FXR mid control brake setup. Does this look right to you?

Collapse

Desktop Ad Forum Top

Collapse

Mobile ad top forum

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SaddleTramp98
    • Apr 2020

FXR mid control brake setup. Does this look right to you?

I gotta get rid of these forward controls so I'm trying to figure out how to install my mids, the pegs are already on and I have the brake lever, I've got the shift side worked out. what I cant figure out is how to connect the master cylinder to the lever. Its simple but I overthink things and just trying to make sure I'm doing this right.

My bike doesnt have the stock style master cylinder with the seperate reservoir. So I was gonna get a sportster one or similar, if that kind will work and mount it where the stock one goes. One problem my exhaust mount is in the way. I may be able to remove it and put the bolt through and then put it back on though. Click image for larger version

Name:	20210906_223613.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	294.0 KB
ID:	1347410

Click image for larger version

Name:	20210906_223645.jpg
Size:	293.3 KB
ID:	1347411

Could I just put the MC on with one bolt if I need to? Also the linkage, I need this kind to fit my lever:

Name:	rs=w_600,h_600.jpeg.jpg
Size:	5.1 KB
ID:	1347412

If I bought this style master cylinder with this linkage would it work? In my head it looks like it'll work but without the measurements I'm not sure. Also should I buy a used MC or a new one?

Name:	20210907_012334.jpg
Size:	72.2 KB
ID:	1347413

Or if anyone's got any other ideas I'd appreciate the help
    Thanks in advance!
  • TriNortchopz
    • Dec 2017

Do not mount the master cylinder with just one bolt.

Maybe an aftermarket remote reservoir M/C (or stock remote reservoir from a different bike) will fit in that space.
    A few options from a quick google search:

Name:	brake mc, remote reservoir.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	7.6 KB
ID:	1319986

Name:	brake mc, remote reservoirer xchange.jpg
Size:	15.8 KB
ID:	1319987

Name:	brake mc, rocker actuation, remote reservoir.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	73.8 KB
ID:	1319988
    If buildin' old school choppers was easy, anyone could do it... ain't nobody said it's gonna be easy...

Comment

• DoomBuggy
      • Oct 2016

Just watch the diameter of the piston on these. You want roughly the same size as stock. Too big and the brakes will grap too hard, too small and it will not clamp down tight enough on hard stops.

Comment

• SaddleTramp98
        • Apr 2020

The sportster one will fit there, ( It will mount on the back side I believe) the mounting holes would be in the same space as the ones with the remote reservoir like you posted.

The bracket is more in the way of the mounting bolt than the master cylinder itself. I believe if I take the bracket off and bolt up the MC then replace the bracket it will work, or the bracket might just need a spacer to push it out a little for clearance.

I'll order everything and see if its gonna work if not I can use the master cylinder on my other project maybe.

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
        Working...