CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

Default Awesome Workout Today!

So, I havenít worked out since my gym closed during the Covid shutdown, and Iím pretty much out of shape. Thereís also a heat wave, so I thought it would be a great day to start a new workout regimen at the hottest time of the day.

I put a new air cleaner on my bike, and planned on taking it for a short drive to get it warmed up for tuning. I got about a mile from home and it died while stopped at a hill.

I kicked and kicked until I nearly passed out and laid myself down under a tree. Then, I noticed my headlight was super dim. Dead battery.

I had to push my bike home, stopping in the shade about 50 times, and collapsing under the nearest tree or bush. Man was it fucking hot!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	6C755841-8EE9-4B77-807B-6C967C9FB754.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	177.1 KB 
ID:	104954

Name:	14BA305D-7352-4BAB-88D6-0752FD349262.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	159.0 KB 
ID:	104955

Name:	8737B4B7-BFC5-4C2B-BD1B-CFCCB55E6ECF.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	150.1 KB 
ID:	104956

I had at least six people stop and ask if I needed help, but of course I said ďno.Ē I didnít want to lose my pump! Two cool dudes came back and gave me water and Gatorade, probably saving my life, but also making me feel like a pussy.

This was the best workout Iíve had in a long time! Highly recommended for any of you fat asses like me!

Get Adobe Flash player

LOL, I was so there with you. When I first brought my Pan home I went for a short ride which turned into a workout as well. Fortunately not in this heat, phew!

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by TomK View Post
    Then, I noticed my headlight was super dim. Dead battery.
    That's exactly why when I wire all my bikes the first ignition click that runs NOTHING but the ignition and nothing else..... Not even the brake light.............. Plus in my younger days you can run from the cops better at night........ LOL
    I've NEVER had to push my bikes....... I've had to ride home at night without lights but I made it home...............
    Last edited by Tattooo; 08-28-2021 at 4:57 PM.

Get Adobe Flash player

^^ That's the wise move on old machines since it isolates the ignition and slashes power draw.

I put points on everything with a kicker since they take no juice to operate leaving whatever remains for the coil.

OP should perform a charging system test after recharging and load testing his battery (load testers are cheap and simple). If the battery is old I shitcan it. If it's a serviceable lead acid battery (I get excellent use out of Yuasa) I check each cell with a hydrometer and discard if a cell is bad since bad batteries kill charging systems.

Electrical systems don't age well so every old HD new to me gets a complete replacement rather than riding until failure. Since electrical parts are consumable I keep a complete spare charging system and both points and EI systems so the fleet is covered. They won't get cheaper and having spares for rapid swapout is insanely handy.

Get Adobe Flash player

I have an on-on-off switch that I’m going to wire in. I also run points on the bike, and the entire electrical system is new: Cycle Electric alternator and regulator. I’m running a new Yuasa lead acid battery, but it’s a tiny one. I tested my system yesterday and it checks out. My problem was not getting it started quickly enough and the lights (non-led) ran the battery down and I wasn’t running at high enough RPMs to get a good charge from the alternator. I was basically idling around the neighborhood.

I did some experiments, and figured out how to get the bike started with one kick which knocks the battery down only about 4%. I’ll still wire in the switch though.

Share This