Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Fetch
    • Sep 2017

Fine tuning a SU for a 1340 Shovelhead

Rebuilt a Rivera Eliminator II for my Shovel. Pretty happy with it, starts easy, runs well at all speeds.

Got a question regarding the available springs and piston dome noise ( is there a relationship?).

At idle the carb is pretty quiet, but when the rpms come up it ticks and sounds like an old fashion sewing machine.

Normal or do I need to make some adjustment?

Click image for larger version

Name:	20210814_120449-1.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	301.8 KB
ID:	1346911
  • Hoghead
    • Jun 2015

What damper oil do you use? Here in the UK most run 20wt (in car applications), but I hear Rivera recommend WD40. I've seen a few posts claiming carb noise as a consequence of this.
    Last edited by Hoghead; 08-26-2021, 3:46 PM.

Comment

• Fetch
      • Sep 2017

I've been using WD40. Any chance you can direct me to those posts? Been searching for a few days and have not found much on SU Carb. noise.

Comment

• ncmc47
        • Oct 2012

Way back when. I used 3in1 oil in the dash pots of my MG.

Comment

• rockman96
          • May 2018

I've always just used WD40... If you use an actual oil don't use too much, you can affect the damping action of the piston.

You'll love the SU on your motor, they're great carbs! And the noise is pretty normal.

Comment

• Fetch
            • Sep 2017

Originally posted by rockman96
            I've always just used WD40... If you use an actual oil don't use too much, you can affect the damping action of the piston.
            I think your right. I watched an hour long video on tuning SU's last night. He spent a good bit of time on oil weights and dampening effects. Apparently I have a condition known as a "dancing slide"

And your right, the SU seems perfect for a Shovelhead. Just need to get past this final issue.

Comment

• Hoghead
              • Jun 2015

Originally posted by Fetch
              I've been using WD40. Any chance you can direct me to those posts? Been searching for a few days and have not found much on SU Carb. noise.
              Tada!

Comment

• Fetch
                • Sep 2017

Thanks Hoghead, 2 threads I had not seen before. Lots of contradictory information but gleaned some important info.. This is what I've learned to be SU Truth,

A dancing piston (slide) is corrected via the Dampner, through oil viscosity and volume.

In the case of the Rivera Eliminators, that oil is WD40 and it requires a certain volume which varies according engine's displacement and cam duration.

Mine requires the tube to be filled to about an inch above the base. At that point the slide "dances" a slight bit at idle but immediately smooths out as the rpms rise.

I've entered a new phase of "I love my old shovel"

It's like I've entered into a new realm of mechanical wizardry!

Comment

• Hubbard
                  • Dec 2010

If you ever need parts try Moss motors. This carb or some version of it came on practically everything that burned gas in england. Rolls Royce, MG, Triumph cars,etc.

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                  Working...
                  ;