CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search

Default Evo Cold Start Idle Issue

In the market for a donor bike and have been looking around. I went to check out a 99 fxst with 20k miles today and everything looked to be in really good condition. The only aftermarket parts were Vance & Hines exhaust (which ill be swapping) and a Screamin Eagle Stage 1 Carb. I asked the owner not to start it today so I can see a cold start. Checked the pipes/heads and bike was indeed cold when I got there. Upon starting up, the bike needed a few good revs and a little throttle for the first couple minutes otherwise it would die out on the slow idle. We didn't choke the bike as it is southern california. Once warmed up after maybe 4 minutes the bike sounded really good and idled smooth and consistent with no throttle input. I figured the carb was not quite tuned correctly and just needs to be adjusted to get a little more fuel in the mix in order not to die on cold idle. Maybe the carb just needs to be cleaned? While I know it is very difficult to diagnose via an internet forum, my question is this. Is this a pretty common thing for cold starting Evo's? Is it something that is a big red flag, or something that I should be able to tune out pretty easily? I can swoop the bike up for $5k, which seems like a steal given the condition, miles, year, and market right now. Any and all input is appreciated. (Also, hello Seaking, looking forward to your input haha).

That's the way carburetted motors work. A carb adjusted to idle at operating temperature should not idle when the motor is cold. That's what the choke or enrichener are for, to make the mixture richer when the motor is cold.

Jim

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

Sounds normal to me................

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by JBinNC View Post
    That's the way carburetted motors work. A carb adjusted to idle at operating temperature should not idle when the motor is cold. That's what the choke or enrichener are for, to make the mixture richer when the motor is cold.

Jim
    ^^^This is it!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Tattooo View Post
    There are MILLIONS of drivers out there who have never driven a carburetted vehicle (with the possible exception of a riding mower). Therefore I thought it was a fair question.

Jim

Get Adobe Flash player

There are MILLIONS of drivers out there who have never driven a carburetted vehicle (with the possible exception of a riding mower). Therefore I thought it was a fair question.

Jim
    I never said there wasn't,
    Where did I say it wasn't a legit question????????????? I was just helping and answering his question.......... I didn't see any reason to go at length when you just did.................

Should just one answer be enough???????????

It sounds normal to me.............
    Last edited by Tattooo; 08-25-2021 at 6:46 PM.

Get Adobe Flash player

That's the way carburetted motors work. Jim
    Since you said something about it, what's the difference in the two other than the words???????????? The meaning is exactly the same..........

Since you said something about it, what's the difference in the two other than the words???????????? The meaning is exactly the same..........
    I was agreeing with you.

Jim

Get Adobe Flash player

I was agreeing with you.

Jim
    Therefore I thought it was a fair question.

Jim
    Well cool.......... ^^^^^^^ I didn't understand the above.^^^^^^^^ It just sounded odd if you did,,,,,,,, That's fine..........
    Have a good one..........
    Last edited by Tattooo; 08-25-2021 at 7:34 PM.

Sugarcubes

Thats how mine is tuned. You should need a little choke to start the bike from cold and after a minute or so you push the choke back in and run the rpms slightly with the throttle. It will start much easier if I turn the mixture screw out another full turn and turn up the idle screw but then when the bike is fully warm it will run far too rich and idle far too high.

Get Adobe Flash player

We didn't choke the bike as it is southern california.

WTF!

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by 7and7is View Post
    We didn't choke the bike as it is southern california.

WTF!

You are a lucky man and it's obviously not a kick start bike..... LOL

Share This