Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • PeanutHead
    • Nov 2011

Casting Tcme Lense

So I might have made a small mistake. I bought a TCME taillight on eBay this weekend for DIRT CHEAP. Now I noticed in the pictures that the lense is melted a little on the bottom but I'm not too worried about that. I'm hoping to heat it up a little and try to move it back into shape. I looked over the pictures again today (after getting the "its been shipped" email) and I think the lense is cracked. I'm hoping the lense isn't too far gone because I'm going to try and recast/mold it and possiblly make custom replacements. Once I get it in, I'll post tons of pictures and updates on progress.
  • farmall
    • Apr 2013

Excellent! I've seen info on the internet but never done it myself.

It would be interesting to know the most rugged and UV/fade resistant lens material.

Comment

• PeanutHead
      • Nov 2011

This is gonna be a trial and error thing too dude.

So I got the light in today and my suspicious were correct, the lense is cracked. The heat warpage is a little worse too. I'm going to try and glue the broken piece back in place today and MAYBE start the mold.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20210914_131822.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	303.2 KB
ID:	1320109Click image for larger version

Name:	20210914_131834.jpg
Size:	299.8 KB
ID:	1320110

Comment

• MOTher
        • Sep 2012

I've had the bad lens problem on a box taillight before. What I did was find a car taillight lens that was flat and big enough to cut the size I needed out of the center, then cut, and sand it to shape, and drill it carefully. Worked for me 'til I sold that bike.

Comment

• confab
          • May 2019

Originally posted by MOTher
          I've had the bad lens problem on a box taillight before. What I did was find a car taillight lens that was flat and big enough to cut the size I needed out of the center, then cut, and sand it to shape, and drill it carefully. Worked for me 'til I sold that bike.
          Along those same lines ^^^

Dark red tinted plastic material. Duplicate of color used in 1930's tail lamps.

I hate to mention the "A" word, but there's a lot of generic lenses there with the sizes listed. Maybe you can shave one?

Example:

Comment

• PeanutHead
            • Nov 2011

Trying to fix part of the lense was a bit of a success. I was able to fix the top "bubble" part by making it flatter. Yes I burned the lense but again, I'm going to recast it later. Also, the glue held the small broken piece well.
            Click image for larger version

Name:	20210914_220303.jpg
Size:	266.4 KB
ID:	1320123

Comment

• confab
              • May 2019

Cool.. A LED bulb would probably be easier on it temperature wise, in the future.

Comment

• PeanutHead
                • Nov 2011

So I was hoping to have fixed and cast at least one new lense by now but I've slacked off hars core. I did however make a lense out of 1/8" plexiglass. I'll post pics in a few. Turned out OK but not perfect.

Comment

• confab
                  • May 2019

Just thinking out loud, along these same lines..

Relative has a 3D printer. Wonder if there's any media available for those things that is suitable for lens making?

Comment

• farmall
                    • Apr 2013

Relative has a 3D printer. Wonder if there's any media available for those things that is suitable for lens making?
                    Apparently so and this guy is going beyond that with custom LED guts.

➢ Become a member to help support what we are doing and for future builds!➢ Car Cruise: https://bit.ly/3jXNpeU➢ Optocoupler: https://bit.ly/3l2QvPiIn today's...

If you can find someone with a scanner you can import the image into CAD then mod it as you like.
                    Last edited by farmall; 12-21-2021, 11:16 AM.

Comment

• confab
                      • May 2019

That's badass.. Wicked shop they've got, too..

I'd live in a place like that.

Seriously. Not kidding even a little bit.

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                      Working...
                      ;