CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

Default 82 Harley fxr gas tank nipple stripped … shit

Hello, I picked up a decent looking 82 shovel fxr project. Looking at the tank today I noticed the main threaded gas tank nipple where the petcock attached is totally stripped for some reason. Anyone know if these are welded inside/ pressed on the inside of the gas tank? Anyone here ever replace one? The tank is really clean inside and out, hoping to find a solution. Thanks, bill

Any chance you could post some pics???? OK, I'm a pic whore.

Get Adobe Flash player

Default She’s a mess

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AFEF6CEC-5EB2-4D15-A87C-5EF1C70276CB.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	92.9 KB 
ID:	104810

Get Adobe Flash player

Name:	ADC22CA7-3F94-4D2A-81B5-0D1F1839E483.jpeg 
Views:	5 
Size:	32.4 KB 
ID:	104811

Get Adobe Flash player

Default The tank is in great shape other than the nipple

Name:	F0F56742-BC6D-4215-9689-13FFCE1E1667.jpeg 
Views:	9 
Size:	26.5 KB 
ID:	104812

Get Adobe Flash player

man that's buggered !!...
    I'm thinking it will need cutting out & a new one welded in.....
    ya might have to get someone to turn you up the fitting, NOT a hard or expensive job & get a good TIG welder to glue it in, or if you can find a tank thats no good but has a good fuel spigot on it you can cut it out & replace yours with it by welding it in
    how did it get that badly damaged ?..... I've never seen one that far gone...

Get Adobe Flash player

Haha I’m not sure but looks like someone got aggressive with some channel locks or vice grips at some point. I found some weld in nipples for a petcock online. I’m not sure how the repair will be done tho. Will they cut the bottom section out and weld in the new nipple then reweld up the section? It’s not a show bike but I’d like to keep the look of the shovel fxr fairly stock. Bike runs great and shifts good. eBay has the same tank for $400 but I’m thinking the nipple replacement will be far less. Time to look up a good tig man nearby.

just throwing this out. maybe carefully grind down the threads. get a new bung and bore it out if enough meat. press the threads on old stub.. jb weld, solder (or silver solder) with a soldering iron (to protect paint vs torch) Just dont reef on the new petcock with the big swede!

Get Adobe Flash player

Thanks for the idea flatman. After looking late last night online I found a replacement petcock bung that has to be welding in. Looks like I’ll run it over to the local welding shop and see how they feel about replacing it. I’m guessing they will cut a small square out around the existing bung, cut out the old then install the new bung and weld it back up. Either way I’ll pressure test it after the weld up. The bike needs repainted anyway so I’m kinda happy someone didn’t destroy the bung on a original paint shovel fxr

Get Adobe Flash player

Make a fitting with undersize threads and with either an incredible amount of back and forth with fine lapping compound or cutting wit an adjustable die will save it. Is it worth all that? Welding and repainting is proly cheaper.
    Dusty

Take a (metric) thread file and dress the threads, and dress the gasket surface wirh a flat file while you are at it. Clean out the inside diameter enough that the fuel filter will slide in with the petcock. There is a good chance the petcock nut will tighten just fine. It is a low stress item. It seals at the gasket surface and not the threads. A little elbow grease should save that tank even though it looks pretty bad at first glance.

Jim

Get Adobe Flash player

Thanks Jim, I’ll give that a try tomorrow after work. If I can’t get a good seal then I’ll wait for the new bung to arrive and see about getting it welded in

Get Adobe Flash player

looking at the damage, to me it looks like someone in the past tried to remove the bung thinking it was screwed in & had a go at it with a pipe wrench.
    it does kinds look it might have been if they had not worked on one before...........

Any progress to report, putting some miles on her???

Share This