Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TomK
    • Oct 2013

1978 Shovelhead Chop - Replacement Build Thread

My original build thread was lost, so I finally got around to replacing it.

In November 2020, I decided to build a Shovelhead chop. What I wanted was a kick-only hardtail with an open primary and a springer front end. Apart from that, I was just going to figure it out as I went along.

It didn't take me long to find someone selling a bare, titled 1978 frame in Ohio. It was dirty, but otherwise in really good shape. I decided to go with the Voodoo Vintage hardtail.

Here's the frame:

Click image for larger version

Name:	XQv0dVlh.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	213.8 KB
ID:	1347404

After chopping the back half off:

Name:	7JZhrt0h.jpg
Size:	204.1 KB
ID:	1347405

How the hardtail arrived:

Name:	Gk2NbrYh.jpg
Size:	182.9 KB
ID:	1347406

Prepping the frame for welding:

Name:	ufEOoSbh.jpg
Size:	242.1 KB
ID:	1347407

Hardtail tack welded in place:

Name:	aSci2iMh.jpg
Size:	215.2 KB
ID:	1347408

After I had the hardtail tack-welded into place, I took it to a local professional welder to finish weld it. He did a really great job and made sure that he took his time so the frame wouldn't get warped out of alignment. Regarding alignment, I don't have a frame jig, so lining up the hardtail was done entirely with string, a tape measure, a level, and a laser.
  • TomK
    • Oct 2013

I picked up a 1978 74" motor from a different seller who also sold me a 4-speed transmission. They were off a salvage bike that had a carb fire. The front rocker box was toast and it had mis-matched heads--one was the original and the other was from a 1981. So, one o-ring and one band. I took the motor down and found that the bottom end was still really tight.

Name:	WOhLr0ih.jpg
Size:	193.9 KB
ID:	1319903

Here's what I found inside one of the heads:

Name:	rgPtKdAh.jpg
Size:	151.0 KB
ID:	1319904

Yeah, that's a blob of aluminum that had melted off the rocker box. I was really worried that the aluminum had gotten into the oil passages. The guy I bought it from had bought it as a salvage, and he told me that he was told that the previous owner shut the motor off as soon as the fire started. Once I had the motor completely taken down, I was able to confirm that no aluminum got into the oil passages fortunately.

I took the top end to Delzani's Cycle in Rocky River, Ohio and took some of the other motor parts to Grafton Metal Polishing. They both did a really good job:

Name:	DfA6ffgh.jpg
Size:	175.0 KB
ID:	1319905

Name:	X1uSWU0h.jpg
Size:	149.4 KB
ID:	1319906

Comment

• BlackCloudSalvage
      • Jan 2015

Great! Looking forward to seeing more. I'm tuned in.

Comment

• TomK
        • Oct 2013

One of the problems with recreating a build thread is that I forgot what order I did things in until I started looking at my photos again.

I also mocked up the oil tank I went with and had that professionally welded. I went with the oil tank made by the Gasbox here in Cleveland:

Name:	4JM8VJbh.jpg
Size:	129.1 KB
ID:	1319924

It's a really heavy-duty unit that matched up exactly with my frame.

Name:	oolkd1gh.jpg
Size:	152.2 KB
ID:	1319925

After I got my frame back from the welder, I mocked up my rear fender and welded on the tabs.

Name:	oy59EUZh.jpg
Size:	134.5 KB
ID:	1319926

I went with a classic 5" trailer fender, but I got it from TC Bros who claimed that the radius was correct for a chopper tire. That turned out to be pretty accurate. I didn't have to adjust the radius at all. On my last chop, I bought an honest-to-God trailer fender and had to use 2x4s and shit to adjust the radius.

I do have a rant, though. Why don't companies selling weld-on hardtails also sell the axles to fit? I had a hell of a time finding an axle, mostly because JP Cycle's search function for axles sucks.

Another aside, where I used a good product/vendor, I'll give their name. I didn't mention the name of my welder, though, not because he isn't awesome but because his insurance doesn't cover vehicle mods.

Name:	tqI3VM5h.jpg
Size:	161.9 KB
ID:	1319927

Mounting the fender is pretty straight-forward in case you haven't done it before. I taped a garden hose to the tire (Avon) and taped the fender onto that. Then, it's just line it up and weld the mounting brackets in place.

