CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Default wiring diagram 2003 Big Mike chopper

I know I'm throwing a hook out into ocean hoping to catch something but here it is: Anyone have a wiring diagram for a BMC 2003 chopper?

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

Is big mike not reachable?

Big Mike choppers went belly up with the chopper part (I think about 2009), but has a seat and accessory site named BMC. I called them and the guy there referred me to their warehouse thinking one of guys there would have experience with the bike portion. Haven't heard back.

Get Adobe Flash player

What part of the bike are you having trouble with?

well what started with the turning signals not working has now grown into me wanting a wiring diagram before I dig into the turning signal issue. But there are other areas I want to verify because some owner before ran some pretty interesting wires going all over and not going anywhere and not following a color code of any sort

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by JimP View Post
    well what started with the turning signals not working has now grown into me wanting a wiring diagram before I dig into the turning signal issue. But there are other areas I want to verify because some owner before ran some pretty interesting wires going all over and not going anywhere and not following a color code of any sort
    Man I feel for you, That's always not a good thing when the wires change colors before they get somewhere....... I'm not sure a wiring diagram will be of much help in your case.......... An ohm meter might be more suited?????

Best of luck.......

Get Adobe Flash player

The basics, you don't need no stinkin' indicators on a chop...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wiring.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	70.9 KB 
ID:	105083

The way i see it is your only option is to find someone who knows electrics. They will know how to trace every wire whether different colors or not and trouble shoot and correct any electrical issues you may have. Only problem is finding a competent person that wont break the bank. In my opinion, if your wiring is not right, you will always have problems with the bike. Good luck

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by Hoghead View Post

bingo, gut the bastard and use this diagram

^^^^that will work so long as there are no turn signals or electric start

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by Hoghead View Post

Whoa! Thatís way too complicated! Key? Horn? Dimmer? Whatís next, a stereo?

Get Adobe Flash player

Turn signals aren't particularly complicated.. But PO wiring messes can be.

To avoid future trouble on the side of the road, perhaps this would be a good time to search one of the basic wiring diagrams on this website, or to download a Service Manual and go through your wiring and clean it up, and mark the colors on their diagram?

This PO hacked up, rats nest, wiring shit never works on anything, be it a Harley or a Hot Rod.. It will always come back to bite you when you least expect it and it can take expensive components out in the process. Could even start a fire and burn your bike up?

Bike wiring is pretty simple. Maybe it's time to clean it up, fix it for good and make yourself a reference diagram for the future?

Get Adobe Flash player

PS: Otherwise, a basic turn signal circuit is pretty simple.. You pull current through the bulbs to turn them on, and there's a flasher in the circuit that heats up and oscillates.

thanks for the diagram, and yes I agree with the turn signals, TomK unfortunately Iowa law doesn't. and no I use the music of the road combined with what's playing in my head which is usually the golden oldies.
    Last edited by JimP; 09-02-2021 at 3:47 PM.

You are absolutely right in everything you said, confab. I'm thinking of ripping it all out and starting over that's why I contacted the now defunct company to get a diagram so I could follow the original wires and color codes they used, in case I sell it when I'm older and feeble

Get Adobe Flash player

PPS: Although, I think it was lost in the Crash of 21, Lisa Ballard was advertising some guy who did Harley instruction manuals in a very basic form in the main part of the website.

It was electrical information as it relates to motorcycles and was drawn in almost a cartoon format. It was aimed at beginners or people with little experience and broke systems down and answered basic questions and generally looked to be very well constructed and thought out.

I can't think of the guy's name right off.. But someone here will know it and that might be worth having if you decide to just rebuild from scratch.

Good Luck, Bro!

Get Adobe Flash player

Jim, you'll be miles ahead if you rip all the clusterfuck out and start fresh, tryin to patch a fucked wiring harness is a waste of time and energy not to mention risking more trouble or a fire.

My suggestion would be, if you are familiar with the elecrics on motorcycles, keep the wiring harness, most of which will be the factory installed wires. Go through it, drawing your own diagram as you go. Where you can determine that wires were added or repaired, do take that stuff out and repair or replace it properly. If that is beyond your capabilities, you need to take the advice above, and turn it over to someone who KNOWS what he is doing.

Many of the commercial "choppers" had wiring based on the H-D system, and H-D used the same colors for the same circuits for years and years. Therefore, a wiring diagram from an early '90s Softail, for instance, might be helpful to you if you cannot find a diagram for your particular bike.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Hubbard View Post
    Jim, you'll be miles ahead if you rip all the clusterfuck out and start fresh, tryin to patch a fucked wiring harness is a waste of time and energy not to mention risking more trouble or a fire.
    I disagree with this advice, because at least in the case of H-D, the factory harness is very good, and a good basis to build on. I am assuming that the OP's bike had a decent harness to start with, and I would keep it and FIX it, rather than throwing out the baby with the bathwater. If the bike were 40 years old, it might be a different story. (But my '80 H-D still has its factory harness.)

Of course, after repairing a butchered harness, you might wish you had ripped it all out and started from scratch.

I make custom wiring harnesses for bikes and I am definitely not intimidated by starting from zero, but still, making use of the existing harness is my advice.

Jim

As usual you give good advice, Jim. I am going to take off the tank and trace the 5 or 6 wires I'm not comfortable with. I have a friend who has the technical manual for an HD and use that as a reference. I'll keep everyone know how it goes.

Share This