Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • claym12
    • Sep 2021

Another bike wont start thread

I've got a 2003 Sportster XLCH that is the bike in question. It has a stripped down wiring harness not done by myself. I got the bike from a buddy that needed the wiring buttoned up (lighting, battery connected, etc) minor things. Rode the bike 100 miles without a hiccup. The next day on my way to work my headlight dimmed out and the bike sputtered till it was dead. buddy with a handheld Jumpbox came took a second but fired up rode it home. Turned it off and wouldnt come back on. Since then I've replaced that battery (older) and been able to get it to start very rarely. When I try to crank my bike the starter sounds slow, the headlight dims out until its not producing light.
  • Tattooo
    • Sep 2012

Originally posted by claym12
    I've got a 2003 Sportster XLCH that is the bike in question. It has a stripped down wiring harness not done by myself. I got the bike from a buddy that needed the wiring buttoned up (lighting, battery connected, etc) minor things. Rode the bike 100 miles without a hiccup. The next day on my way to work my headlight dimmed out and the bike sputtered till it was dead. buddy with a handheld Jumpbox came took a second but fired up rode it home. Turned it off and wouldnt come back on. Since then I've replaced that battery (older) and been able to get it to start very rarely. When I try to crank my bike the starter sounds slow, the headlight dims out until its not producing light.
    It sounds like you need a NEW battery that's charged fully......... Then check your changing system to me..............

Comment

• 7and7is
      • Dec 2012

And (its been said a thousand times) make sure that both ends of the ground wire is clean and tight.

Comment

• claym12
        • Sep 2021

New battery and still the same symptoms and have clean ground wire on both end.

Comment

• 10scDust
          • Jan 2018

New battery and still the same symptoms and have clean ground wire on both end.
          So, it will run okay until the new battery loses its charge?
          Have you tested the stator and regulator for proper functionality?
          If it ain't charging enough to keep it running, you shouldn't have to look too far.
          Research how to test it, get the proper test equipment, then let us know what you found.

Like Tattoo said: check your charging system. ... .... It was a typo in his reply saying changing system.
          Last edited by 10scDust; 09-30-2021, 7:24 AM.

Comment

• claym12
            • Sep 2021

I tested the stator and regulator and both are good. Bike runs great once it gets going, but needs a jump with the jump box, but once I turn it off and try to turn it back on it does the same kind of slow start. Like it’s turning over in slow motion. When I press the start button the voltage drops to 5v and battery loses charge quickly after attempting to start
            Last edited by claym12; 09-30-2021, 7:05 PM.

Comment

• Tattooo
              • Sep 2012

I tested the stator and regulator and both are good. Bike runs great once it gets going, but needs a jump with the jump box, but once I turn it off and try to turn it back on it does the same kind of slow start. Like it’s turning over in slow motion. When I press the start button the voltage drops to 5v and battery loses charge quickly after attempting to start
              You have a dead battery............ Replace it..................

Comment

• Tattooo
                • Sep 2012

Originally posted by 10scDust
                Like Tattoo said: check your charging system. ... .... It was a typo in his reply saying changing system.

Yep you are correct............ Charging.......... LOL But first he needs a new battery and check to make sure his ground is tight............

Comment

• claym12
                  • Sep 2021

Just purchased this battery after issue started so it is brand new. I’ll take it to see if I can exchange for another

Comment

• tzienlee
                    • Apr 2024

ya say it's a New Battery, ......but did you charge it for 24 hours before use ???,....... yes they come with a surface charge, but need a day to trickle charge it up to optimum capacity, Then see if it's any better, if it then runs fine connect a multimeter between the +&- terminals of the battery set to read volts & running & with a slight rev it should be charging between 13v-14.5v & sat turned off it should read 12volts, if when running the voltage is at 12v or less, it isn't charging.... check regulator, if ok then check the altanator.....

Comment

• JBinNC
                      • Dec 2018

Originally posted by tzienlee
                      ya say it's a New Battery, ......but did you charge it for 24 hours before use ???,....... yes they come with a surface charge, but need a day to trickle charge it up to optimum capacity, Then see if it's any better, if it then runs fine connect a multimeter between the +&- terminals of the battery set to read volts & running & with a slight rev it should be charging between 13v-14.5v & sat turned off it should read 12volts, if when running the voltage is at 12v or less, it isn't charging.... check regulator, if ok then check the altanator.....
                      Fully charged AGM battery = 12.8V. If a new battery reads only 12.0V, it is at 50% charge or less.

Jim

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                      Working...
                      ;