Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • docmel
    • May 2015

Tire change vent

An observation and rant: WITF is it SO hard to find a biz that will change a tire if you bring one to them. Yeah, I've heard the, "Its an insurance thing", or, "We just cant get to it". Or how bout the classic, "Our policy is we only mount tires bought here"..........

And IF you can find a place to change a tire, it about 80-90 bone to do it. And that with the wheel OFF the bike

And before anyone says do it with strap and tire irons, NO thanks. Been there, done it, it sucks, and try it with size of MC tires nowadays. They are pretty big and beefy ........

Apparently, I'm not the only one: Its so bad there are 2 guys locally that thats the only thing they do out of thier house and they get ALLOT of biz. How does $25 bucks, balanced sound? (You have to bring your tube if thats the case). And they do it right there while you wait.

So who else has encountered getting tires mounted?
  • JBinNC
    • Dec 2018

There is no upside for a motorcycle shop to mount a carry-in tire, period. I made that mistake when I first got into the business. A couple of old guys would bring in new tires, and I mounted them. They never as much as bought a spark plug from me. I finally said to myself, screw them, let them buy their own tire machine. And that's the point, you gotta pay for the tools somehow, tire machine ain't free.

What I did offer is free mount & balance of a new tire bought from me, if the customer brought in the rim. Had several takers on that deal.

Just a perspective from the shop side.

Jim

Comment

• confab
      • May 2019

My guess is: Amazon.

Which would be fine with me? I'd just up the price for mounting and balancing and do it anyway!

But here, there aren't many places that have a MC changer, anyway. And they never had the size or type you wanted in stock. (Last time they were close - They had a whitewall to fit it.) And their tire prices were totally outrageous to begin with.

I just got sick of dicking around with them, so I bought a bead breaker/hand changer and a balancer, and I do it myself.

Comment

• JBinNC
        • Dec 2018

My experience was before Amazon even existed, but there have been mail-order tire companies around forever.

And c, you have the right idea, tool up and do it yourself. That's how I got into this trouble to start with. 32 years & counting.

Jim

Comment

• confab
          • May 2019

Originally posted by JBinNC
          And c, you have the right idea, tool up and do it yourself. That's how I got into this trouble to start with. 32 years & counting.

Jim
          lol.. It's a sickness.

I'm looking at lathes and mills now..

And Farmall's container machine shop set up. (Which would actually work pretty good. Some of the containers even have side doors.)

Comment

• JBinNC
            • Dec 2018

Machine tools need concrete floors to do decent work. Six inches is a good minimum for a machine shop floor. My big ol' Tarnow lathe specifies 18" pillars for the headstock and way column (foot).

Jim

Comment

• 10scDust
              • Jan 2018

I did the same as Confab.
              Bought Weaver tire machine and balancer machine.
              Also purchased the adapters for motorcycle tires.
              I've changing tires by hand since a teen, started on split rims with a hand held tire wedge, anyway...
              Kept on spooning my own off & on, you get old, and the wrastlin' does too.
              I'm a happy camper and don't advertise myself out, but have helped out some close friends.
              Not everyone has the cash, or space to invest in them, I get it.

added edit: Mine are air powered, I built my own shop with a huge compressor within its own building (compressor house), I knew what all I wanted before retiring, tried to complete that goal, still no lathe though...
              Last edited by 10scDust; 08-27-2021, 6:13 PM.

Comment

• confab
                • May 2019

Totally out of room in my shop.. Literally nowhere to go with them, or I'd probably have bought both already.

FB is loaded with stuff right now.

Comment

• rockman96
                  • May 2018

You have to remember that shops get fined/charged/taxed/whatever you call it, to dispose of old tires. It's not exactly cheap, and its just one more thing they have to deal with on top of the other BS. It actually doesn't make any sense to do it, from a business standpoint, except if offered as a perk for business. It's a gray area even then, and I know tire sales wouldn't mean shit to me if'n I were a for-profit business.

Here's what you do... Buy a set of these, Ebay# 194202999067, Find yourself one fine-ass 64 yr old wife, and put 'em on with your own 250lb ass.

Seriously, at least you won't feel nearly as screwed after you do it yourself once (because they really aren't screwing you to begin with), and it will bring you and your wife closer. Family moments and all that good shit, ya know.

