Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dylan529
    • Feb 2019

BDL open primary

im looking at getting a 1.5" BDL kit for my project. The one im looking at right now comes with pretty much everything on the left side of the bike.

This Is A High Quality Kit!It Includes Everything You Need To Install The Belt Drive And ClutchFits Inside Stock Tin PrimaryParts Included: 11MM BDL TAPER SHAFT BELT DRIVE KIT 37550-41 COMPLETE 3STUD HUB 36-E84HD 37523-15A CLUTCH HUB KEY 37930-41 FRICTION PLATE KIT WITH HALF PLATE 37975-81 (3) STEEL FRICTION PLATES W/O

^^ thats the one. i like it because it comes with alot of stuff that i havent got.

i need some confirmation and confidence its going to work with my motor/trans setup

also have i got to run any kind of trans bearing support?

Click image for larger version

Name:	20210913_204742.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	299.5 KB
ID:	1347422

Click image for larger version

Name:	20210913_205355.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	304.4 KB
ID:	1347423
  • rockman96
    • May 2018

You never stated what you have.

Comment

• JBinNC
      • Dec 2018

That's you. No transmission shaft support needed.

I believe that drive will fit inside the stock tin primary covers, if so desired.

Jim

Comment

• Dylan529
        • Feb 2019

Right on thanks.
        Motors a 52
        Trans is from an early pan. Doesn't have any markings on it of any kind. But it doesn't have the mounting spots for a inner primary.

Comment

• frisco1rigid
          • Sep 2021

Hey Dillon,
          Are you running a foot clutch or Mouse Trap ??
          If you are running the stock 41 - 54 Trans you will not be able to run a bearing support anyway, as per JB's reply.
          I am very familiar with these units, I suggest you order the 5-stud Clutch Hub and if you have a spare Steel plate
          slip That in the clutch Shell first and Then continue with the "fiber/steel.fiber/steel etc etc..
          The extra steel provides 3 advantages. If Oil/Grease seeps into the clutches it will generally wick behind that steel plate thus Not contaminating the first fiber disc.
          Next, it prevents the first fiber from wearing a Permanent wear pattern into the rear Aluminum face of the new clutch shell.
          Next, that first steel plate provides More "grab" and GO into your clutch rather than the Aluminum rear face - In My Experience.

It will extend the Clutch Pack out the width of the extra plate but that will cause No Probs and you will Not run out of threads on the studs.
          I know a few tricks for these old set-ups, don't hesitate to contact me.
          Last edited by frisco1rigid; 09-14-2021, 1:28 PM.

Comment

• Hubbard
            • Dec 2010

you may be happier with an 8mm setup. bdl sez it's stronger and the belts are more readily available

Comment

• Dylan529
              • Feb 2019

thanks frisco thats solid advice. ill definitely add a steel plate to my cart. im sure ill need some more of that expertise along the way.
              i was just going to ask about 8mm vs 11mm .
              Having something thats readily available is pretty ideal for me

Comment

• frisco1rigid
                • Sep 2021

I just saw Hubbard's post and I agree Totally.
                I run the 8mm belts, there are more teeth per inch to wrap around the 8mm Pulley.

Also, if you measure the BELT thickness itself -- just the belt. Not including the teeth, you can see that both the 8mm and the 11mm "BELT" is the same thickness - sooo more teeth per inch translates into More "Hold" and more teeth in contact with the 8mm Pulley.
                Good call Hubbard.

Comment

• 47str8leg
                  • Sep 2014

Don’t get the standard 8mm set up , Order it with 1 tooth smaller pulley. That set has always run too tight. Can’t tell you how many times I’ve heard of those breaking under a covered tin primary due to not enough adjustment and heat.
                  Forget which one they order the pulley in one less tooth ( front or rear ).
                  Don’t seem to have that problem with the open 2” , just the enclosed 1.5”.
                  Last edited by 47str8leg; 09-15-2021, 6:27 AM.

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                  Working...
                  ;