Mobile ad top forum

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JBinNC
    • Dec 2018

Thanks for this thread. You have an unusual problem, and it is interesting enough to divert my attention from all the bad news of the day.

Jim

Comment

• Cuddles
      • Feb 2019

Glad I could help somebody in some way. We could all use a distraction from time to time.

So - if the path in the lifter blocks is still open, would there be too little resistance to flow to force the oil upwards? How does it get blocked off? Gasket?

Comment

• JBinNC
        • Dec 2018

No, there is of course an oil hole in the gasket. You can tap the oil feed hole in each tappet block 8-32 by about 4 threads deep, and install an 8-32 Ă— 1/4 set screw in each block. (Or is it 8-32 Ă— 3/16, I don't remember, anyway a short set screw.) You could do the same thing in the case IF the motor were apart, but don't do it to an assembled motor because of the chips (swarf). You could do this easily yourself, just cost you a tap, 2 set screws, and 2 gaskets.

Jim

Comment

• Cuddles
          • Feb 2019

Found it. I blew air in the top end oil port. It wouldn’t go anywhere. I removed the lifter blocks. Air went from the oil port to both lifter blocks with no restrictions. I ended up pulling the cam cover off and feeding a very thin wire in the hole that lines up with the tapper screen and the top end port. There was a chunk of what looks like rtv in there. I poked at it and blew air backwards until it flew out. Now, I have plenty of oil going up. It flew across the garage never to be seen again.

Thank you to everyone that helped me.

Comment

• confab
            • May 2019

woot!

Comment

• JBinNC
              • Dec 2018

Good! And good on you to catch this problem when you did.

The people who built this motor are apparently morons, because something like that should not have escaped their attention.

Did you check that the tappet block oil feeds were plugged when you had them off?

AND, RTV can be used SPARINGLY on H-D motors, but this is an example of the trouble it can cause.

Jim

Comment

• Cuddles
                • Feb 2019

They are not blocked off. Will leaving them that way cause a problem?

Comment

• JBinNC
                  • Dec 2018

Originally posted by Cuddles
                  They are not blocked off. Will leaving them that way cause a problem?
                  Answered in post #43.

Jim

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                  Working...
                  ;