CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search
Page 8 of 8 First ... 678

Thread: Shadow bobbers

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by Brodie View Post
    My first project. I tore it apart and put the strut in and TJBC did all the work that involved any type of skill.
    That tanks looks rad on there! Nice!

Get Adobe Flash player

Get Adobe Flash player

My 85 vt500c work in progress.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image.jpg  

Hey brother- I love the shadow you have posted here. Can you please tell me a little more about the solo seat set up and how you altered the rear fender. Winter is coming and Id really like to see my 06 bobbed like yours. Thank you-Jason

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by jasonfidlin View Post
    Hey brother- I love the shadow you have posted here. Can you please tell me a little more about the solo seat set up and how you altered the rear fender. Winter is coming and I’d really like to see my 06 bobbed like yours. Thank you-Jason
    This thread is 5 years old you might want to find a newer thread to ask questions in...

But you never know they might show back up...

Good luck...

So, I'm starting my first bobber bike. 2005 honda sabre 1100. Main reason being , Im a chick and the front end is brutal. Not to mention the ridiculously, HUGE gas tank. I want to eliminate as much weight from front end with a springer front end?? Anyone know if this will help?

Get Adobe Flash player

A springer is shiny expensive suspension downgrade. They went away from production motorcycles because they're poor suspension. They're used on chops because they're shiny. Springers and girders can certainly give a precise feel but if your front end feels heavy that's correctable without a fork swap. It's much less the weight of a front end than ergonomics and how much leverage your handlebars give you that determines feel.

What's your height and weight? Got short arms? Are your tire pressures correct? (Low tire pressures are a common mistake and can make front ends feel heavier.) Is your difficulty with pushing the motorcycle and very low speed handling?

Bars should make countersteering feel natural and that means "pushing" the grips (either to steer or actually push the motorcycle) must feel natural.
    What matters most is how the grips are in relation to your wrist/arm and how high they are. It's difficult to help someone fit bars over the internet and I suggest buying the cheapest ya can find first or using used bars to save money figuring out what you want.

Straddle the bike and sit upright, then holding your arms in a comfortable position, the one you instinctively seek, with palms open facing down similar to riding position.. Push left and right into space with keeping your arms comfortable. If you took a riding course where they used "push right, go right, push left, go left" to teach countersteering you have the idea. Note where your hands are then seek bars with a position natural to you.

The stock bars in pics look like my FXLR bars I dislike and will eventually replace. The grip angle doesn't suit me and pushing feels heavier than my 14" apes/2" risers (I'm 6'2" but that combo also suits my shortbro on his FXR, both similar in size to your Shadow). Apes offer excellent leverage and feel natural to many riders. I taught MSF courses with mine and they in no way impede handling. My wife ran 16" bars w. 2" bars on her Shovel and was 5'9".

Get an idea how different risers and bars place grips by looking at pics of straight and pullback risers and various bars. Ignore styling for now and fine a grip angle and width you feel like trying. Too narrow bars will be uncomfortable and feel heavy. Wide bars can be trimmed to width (zip disc on an angle grinder). Handlebar position forward and aft can be adjusted but grip angle is fixed on ordinary bars.

You can also play with the angle of the stock bars but I suspect that won't do much for ya. Try other motorcycles by the same method to see if any of their bars feel more natural, then take pics so you can attempt to match their style.

The gas tank is wide but not a weight issue except maybe when full. If the bike feels like it carries its weight high for you it may help to lower it reasonably (but not too much so your suspension still works decently and you maintain cornering clearance. That's easy to do with a lowering kit or different rear shocks (other Shadow owners will know specifics and definitely check Shadow forums) and shortening front fork springs by cutting with a zip disc. If you cut too much you can shim back with PVC pipe but if you take your time and cut/try/cut that won't happen.

Fitting motorcycles can be tedious the first time but then you'll be comfortable doing it.

Random Honda forum: https://www.hondashadow.net/

Do the 33 hive mind a favor and post your eventual solution.

Other stuff:
    Narrower front tires often feel lighter. Fat tires naturally feel heavier and both profile and weight matter. I prefer 19" front wheels.

Fix the handlebar issue first.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by AMK View Post
    So, I'm starting my first bobber bike. 2005 honda sabre 1100. Main reason being , Im a chick and the front end is brutal. Not to mention the ridiculously, HUGE gas tank. I want to eliminate as much weight from front end with a springer front end?? Anyone know if this will help?
    I commend your choice of bikes (see my avatar, and my name ).

I have two Shadow Sabres, an 03 (avatar) with about 100k miles on it (ditched the speedo about a decade ago), and an 05 (11k miles). Bought both new. Great bikes. Neither one has ever broken down or failed to start. All original mechanical and electrical parts (parts necessary for the bike to run).

It is possible to lighten the stock front end a bit by removing the chrome fork covers and the rubber doughnuts/spacers inside (not much, maybe a few pounds). I'd be surprised if a springer front end were any lighter.

Smaller front turn signals can also reduce a bit of weight. And of course the fender (although you won't like riding in the rain or on wet roads without it).

There are a lot of unnecessary parts on a stock Sabre that can be removed to reduce weight (my avatar pic is old, more parts have been removed since).

I was a member of a Sabre-specific forum for about 18 years before it closed down, and I don't recall ever seeing anyone put a springer on one. What exactly do you mean by "brutal"?

I also never saw anyone put a smaller tank on one. I'm guessing that would have to be a custom job.
    Last edited by EVILBLACKSABRE; 01-21-2021 at 11:16 AM.

Share This