Along with mounting the fender, I made up my own sissy bar. I used 1/2" bar and bent it on a home-made fixture. For the one large radius bend at the top, I used a charcoal fire in a hibachi to heat a long enough section red-hot. (I don't have an oxy-acetylene torch)

Name:	z4dAgqgh.jpg
Size:	178.3 KB
ID:	1319928

Comment

• TomK
          • Oct 2013

Here's some more pictures of fabbing up the fender and sissy bar. I also went with a Lowbrow Customs Frisco Sporty tank, which was good quality. It took some molding to get it smooth, but it is heavy and well-made.

Name:	qA7hD7Sh.jpg
Size:	185.1 KB
ID:	1319929

Name:	TRV838gh.jpg
Size:	109.3 KB
ID:	1319930Click image for larger version

Name:	bctqDB0h.jpg
Size:	189.0 KB
ID:	1319931

Name:	ECghdqWh.jpg
Size:	125.6 KB
ID:	1319932

You can see my 1980 Ironhead in the background. The reason I started the Shovelhead build was because last year, the Ironhead really started burning oil and needed a need top end. I also really wanted a springer front end. I was talking to my wife about what I wanted to do with the bike and how much it was going to cost and whether it was worth putting the money into, and she suggested I just get the bike I really wanted.

Comment

• TomK
            • Oct 2013

Back to the motor and transmission.

I got the top end back from the shop and reassembled my motor. I went with brass rocker nuts and such, just because they look cool.

Name:	x9XyQR4h.jpg
Size:	133.7 KB
ID:	1319933Click image for larger version

Name:	m7R03eOh.jpg
Size:	161.1 KB
ID:	1319934

Name:	zVvnQ1Gh.jpg
Size:	136.2 KB
ID:	1319935

The magnets in the alternator were toast, so I replaced everything with Cycle Electric parts.

Name:	1B1bctoh.jpg
Size:	163.5 KB
ID:	1319936

The hardest part about the motor was cleaning it! Man, I tried everything and even talked to a guy about blasting it with dry ice. Elbow grease and brake parts cleaner did the trick, though.

The transmission that came with the motor was some odd after market unit with no brand on it. It seems like it was made to accept either a ratchet or cow pie top. The gears in it were brand new, but again, I had no idea who made them.

Name:	XTDGcXTh.jpg
Size:	161.6 KB
ID:	1319937

The tranny ran through the gear well enough, so I figured I would try it out. It didn't have a kicker, so I bought a cheapo V-twin unit (more about that later).

Comment

• TomK
              • Oct 2013

Mock-up time!

I picked up a BDL 1.5" open primary and replaced all the clutch components. I went with a 5-stud clutch hub, and as you can see in the photos, I originally planned on going foot clutch, hand shift (that will change).

I also took a lot of time trying to decide on what front end to go with. I'm naturally a cheap bastard, so my inclination was to go with one of the Taiwanese re-pops. After reading as much as I could find, I broke down and ordered a custom-made narrow springer from Paughco. Good choice. It is really beautiful, and the guys at Paughco were great to work with, Ian in particular.

Name:	aRZyFShh.jpg
Size:	213.9 KB
ID:	1319938

Here's some pictures of the mock-up:

Name:	qRi7Ua4h.jpg
Size:	143.8 KB
ID:	1319939Click image for larger version

Name:	8XSpDRJh.jpg
Size:	158.7 KB
ID:	1319940

Name:	Oxl6RIFh.jpg
Size:	143.8 KB
ID:	1319941

I also welded on an oil filter from Lowbrow Customs behind my oil tank.

Name:	7zdUD6ph.jpg
Size:	94.1 KB
ID:	1319942

The hardtail from Voodoo Vintage has a little more stretch than others, so there was enough room in there.

Comment

• TomK
                • Oct 2013

Seat building time.

I decided to try to build my own seat this time. I started with a pre-made seat pan from Prism Supply because I didn't think I'd be able to make the right bend to match my fender. The seat pan is nice, but is sized for a smaller frame than a Shovelhead. I made my own base and welded them together. Then I taped on some plastic around the edges.

Name:	VTEktmqh.jpg
Size:	124.5 KB
ID:	1319943

I used two layers of blue camping mat foam and some neoprene sheet to build up the seat. Shaping it was pretty easy, but made a huge mess.

Name:	48Lx7doh.jpg
Size:	124.0 KB
ID:	1319944

Luckily, there is a Tandy Leather store near me, so I bought all the supplies I needed to cover it in leather. "Casing" the leather was a chore, and I had to go buy a shit load of clamps.

