CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

Default purchasing a bike from out of state

Thinking of buying a bike from out of state (Nevada to NC) any pointers? My main concern is the exchange of funds, don't want to send a wad of cash and never hear from the guy again, he is a member and seems legit, not really wanting to involve a third party, and Im sure he doesn't want to send the bike without the cash, so is there a solution that is fair for both of us?

Get Adobe Flash player

This is totally new to me so my advice won't come from any helpful place. The closest I ever got to buying a bike unseen was sending my buddy to go look at it, clear it, test ride it and send me pictures and then buy it for me.

However as a general thought, what about a deposit? Offer to pay the guy half price now and send the rest when the bike arrives safely. That way the deal requires trust on both parties.

Get Adobe Flash player

The way I look at it is, NOTHING leaves my possession until it's paid in full...... Plain and simple..... If you don't trust the guy don't buy it.....

I'm not being a smart ass just giving my 2 cents because you asked.......

And I would NEVER buy a bike with out seeing it in person!

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by pan620 View Post
    And I would NEVER buy a bike with out seeing it in person!
    Yep, You and I both....... But I've sold several to people that never seen them before they showed up in a truck....... Hell I shipped several over seas....... One bike took 3 months to get to the new owner....

It's safe to ship bikes or anything else these days...... What it all boils down to is, if your comfortable with the person your dealing with........

Get Adobe Flash player

Perhaps an escrow service or a cashier's check with the transport company? Which I bet happens a lot.

Get Adobe Flash player

What makes a motorcycle special enough to buy without inspecting it?

Shipping isn't a big deal but motorcycles are toys so I'd have to have a spectacularly good reason to buy sight unseen unless one of my mechanic bros inspected it per my instructions. If it's a high dollar collectible machine I'd fly out and look it over since in those leagues the money doesn't matter but getting what you want certainly does. East coast to Vegas flights are cheap. If you're dropping say 20 grand on the bike several hundred or a grand for the inspection trip isn't shit and you could check out high end shops there.

Get Adobe Flash player

Last out of state, long distance, buy I made was the '67 Grand Prix basket case. Even after looking at tons of pictures I decided to fly out to northern Minnesota on a one way ticket. I reserved a U-Haul truck and car hauler. When I got there the guy picked me up at the airport, we drove to his place looked it over and then we went and got the U-Haul. ( Filled it and the inside of the GP with parts, it was a hell of purchase, lol ). I took the dude and his wife to an early dinner and then took my time driving back and enjoyed the hell out of the whole experience.

I made the trip part of the adventure and it made the whole deal worth that much more to me. ( It still took me almost 3 years to source all the little odds and ends that were missing, but that is the part I enjoy the most, .)

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by 7and7is View Post
    Thinking of buying a bike from out of state (Nevada to NC) any pointers? My main concern is the exchange of funds, don't want to send a wad of cash and never hear from the guy again, he is a member and seems legit, not really wanting to involve a third party, and Im sure he doesn't want to send the bike without the cash, so is there a solution that is fair for both of us?
    I also live in NC, and one big thing I will warn you about is to make sure that Nevada doesn't require a title to be notarized when a vehicle is sold. I know from direct experience that NC abides by the laws of the state the vehicle is titled in before you buy it. For example, I transferred titles from Colorado and South Carolina when I moved here, neither of which require notarization at the time of sale, but if you're coming from somewhere that does, you will have a problem when you go to get it re-titled here in NC.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by BadMonkeyMW View Post
    I also live in NC, and one big thing I will warn you about is to make sure that Nevada doesn't require a title to be notarized when a vehicle is sold. I know from direct experience that NC abides by the laws of the state the vehicle is titled in before you buy it.
    Good advice, I live in Tennessee, and they go by the other state's requirements too.
    I too have bought bikes from out of state, a few times, once it bit me in the ass not knowing the out of state required a notarization, (I did go look at it in person first though), then had to snail mail the title back and forth.
    I now ask for a notarized title first when such an out of state buy occurs.

Get Adobe Flash player

Well the deal fell through, however a lot of good advice.

Share This