the scoot, I'd go all the way though the critter and do a few up-grades along the way ..
    Take my 45 and outrun em all ..

Comment

• TomK
      • Oct 2013

It really depends on your budget, but honestly, you shouldn’t have bought a Shovelhead with 80K on it if you don’t have the budget for a complete rebuild. Either put no money in it at all and ride it until it dies, or rebuild it the right way. I wouldn’t waste time or money doing it half assed.

Comment

• rockman96
        • May 2018

TomK's advice sounded a little harsh, maybe, but he's right regarding ride it 'til it dies or go through it all the way. Based on your user name profile pic I'm guessing you have experience running and wrenching older stuff, so you most likely won't have any issues keeping a shovel on the road. They are actually really reliable if built correctly and maintained... And no 5" stroker wheels or stuff like that.

As for builders that know their shit, one has already replied to this thread (post 2).

Comment

• Dragstews
          • Sep 2010

Aaaaaa yeah, guess that be me ... "Mild to Wild"

Click image for larger version

Name:	84324919_10219340544522951_389610875855568896_o.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	304.5 KB
ID:	1320177

Oops ... Dang motor needs the carbs on it .. !!

Click image for larger version

Name:	93269230_10219952515101833_2441482388568539136_n.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	113.4 KB
ID:	1320178

But I'm one of many ...

I built a 98" Shovel for a Boy in your neck of the woods a few years ago..
          Name is Glenn Hayes ... From what I hear, the Man done quite a bit of Twinkie hunting with it ...
          Last edited by Dragstews; 09-17-2021, 7:09 PM.

Comment

• DoomBuggy
            • Oct 2016

I can't speak for others, but my experience with Jesse ( aka Dragstews ) was beyond excellent. He WILL tempt you with the pleasures big cubes may hold, but at the end of the day he will build you what you want.

Now if I could just get my ass in gear and put my pan back together....

Comment

• Dragstews
              • Sep 2010

Comment

• confab
                • May 2019

Lots of miles on it, bout at the end of it's life cycle ..
                Either put no money in it at all and ride it until it dies, or rebuild it the right way. I wouldn’t waste time or money doing it half assed.
                ^ This is good advice.

80K is a lot for any harley, and a ton for a shovel. How does it run? Does it smoke? How do the plugs look? Does it leak? Or are the concerns cosmetic in nature? Got a bore scope to see inside the cylinders? Can you do a compression test? What's the budget?

If it runs okay and doesn't smoke/oil up the plugs or leak badly? You might put it back in for a "rolling mockup" But plan on taking it back down for a rebuild soon. (Be a handy time to do paint, too.)

I see you're in LA. So you don't really have "riding seasons" like we do in the Midwest. (Which sucks for us, but it is a big chunk of mandatory downtime to use for things like an overhaul.)

If you think it is bad enough that you will blow it up? You're adding a bunch of cost to the eventual rebuild by continuing to ride. Maybe even broken cases and completely unnecessary crap like that, which adds up very quickly.

It's your bike. Nobody else has a better handle on its condition than you. Give it a truly objective assessment and make a plan to move forward.

There are several, very competent, people on this forum who can do a rebuild for you. Shipping the engine to Drags or JB, etc, will add expense.. But not as much as paying some wanker down the street who will just screw it up and make you do it twice.

Doing it yourself is hella fun and a great learning experience, but amounts to high stakes gambling and is probably not much if any cheaper than just paying someone competent to do it for you.

Best of luck.

Comment

• JBinNC
                  • Dec 2018

If it's a runner and the bottom end is sound, you could do a top end rebuild, including cam and tappets, and have a motor that may well make tens of thousands more miles. It all depends on how it was treated by past owners.

Jim

Comment

• Tater66
                    • Mar 2019

JB has a good idea. Its better to know what you have before it blows up in the middle of nowhere. Best case scenario is new gaskets and maybe some rings.

Of course, my last build had a supposed "rebuilt" engine. 1 oil leak led to complete rebuild. As expensive and annoying as that process was I KNOW its right and runs like a champ.

Comment

• 53hemi
                      • Jan 2012

Ok, it's on. I'm starting to look for a shop to do the work.

These guys are local to me - I'm going to speak with them tomorrow.

Comment

• Tater66
                        • Mar 2019

Ask around about any shop. My town has a few shops that "specialize" in older bikes but only 1 will get my biz. Most outsource the machine work.

My favorite local indy closed the doors after the owner died a few years ago. I talked to a reputable chopper builder and asked who did his engine work and he recommended another shop. Come to find out this other guy actually work at the shop that closed.

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                        Working...
                        ;