CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search
Page 2 of 2 First 12

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by JBinNC View Post
    If the bike were 40 years old, it might be a different story. (But my '80 H-D still has its factory harness.)

Of course, after repairing a butchered harness, you might wish you had ripped it all out and started from scratch.

I make custom wiring harnesses for bikes and I am definitely not intimidated by starting from zero, but still, making use of the existing harness is my advice.

Jim
    Hell my 79 FXS has the stock wiring still on it, it had the harness going into the headlight cut into now that is a LOT of wires because someone was to lazy to unpin it..... But I fixed it...

I totally agree, I also make harnesses from scratch........ If his harness it's to bad and I bet it isn't once you get all the added crap off of it it will be real easy to straighten out....... And I still say no wiring diagram will be needed with a multi-meter.......

Quote Originally Posted by Tattooo View Post
    Hell my 79 FXS has the stock wiring still on it, it had the harness going into the headlight cut into now that is a LOT of wires because someone was to lazy to unpin it..... But I fixed it...

I totally agree, I also make harnesses from scratch........ If his harness it's to bad and I bet it isn't once you get all the added crap off of it it will be real easy to straighten out....... And I still say no wiring diagram will be needed with a multi-meter.......
    Agree that you dont need a wiring diagram if you have a multimeter and know how to use it. But a diagram does help.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by Whoremonger View Post
    Agree that you dont need a wiring diagram if you have a multimeter and know how to use it. But a diagram does help.
    Yep it doesn't hurt if you can find one for an aftermarket bike...........

Well after the month of September tracing wires....I'm ordering an Ultima Plus 18-533 harness.
    Confab and Hubbard you were right, tear that bullshit out and start over. The only use for the old is pulling the new stuff in.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by JimP View Post
    Well after the month of September tracing wires....I'm ordering an Ultima Plus 18-533 harness.
    Confab and Hubbard you were right, tear that bullshit out and start over. The only use for the old is pulling the new stuff in.
    Post a pic of some of the messed up wiring. Close ups and further back pics..............

I talked to the original buyer he stated he rode the bike nothing was changed (by the looks of the oil that was in it, the oil wasn't either) on the bike, so if Big Mike's Choppers were still in business I would suggest he fire his electrical tech!

Get Adobe Flash player

I talked to the original buyer he stated he rode the bike nothing was changed (by the looks of the oil that was in it, the oil wasn't either) on the bike, so if Big Mike's Choppers were still in business I would suggest he fire his electrical tech!
    I don't blame you. That's more than likely one reason why they are out of business....... Plus the fat tire craze is over........

Ultima parts aren't much better I hate to tell you...........

I'd still like to see pics of the old harness..........

I'll send pics of the old one it will be awhile though. Could you expand on what you have heard/experienced with the Ultima Plus wire harness, might save me some heartache

Get Adobe Flash player

I'll send pics of the old one it will be awhile though. Could you expand on what you have heard/experienced with the Ultima Plus wire harness, might save me some heartache
    I don't like ANYTHING that ultima makes............. That's just me to me it's all junk and cheaply made...........

Well don't hold back, tell me how you feel

Get Adobe Flash player

Well don't hold back, tell me how you feel
    LOL I always have............... LOL

We are here to help. To save time and money............

Get Adobe Flash player

LOL I always have............... LOL

We are here to help. To save time and money............
    The only big inch motor i've ever owned is a Sputhe, but where I hear much dissatisfaction with Revtech, have heard much better things about Ultima in the past. Has something declined with them in the last decade?

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by Hoghead View Post
    The only big inch motor i've ever owned is a Sputhe, but where I hear much dissatisfaction with Revtech, have heard much better things about Ultima in the past. Has something declined with them in the last decade?
    Ultima had some issues with their engines early on, but they got things ironed out. Ultima has some decent stuff.

Get Adobe Flash player

Pretty hard to mess up a wiring harness. I do wonder about the solid state components, however.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by confab View Post
    Pretty hard to mess up a wiring harness.
    LOL You haven't seen many have you????????? I've seen many fucked up harnesses in bikes and cars.........

Get Adobe Flash player

LOL You haven't seen many have you????????? I've seen many fucked up harnesses in bikes and cars.........
    Fucked up harnesses are all over the place!!!!!!!!!!!............ That has nothing to do with what JimP posted and asked!!!!!!!!!!......... Or what confab posted!!!!!!!!!!!

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by rockman96 View Post
    Fucked up harnesses are all over the place!!!!!!!!!!!............

Yep that's exactly what I said.................... It's not hard at all...............

Get Adobe Flash player

Beware of aftermarket harnesses too, especially switches which tend to be shit. Hoard HD switches if you can find them and buy spares.

Get Adobe Flash player

Hoard HD switches if you can find them and buy spares.
    Yes sir you are correct, That's why I bought several 70s style HD control push buttons when I seen that the aftermarket ones in the 90s were junk.... I'm really glad I did........

Share This