ETA: $25 for a mount/balance sounds like a fucking DEAL!!! Do it.
                  Last edited by rockman96; 08-27-2021, 8:35 PM.

Comment

• pan620
                    • Feb 2013

As a shop owner for 38 years I see it as taking a steak to a steak house and wanting them to cook it for you! Try it sometime and report back how it went, Thanks

Comment

• tzienlee
                      • Apr 2024

if ya trying to save money,. fit ya own tires, it is piss easy once you know how,
                      you do NOT need to force or struggle or break a sweat to get a bike tire on,
                      all you need are 3 x 18'' tire irons, an air pump. Nylon Rim Protectors & a ratchet strap (if ya have problems seating a tubeless) & some dish washing soap to ease it all on with or tire lube if you can get some,
                      if you get the tire bead in the center of the rim as you feed it on they as good as fit themselves, if ya struggle, ya doing it wrong,
                      I don't blame shops not wanting to fit a tire if ya didn't buy from them, they make fuck all out of it,
                      most shops I know don't charge to fit if you buy the tire from them unless the wheel is still in the bike, (some people can't even get their wheel off !!) plus they balance it for ya as well, so the cost does even it'self out,
                      if ya wanna save money by buying from a discount tire suppliers, ya really should learn to change them yaself
                      one place I know will not fit your tires unless they are a special that they cannot supply, like some of the big mud tyres I fit to my Land Rover but always by giving prior notice & get the thumbs up,
                      but bike tyres I fit myself, seems to be newbe's go to shops & us old fucks do them ourselves

Comment

• EVILBLACKSABRE
                        • Dec 2013

No problems here in San Diego.

For over a decade I brought just my wheels, and tires bought off the internet, to a dealership shop (Vey's Powersports). They charged me $25 to remove the old tire, mount the new one, and balance, while I wait (about 20 minutes). And never a complaint or a word said about me not buying a tire from them. I even brought my own valve stems bought off the internet.

And when I wanted a "rear" tire mounted on a front rim (same exact size) they did it without issue. All I had to do is sign a waiver. I'll also mention that I've never purchased a bike from them.

Then I moved (still in San Diego), and there is a small, independent bike repair shop literally right next door to my apartment complex. The guy who runs the place is super cool and very friendly. I've been taking my wheels to him for my last 2 tire changes. He charges $25 for the tire change/balance, $4 fee for disposing of the old tire (my choice, I can take the tire if I want), and I throw in an extra $5 as a gratuity just because I'm happy to have him so close and I want to do what I can to keep him in business.

Takes him about 20-30 minutes to do the job. I don't even have to sit around waiting. I just walk back to my appartment.

He has never said a word about where I buy my tires, and no waiver for mounting a rear tire on a front rim. And he appreciates the extra $5.

Cheap and easy tire changes, and great all-year riding weather. Life is good in San Diego.
                        Last edited by EVILBLACKSABRE; 08-28-2021, 10:32 AM.

Comment

• drivermark
                          • May 2015

Learn how to DIY. and 1) You'll never have to look for someone to do it for you cheaply, and
                          2) If you want you could be the guy charging to change tires.

A tire changing "station" makes all the difference in the world (for my gimpy ass anyway)

This article gives a pretty good description to "build" one. http://www.clarity.net/~adam/tire-changing.html
                          A bead breaking tool is very handy also but I just use a couple of C-clamps to break the bead.
                          One of those overpriced No-Mar or No-Scuff tools really makes it easy but some regular tire spoons work just fine.
                          Good luck either way you decide to go.

Comment

• rockman96
                            • May 2018

Originally posted by drivermark
                            A tire changing "station" makes all the difference in the world (for my gimpy ass anyway)
                            That's a good idea! A fellow could weld a 2.5" 'receiver' tube to the bench to accept a 2" mount welded to the wheel for easy break down when not in use.

Comment

• drivermark
                              • May 2015

I just mount mine to the top of my work table w/ some 5/8 all thread and a couple blocks of plywood and 5/8 nuts. I use the all thread and a couple more blocks and nuts to clamp down the wheel/tire combo to work on it.

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                              Working...
                              ;