CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search
Page 2 of 3 First 123 Last

Thread: This was fun!

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

Don't see that breaking, myself....

Get Adobe Flash player

That ain't going no-where ...

Cut a Hoe in the plate and Glue in a ....

Keeping it British ..(Plus, it would increase the value of the scoot)

datadavid

Quote Originally Posted by Dragstews View Post
    How many rods did it take to fill up that "Hoe" ... ??

(Careful, it's a loaded question.. )

.../// https://youtu.be/NJO7hcinS-U \\\...
    It took all the rod and a little more😁

datadavid

Quote Originally Posted by Dragstews View Post
    That ain't going no-where ...

Cut a Hoe in the plate and Glue in a ....

Keeping it British ..(Plus, it would increase the value of the scoot)
    Um yea, then it would be worth exactly One biafra shilling

datadavid

Just took it for a short test ride, but damn it improved the whole bike. A lot less front end flex and vibrations through the handlebars. Rides and turns a lot better now, may have to strip and go through the rest of the frame now just because of this, was thinking of taking the engine out and boring it for next o.s pistons and installing tapered headstock bearings anyway.. gotta have some winter work to look forward to.

Get Adobe Flash player

When I sand blasted the panhead frame I found some sketchy repairs which I had rewelded. After that break I would be looking at mine really closely !

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by datadavid View Post

Was thinking of taking the engine out and boring it for next o.s pistons, gotta have some winter work to look forward to.

TRIUMPH 650 TO 750 9 STUD MORGO ROUTT TYPE BIG BORE KIT 1963-72 PN# TBS-0150 .. $629.95

Get Adobe Flash player

Just took it for a short test ride, but damn it improved the whole bike. A lot less front end flex and vibrations through the handlebars. Rides and turns a lot better now, may have to strip and go through the rest of the frame now just because of this, was thinking of taking the engine out and boring it for next o.s pistons and installing tapered headstock bearings anyway.. gotta have some winter work to look forward to.
    Tapered headstock bearings- yes- couldn't agree more. Is it a 500? I took mine out to 60 thou over.

Get Adobe Flash player

The Morgo or Routt Style big bore conversions for the long rod 650s were very popular (750cc and 800cc) but they wont work on this bike as its a unit 500. For a few years JRC was offering a 500 to 550 big bore kit and told it helped boost torque noticeably and the 500 unit is a different animal than the 650s with a very fat torque curve to begin with.

However there was little interest in the kits and a slow seller so due to rampant apathy, they stopped making & selling.

500 cyls vary but seemingly they can bore out much more than the typical 10-20-30-40 and risky 60 thou on a 650. I have a Triumph with 80 over and no issues but that is not common. However I have seen 500 twins up to a 100 thou over so must be a lot more meat on the bones.

I have some forged slipper race pistons looking forward to playing with.

datadavid

No, its just getting +.40 pistons this time, i get a bit of piston slap at idle when cold. Gonna see if the main bush needs replacing when i have it out as well. Yea its a 67 500. They can be bored out to almost 600cc, using std 650 pistons iirc.

Get Adobe Flash player

Yea i kinda lost inspiration with the coffin tank after sanding down the spray filler, was waiting for pink candy flakes for a few months and couldnt figure out what i want on the tank, finallly ordered a few spray cans this week, just before the "incident"
    I already have some ss runes on the rear fender btw!
    Only thing i know is the tank will be white and shimmer pink, its gay enough for me to ride😅
    Pink and SS runes will be a good combo!!!
    https://youtu.be/jaR3L_co_2E

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by Nobodyknowsimashithead View Post
    Pink and SS runes will be a good combo!!!
    https://youtu.be/jaR3L_co_2E
    Funny that , SS armoured divisions had pink piping on their uniforms.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RUNES2.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	29.2 KB 
ID:	105257

Get Adobe Flash player

No, its just getting +.40 pistons this time, i get a bit of piston slap at idle when cold. Gonna see if the main bush needs replacing when i have it out as well. Yea its a 67 500. They can be bored out to almost 600cc, using std 650 pistons iirc.
    I am not too sure about using 650 pistons, I doubt that, but admittedly have never tried. Would be a neat trick though. Dammit,,, now I have to research this. But keep in mind there is at least 2 different combustion chambers. Early motors had a high dome hemi style chamber some tuners prefer but are hard to source pistons for. Later motors (IIRC 68 & up ->) use a much smaller dome similar to what later 750 short rod motors ran.

Its important to know that the BSA 250 (B25 and Triumph variant T25) as well as the BSA/Triumph triples used some unit 500 parts. late B25 pistons interchange. The pin height will work for a C15 but is wrong for a triple to 250 single.

Several places are offering JE modern pistons and rings but not cheap.

The rods are weak and fine for a low RPM street bike but not if you rev it. MAP cycle is selling high performance rods suitable for hard core street bikes and racing.

Here is a good guide to unit 500 racing

See: http://www.epnat.ca/cyctr500.htm

Building a Vintage Triumph 500cc Road Racer

You don't have to go to one of the Japanese makes to build a budget 500cc or 350cc Vintage Road Racer. A 60's period unit construction Triumph offers an inexpensive and competitive alternative in the VRRA/USCRA Period 1 class and AHRMA Premier and Sportsman classes.