Name:	UwPSpRrh.jpg
Size:	158.3 KB
ID:	1319945

I didn't want to go with basic black, so I died it a "medium" brown. It came out darker than I though, but I still like it.

Name:	p8wOWySh.jpg
Size:	134.1 KB
ID:	1319946

I took the seat to a local show repair shop, Westlake Shoe Repair, to see if they could stitch it for me. The owner put the seat in his sewing machine and told me that he could not get the stitching right up close against the seat pad. I was disappointed, but then he offered to stitch it by hand. I guessed it was going to cost a few bills, but agreed anyway. He then said it would cost $40 !!!!! No shit, only 40 bucks!

Name:	LSPktfCh.jpg
Size:	158.0 KB
ID:	1319947

I think he did a great job.

Comment

• TomK
                  • Oct 2013

Paint!

I was ready to paint, so I converted my garage into a paint booth. I wasn't 100% sure what I wanted to do, so I bought a bunch of different paints and sprayed test boards. I used rattle cans. I've done stripes and flames before, but this time I was going with more of a geometric design, so I knew I had to be a lot more precise with my tape.

Name:	Xmt7H5Xh.jpg
Size:	96.3 KB
ID:	1319948

Name:	4c9kM4Ih.jpg
Size:	124.0 KB
ID:	1319949Click image for larger version

Name:	Vwv0SEch.jpg
Size:	133.6 KB
ID:	1319950

Name:	CQvZ0t6h.jpg
Size:	131.0 KB
ID:	1319951

Name:	mdBID18h.jpg
Size:	151.0 KB
ID:	1319952

It didn't come out perfect, but pretty good for me. I laid down a few coats of 2-part clear to finish it off.

Comment

• TomK
                    • Oct 2013

Final Assembly

After the paint dried for about 2 weeks, I started the final assembly. Everything went together very well.

Name:	YmobJUAh.jpg
Size:	223.0 KB
ID:	1319954Click image for larger version

Name:	dueA9pwh.jpg
Size:	187.6 KB
ID:	1319955

Name:	bLaf4CHh.jpg
Size:	175.0 KB
ID:	1319956

I also got my sissy bar back from the chromer.

Name:	mhGX387h.jpg
Size:	76.6 KB
ID:	1319957Click image for larger version

Name:	fcBenUuh.jpg
Size:	57.7 KB
ID:	1319958

On the recommendation I got here, I sent it to The Finishing Touch in Chicago. I got it back in two weeks and at a competitive price. The Cleveland area chrome shops were telling me I would have to wait at least 6 months.

Comment

• TomK
                      • Oct 2013

Issues

Here's how the bike was looking as I was almost done with the final assembly, wiring, running lines, etc.

Name:	14o0moth.jpg
Size:	217.4 KB
ID:	1319959Click image for larger version

Name:	PLXLpReh.jpg
Size:	228.9 KB
ID:	1319960

Then I started running into issues.

I went with a CV carb, but had trouble mounting it because I also installed the Old Stf brass oil lines. The oil lines work well enough and really look nice, but they really interfere with a CV carb. I had to install a 1" manifold spacer and still had to trim back the throttle bracket significantly.

Name:	nAosix8h.jpg
Size:	169.0 KB
ID:	1319961

Then I had a mysterious oil leak once I got the motor running. Turns out I simply forgot to cap off the primary oil feed from the oil pump.

Name:	wJFLvleh.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	117.6 KB
ID:	1319962

Comment

• TomK
                        • Oct 2013

More Issues

Then I ran into a big issue. I stripped the cheap-ass kicker gears (key sheared off) and had to replace them with a set of Baker gears. Even after, I was having a lot of problems with the gears engaging. So, I also installed a S&S kicker cover and Jims shaft. Even then, I still had problems with the kicker.

Name:	q6IoeCVh.jpg
Size:	110.6 KB
ID:	1319963Click image for larger version

Name:	Lojbezyh.jpg
Size:	64.4 KB
ID:	1319964

Name:	VepspMih.jpg
Size:	162.4 KB
ID:	1319965

So...I bit the bullet and got a Baker 6-in-a-4:

Name:	L0BFBeXh.jpg
Size:	154.4 KB
ID:	1319966

This presented a whole bunch of new issues, though. First, I couldn't use the hand shifter I had and would have to get something else. Second, and more importantly, there was not enough space between the top of the Baker and the bottom of my oil tank for the Baker clutch arm to fit.

