CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search

Default Clutch release Arm cable setup

Hey Guys - working on a project where i just replaced my old revtech with a baker 6 frankentranny - the oldrevtech has the clutch release cable go into the side to activate the ball ramp.

The new baker has the clutch release pawl sticking up out the top like the older HD trans.

Still want to run my clutch lever on my handlebars. i see baker make a clutch release arm for the trans. But i need to see some ideas on how people are mounting the cable so it can a actually pull on the lever. Obviously it means the cable will now run down the left side above the primary, but anyone got some pictures of how they mount the cable - to the frame or to the primary, any pictures of brackets or such that ya'll are using would be helpful so i can figure out what i need to make.
    Its an aftermarket frame that ive since changed, might be able to weld something onto the center tube below my oil tank but still would be cool to see whats out there before i make something much harder than it has to be.

Seems like this setup was common on the earlier HD's but i cant seem to find any pictures of how the cable was routed/mounted near the lever.

Thanks

also should add im its an evo with a BDL open primary - seems to be a decent amount of meat on the BDL primary plate, that i could possible drill and tap into - if i had a fair idea of how to mount a bracket

I made mine, but you can buy they too. They mount between the frame and oil tank.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	clutch_cable_bracket_1.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	291.3 KB 
ID:	105126

Name:	clutch_cable_bracket_2.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	292.2 KB 
ID:	105127

Name:	clutch_cable_bracket_3.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	290.9 KB 
ID:	105128

Totally rad thanks - yeah i see whats going on. Real estate is getting to be a bit of a premium for me here but i think i have a fix. I need to figure out the total rotation of degrees of the clutch release pawl then i can see how much room ill need and what kind of funky ass rod i'll need to make - including where to finally weld the mounting bracket

Name:	IMG_4180.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	294.5 KB 
ID:	105130

Getting tight in there but thanks again for the visual - exactly what i needed to get my head around - so just really need to figure an exact straight shot from the bracket to the release arm end and im good.
    Appreciate your help thank you so much!

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

Here's a pic from my files of the factory bracket, used on 4 speeds from '68 up. It also includes a tab to mount the oil tank, but you could cut that off if you have no use for it. Shouldn't be hard to find one on eBay or put a wanted in the classifieds here. Part numbers are 62576-65A and 62576-79. Not sure what the difference is other than ratchet lid/rotary lid.

If the size of the bolt heads looks big to anyone who's seen a lot of them, they are. Someone before me had drilled and tapped the oil tank tab on the frame to 7/16 rather than the factory setup of 5/16.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails oiltank1.jpg  

Get Adobe Flash player

Note:
    This bracket is meant for a four speed style clutch cable. (Adjuster's at the end of the cable, not the middle)
    Four-speed style clutch lever/perch is preferred.
    But you can make a 4-speed lever barrel work in a 5-speed perch.
    But you loose some lever travel.
    (Diaphragm clutches don't need as much separation at the plate to disengage smoothly)

Suppose you could try to thread the end ferule on a five speed style cable, maybe.

Get Adobe Flash player

If you see the need for a custom cable to be made ...

.../// https://www.barnettclutches.com/cables.html \\\...

Share This