• 47str8leg
    • Sep 2014

Panhead carb and tin questions

Click image for larger version

Name:	A4DE9399-5921-4671-9DDC-E09E357D9BF7.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	105.8 KB
ID:	1347409

Question #1 - S&S Super E carb needs a spacer block because the throttle pull cable won’t clear the head. S&S has two size blocks I’m aware of. I’d like to use the shorter spacer block but it’s a close call. Which one have some of you used in the past. FWIW I’m using a Phares panifold so I don’t know if that’s shorter than the S&S version or not.

Question #2- Hadn’t seen my motor in two years and noticed there are no d-rings on the heads after the rebuild.
    Looked through my old pictures and saw they weren’t on the motor to begin with when I gave it to the builder. This is my first foray into panheads so are they necessary to stop leaks ?
    I can see why a chopper builder would remove them to see more of the Pan tops .
    Is gaskets better these days to render them unnecessary or should I find a set of d-rings and slam them on ?

T.I.A
    Tim
  • JBinNC
    • Dec 2018

1) You might try twisting the cable guide so that the throttle cable enters from in front of the head. That would mean not using the idle cable. Another approach would be using an elbow at the carb to route the cable below the head flange.

2) Pans did not use any D-rings through mid-'50 or so, and then most were retrofitted with the thin D-rings. I don't know anything that will prevent valve cover leaks in the long run. The accessory cast aluminum valve covers are probably the best chance.

Jim

Comment

• Tater66
      • Mar 2019

I had to use a 1" spacer to run a Super E on a '63 Pan. Of course there are outside oiler pipes to get around so that may not be your situation.

I recommend the aluminum D-rings and these gaskets...

Panhead Rocker Arm Cover Gaskets or Rocker Box gaskets made of Silicone for Harley Davidson Panhead Motorcycles. Part # RG-17541-48B. Set of two black silicone gaskets - 1/8" thick. Reusable gaskets. Made in the USA.

Follow instructions, sneak up on torque setting. Took a few times around the bolt pattern to get even readings.

The d-rings I have needed to be "flattened". 1 full sheet of wet/dry sandpaper, flat spot big enough for paper and lots of circular motions later I'm leak free. Side note...dont forget to check clearance of d-ring to rocker cover. Nothing like nasty scratches/gouges on new rocker covers. Old aluminum covers bear witness to the "wiggle" method of getting them on.

Comment

• 47str8leg
        • Sep 2014

Thanks for the responses guys.
        Jim - I thought about adjusting the bracket but felt I wouldn’t be able to line it up with the groove on the carb pulley afterwards . Maybe I’m just not understanding your method though.
        It’s a 1957 Pan but I’ve seen it both ways in pictures ( with and without d-rings ) hence my question of necessity. I suspected they weren’t always there.

Tater- Thanks for the input and the gasket information. I will look into both.

Good thing you both told me to use the thin d-rings as I wouldn’t have known the difference.
        I guess I’ll try to find OEM to avoid fitment issues but who knows if the tins are original to begin with.

Thanks again,
        Tim
        Last edited by 47str8leg; 09-06-2021, 7:41 PM. Reason: Grammar

Comment

• Dragstews
          • Sep 2010

James Gaskets Mfg Part #: 17541-48-DL work super well ..
          Take my 45 and outrun em all ..

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
          Working...
          ;