This paper is an account of my experiences building and racing Triumphs over the last ten years. A number of companies are mentioned in the text and this is intended as a sample of the many companies that exist to supply the Vintage Racing movement. Mentioning a company does not imply personal experience of that company or an endorsement of their products (unless this is specifically mentioned). Likewise, there are many ideas, opinions and methods of performance improvement. I am covering those I have used or seen used, and there are many others not mentioned here. I take full responsibility for any inaccuracies and would be pleased to answer any questions or provide further info

Get Adobe Flash player

These guys make a 530 big bore kit:

530 Big Bore Kit for Unit Construction Triumph 500 Twins

Bolt-on kit comes with barrels, pistons, rings, wristpins and circlips.
    Uses the standard 500 head gasket.
    http://www.britcycle.com/Products/53...BigBoreKit.htm

I am not too sure about using 650 pistons, I doubt that, but admittedly have never tried. Would be a neat trick though. Dammit,,, now I have to research this.
    Triumph “C” Range Performance Comments

Triumph “C” Range Unit Twin Bore & Stroke Data:

Big bore #2: 530cc 71.76mm / 2.825" bore
    “Big bore” cylinder, actually a 650 +.030” piston in the original 500 cylinder

http://victorylibrary.com/brit/Tri-500-c.htm

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by TriNortchopz View Post

Well, I'll be dipped! It IS possible! Well thanks for the food for thought. Got a few 500 projects and was working on them. I do have 2 500 unit Chopper frames that are aftermarket, Ill add them to the pictures list on the frame thread I am working on. One of them when I got it had a ridiculous amount of rake to it and we shortened it up a bit with a new neck. Its still a long bike but more manageable now. Ones set up for a springer the other a regular set of forks that were lengthened.

Thanks for the tech tip.

datadavid

Quote Originally Posted by TriNortchopz View Post

Yea thats right, maximum practical limit with stock barrels is 530 cc. I wouldnt try it though.. just gonna go next o/s because these barrels seem solid. Given me thousands and thousands of miles so far. Might be giving it map rods too, i like to hammer the throttle
    Last edited by datadavid; 08-03-2020 at 11:50 PM.

datadavid

Quote Originally Posted by Dougtheinternetannoyance123 View Post
    I am not too sure about using 650 pistons, I doubt that, but admittedly have never tried. Would be a neat trick though. Dammit,,, now I have to research this. But keep in mind there is at least 2 different combustion chambers. Early motors had a high dome hemi style chamber some tuners prefer but are hard to source pistons for. Later motors (IIRC 68 & up ->) use a much smaller dome similar to what later 750 short rod motors ran.

Its important to know that the BSA 250 (B25 and Triumph variant T25) as well as the BSA/Triumph triples used some unit 500 parts. late B25 pistons interchange. The pin height will work for a C15 but is wrong for a triple to 250 single.

Several places are offering JE modern pistons and rings but not cheap.

The rods are weak and fine for a low RPM street bike but not if you rev it. MAP cycle is selling high performance rods suitable for hard core street bikes and racing.

Here is a good guide to unit 500 racing

See: http://www.epnat.ca/cyctr500.htm

Building a Vintage Triumph 500cc Road Racer

You don't have to go to one of the Japanese makes to build a budget 500cc or 350cc Vintage Road Racer. A 60's period unit construction Triumph offers an inexpensive and competitive alternative in the VRRA/USCRA Period 1 class and AHRMA Premier and Sportsman classes.

This paper is an account of my experiences building and racing Triumphs over the last ten years. A number of companies are mentioned in the text and this is intended as a sample of the many companies that exist to supply the Vintage Racing movement. Mentioning a company does not imply personal experience of that company or an endorsement of their products (unless this is specifically mentioned). Likewise, there are many ideas, opinions and methods of performance improvement. I am covering those I have used or seen used, and there are many others not mentioned here. I take full responsibility for any inaccuracies and would be pleased to answer any questions or provide further info
    I have ran both early and late style heads with high dome 9:1 pistons, both worked great. Even carved out a polygonal shape 350 head and ran it just for fun

Get Adobe Flash player

I got My profile deleted, dunno why must be all the nazi tourettes shitposting? Anyway im back my fellow ass-eaters!

Get Adobe Flash player

Was chasing some new vibrations and found a broken bottom subframe bolt that was just spotwelded to the frame drilled the sucker out and threaded a new 7/16 UNF at work. Then before a 300 mile weekend run i discovered the pullrod for the primary chain tensioner had snapped. A quick weld and off we went just pissed a little through the torn cover gasket, otherwise it was fine.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20200823_092439.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	294.4 KB 
ID:	106112Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20200828_085747.jpg 
Size:	286.0 KB 
ID:	106113

Name:	image_from_ios-1.jpg 
Size:	299.4 KB 
ID:	106115
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_20200830_110410.jpg   img_20200829_120306.jpg  
    Last edited by CaptainBohus; 3 Weeks Ago at 1:32 AM.

Get Adobe Flash player

Name:	image_from_ios-2.jpg 
Size:	309.9 KB 
ID:	106117
    Last edited by CaptainBohus; 3 Weeks Ago at 1:42 AM.

Share This