Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rockman96
    • May 2018

Home Machine Shops - Let's see your setups

In light of Confab's recent search and acquisition, I thought it would be neat to see what kind of setups the guys here have.
    I finally broke down about three years ago and bought my second lathe, a brand new 14x40 Grizzly... Yeah, its Chinese, I know, but the asian can build some pretty nice stuff when you pay for it. Here is mine... I'll try to get a pic of my mill later.

Click image for larger version

Name:	New_Lathe.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	300.1 KB
ID:	1347421
  • IowaChop
    • Nov 2015

My little machine shop: lathe, mill, jig borer

Name:	610416EA-80E7-46CB-926C-B3D92231E4C6.jpg
Size:	113.1 KB
ID:	1320079

Comment

• rockman96
      • May 2018

Awesome! I bet that jig borer comes in handy!

Comment

• confab
        • May 2019

I'm not worried too much about my machines, because even the least of them is capable of more and better output than I'm able to produce. Maybe that will change going forward?

But any setup is better than no setup, and a mistake I see artists (I'm not an artist, but I live with a very talented one.) make all the time, is to buy super top end tools when they haven't even developed the talent to exploit the capabilities of bottom end tools.

A really talented guy can do a lot with patience and an older machine. I found this example while searching for graduated collars, and he made them on one of those antique, horse drawn, Bonnie & Clyde, South Bend "Model C" lathes.

If you're building bikes? Any lathe is better than no lathe and you can do a lot of neat stuff for not a lot of money.

Don't wait till you can afford a 10K machine to jump in and learn. You're missing out if you do! And lot of chopper shit is more artsy than super high tolerance work, anyway.

In keeping with the topic of the thread: Everything is chaos right now in the machine area, but these are what I have.

Name:	minilathe.jpg
Size:	152.9 KB
ID:	1320086

Name:	harbor freight 1236.jpg
Size:	6.9 KB
ID:	1320087

Name:	hfsmithy.jpg
Size:	13.7 KB
ID:	1320088

woot..

Comment

• rockman96
          • May 2018

Originally posted by confab
          If you're building bikes? Any lathe is better than no lathe and you can do a lot of neat stuff for not a lot of money.

Don't wait till you can afford a 10K machine to jump in and learn. You're missing out if you do! And lot of chopper shit is more artsy than super high tolerance work, anyway.

In keeping with the topic of the thread: Everything is chaos right now in the machine area, but these are what I have.

woot..
          I totally agree with that! You did great on that lathe, btw!

ETA: I was fortunate, I learned a lot and had access to a Southbend at a buddy's shop, not to mention a 13x36 Jet and a Clausing engine lathe a work... I could afford to hold off on a purchase for 10-15 years like I did.
          Last edited by rockman96; 09-13-2021, 7:59 AM.

Comment

• confab
            • May 2019

Originally posted by rockman96
            I totally agree with that! You did great on that lathe, btw!
            Thank you. I appreciate that.

And I wasn't trying to personalize it against anyone here with a big setup.

I was talking about me and what I never got into machining before I did. Because, I didn't think I could do anything cool with the money I had to spend?

Then, when the Harley necessitated more capability, I watched some youtube and lurked some posts at the machining websites, (Practical Machinist is a good one) and saw people doing really, really cool shit with machines that were pretty humble. And cheap. And then I was sorry I waited all this time.

I think a lot of people share that opinion because they see all the big dollar stuff and how cool it is, and maybe discount the bird in the craigslist hand that they can afford and start with today, if they want?

I think anyone who is into choppers is going to love having this ability and they should look into it asap.

Comment

• IowaChop
              • Nov 2015

I'm not worried too much about my machines, because even the least of them is capable of more and better output than I'm able to produce. Maybe that will change going forward?

But any setup is better than no setup, and a mistake I see artists (I'm not an artist, but I live with a very talented one.) make all the time, is to buy super top end tools when they haven't even developed the talent to exploit the capabilities of bottom end tools.

A really talented guy can do a lot with patience and an older machine. I found this example while searching for graduated collars, and he made them on one of those antique, horse drawn, Bonnie & Clyde, South Bend "Model C" lathes.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]105354[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]105355[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]105356[/ATTACH]

woot..
              Honestly,
              I would stay about from the multipurpose machines. they do alot but none of them well. Your skills will outgrown that machine pretty quickly.

Comment

• confab
                • May 2019

Originally posted by IowaChop
                Honestly,
                I would stay about from the multipurpose machines. they do alot but none of them well. Your skills will outgrown that machine pretty quickly.
                Well, it gave me capabilities I never had before. Any setup beats a file and a rock, ya know?

Back then, I needed something to recondition transmission drums on antiques and imports.. Anything hard to source parts for. It was perfect for that.

And, frankly, one thing I noticed from the machine forums is that real machinists are pretty jaded. I think people read this and get the mistaken impression I had, that if you can't afford the best? There's no point in even wasting the time or money trying.

When in truth, a skillful guy can do a lot with a little here. A bunch of really, really cool stuff was built by the guys who came before us with machines that sell for almost scrap prices now.

Anyone can afford to get into this if they want, and make a bunch of cool, 100% useful, things for their bike if they want.

You make a few things and they you start looking at bigger and better later when you can afford it. But you have to take that first step or you never make anything?

Comment

• IowaChop
                  • Nov 2015

I never claimed to be a real machinist, but i have spent a lot of money on machines that I outgrew way too fast. It gets frustrating real quick not know if the issue is; you, the machine, or the material. I am glad to hear the multipurpose machine served your needs, lesser men have given up the hobby out of frustration from them.
                  Agreed, "professional" machine forums are hell for hobbiest. Home Shop Machinist has one of the better forums.

Comment

• confab
                    • May 2019

Regardless, I think this is a lot like having a baby.. If everyone waited till they were absolutely, positively, 100% sure they were ready and everything was perfect?

They'd be 70 years old or they wouldn't do it at all.

That's a mistake I made and I'm sorry I waited so long.

If it wasn't for the Harley forcing me into it, I dunno if I would have ever bought another machine?

Comment

• IowaChop
                      • Nov 2015

Regardless, I think this is a lot like having a baby.. If everyone waited till they were absolutely, positively, 100% sure they were ready and everything was perfect?

They'd be 70 years old or they wouldn't do it at all.

That's a mistake I made and I'm sorry I waited so long.

If it wasn't for the Harley forcing me into it, I dunno if I would have ever bought another machine?
                      well put

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                      Working...
                      ;