Name:	lGqeNSah.jpg
Size:	114.7 KB
ID:	1319967

I tried three different stock and aftermarket clutch arms that I tried, but none would work. They would hit the transmission cover.

Comment

• TomK
                          • Oct 2013

The solution was to go with a standard hand clutch, foot shift set-up. I had to bend up my own clutch arm from the longest aftermarket one I could find. It was a long trial and error process to get it right.

Name:	4kDfs7wh.jpg
Size:	233.6 KB
ID:	1319968

Name:	F6DmSP5h.jpg
Size:	162.9 KB
ID:	1319969Click image for larger version

Name:	wPP0Ff3h.jpg
Size:	148.6 KB
ID:	1319970

I was able to finally get the bike on the road, get it tuned right, and even rode it to work a few times. Everything was running great! The only problem I had was that my air cleaner stuck out too far and my knee hurt from bending my leg around it. I swapped it out for a Gasbox dog dish cover, and that fixed the problem.

Name:	mCWYB4sh.jpg
Size:	208.2 KB
ID:	1319971Click image for larger version

Name:	7578XqZh.jpg
Size:	187.3 KB
ID:	1319972

Comment

• TomK
                            • Oct 2013

Figuring Out Kickstarting the Hard Way

This is my first kick-start only bike, and I really didn't know what I was doing. Sometimes I would get it started on the first kick, other times not. After swapping out the air cleaner, I took my bike for a short trip around the neighborhood to heat the motor up enough to check the tuning. Unfortunately, my multiple kicks had run the tiny battery down, and idling around the block didn't let the alternator charge the battery up. So, it died at the bottom of a hill and I couldn't kick it back to life on a dead battery. Of course it was the hottest time of the day on the hottest day of the year, and I had to push it home--stopping in every piece of shade.

Name:	hWXXztrh.jpg
Size:	238.4 KB
ID:	1319973Click image for larger version

Name:	ijSDqNul.jpg
Size:	116.1 KB
ID:	1319974

Name:	URyTcfSh.jpg
Size:	248.3 KB
ID:	1319975

After that ordeal, I double-checked my charging system, and everything checked out. I also figured out the right starting procedure, and now I can get it started every time with one kick after two priming kicks.

The bike is essentially done, now, and I'm very happy with how it came out. I'm a total amateur, and my project shows that anybody with basic tools and the will to get it done can tackle a chopper build. I got a lot of help and inspiration from people on this board, both directly answering my questions and from just reading other peoples' posts. Thank you all.

Comment

• TomK
                              • Oct 2013

Tech Sheet

Frame: 1978 Harley Davidson FLH
                              Hardtail: Voodoo Vintage
                              Motor: 74" 1978 HD FLH stock cam, hydraulic lifters, 8.5:1 compression
                              Engine Work: Ed Delzani, Delzani Cycles, Rocky River, Ohio
                              Paint: Rattle can - me
                              Electrical: Cycle Electric alternator and regulator
                              Drive: BDL 1.5" open belt
                              Transmission: Baker 6-in-a-4
                              Forks: Paughco narrow round leg wishbone springer
                              Bars: Lowbrow Customs 8" t-bars
                              Front MC/clutch perch: GMA
                              Grips: Lowbrow Customs aluminum
                              Mirror: Biltwell
                              Headlight: Lowbrow Customs 4 1/2" early style
                              Front brake: Performance Machine
                              Wheels/tires: 21" laced front, 16" laced rear, Avon Speedmaster
                              Rear brake: Lowbrow Customs bracket, Mid-USA caliper
                              Foot controls: Throttle Addiction Mid-USA
                              Seat: Me. Stitching by Westlake Shoe Repair
                              Gas tank: Lowbrow Customs Frisco standard sporty
                              Oil tank: The Gasbox
                              Oil filter mount: Lowbrow Customs
                              Ignition: Points - American Prime advance; Blue Streak condenser and breaker
                              Brass oil lines and nuts: Old Stf
                              Carb: Harley CV
                              Air cleaner: The Gasbox
                              Pipes: V-twin 2-into-1 with cocktail shaker muffler
                              Sissy bar: me
                              Chrome: The Finishing Touch, Chicago
                              Polish: Me and Grafton Metal Polishing, Grafton Ohio
                              Taillight: Unknown. Some old one I had lying about that cleaned up well
                              Rear fender: TC Bros 5" trailer fender
                              Last edited by TomK; 09-05-2021, 1:37 PM.

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                              Working...
                              ;