Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • confab
    • May 2019

PS: Another example...

“We Have Won!!” – Fort Hood Shooter and Islamic Terrorist Nidal Hasan Congratulates Taliban From Fort Leavenworth Prison
    This is a man with everything America (And by extension, the West) has to offer extended to him, and it is meaningless.

He does not care.

It is not particularly important to him.

Comment

• flatman
      • Sep 2017

TE Lawrence is Lawrence of Arabia. Owned 4 or 5 differrent Broughs

Comment

• DoomBuggy
        • Oct 2016

Originally posted by Fetch
        DoomBuggy is right on. I spent some time in Palestine and Jerusalem and what struck me most was , aside from the urban elite, their sense of time and ancestry is so much larger(broader ?) then our western perspective.
        I am envious of that trip, it is one of the only places left that I would leave North America to visit.

Comment

• farmall
          • Apr 2013

They stayed because most humans are stupid. Anyone not stupid who could have left would have gone instantly and stayed gone. Most who stayed were only technically Americans (an expat or dual citizen with a US passport whose first concern is the shithole they should have abandoned has the thinnest connection to the US).

The story of the Afghan wars and how idiotic messianic ignorant mindless proud vain hubristic careerist American generals, politicians and diplomats relentlessly make grotesquely bad choices regarding messianic constabulary operations in unimportant backwaters is long and complex, but quite interesting. Repetition of every fuckup made in Southeast Asia (not accidentally long after the last veterans of that national mistake retired) is instructive. There is no right way to execute a fundamentally wrong strategy. Military overmatch does not beat classical Maoist-style movements willing to fight forever, especially in regions which NEVER identified as what fuckwit Western leaders call a "country" but which are merely lines on a map.

BTW T.E. Lawrence rightly mentioned his experience only applied to Bedu so trying to export that beyond their local culture and his specific situation vs. the Ottoman Empire (a weak nation-state, not a robust non-state of many tribes) would not work either.

NeoCons devoted minimal resources to A-stan because they wanted to invade Iraq first but could not pull off the excuse. Of course that Pyrrhic victory was a bloody wasteful disaster too.

No careers will be harmed and we'll do it again. A-stan is nothing compared to Viet Nam and will be ignored sooner, the veterans forgotten except by their military brothers and sisters and a few friends. These outcomes were and are completely predictable. Not many kids grow up reading Bernard Fall but I was one of them, and history plus the many still-young Nam vets around me are why I joined the Air Force instead of services whose valor I knew would be squandered by historically incompetent leadership. Americans win nation-state wars because those suit our culture. Americans lose complex constabulary wars because our culture and people are inherently unsuited to producing a leadership class and military able to make the correct choices in the first fucking place, like staying the fuck home and using other less blunt instruments which don't play into opponent hands.

Nothing will be learnt because our public are proudly ignorant and proud ignorants produce a proudly ignorant leadership class while ignoring and sidelining reformers. It's so bad our military cannot manage its own procurement, permits training and discipline to rot, and most importantly does not police incompetent senior leadership not least because an idiot public hallucinates "supporting the troops" means letting them do whatever they want. Civic duty in a democratic republic includes not wasting our young men and women for less than nothing.

Worse, we may well lose a nation-state war by making even worse choices like thinking the Chinese (who fought us to a draw in Korea despite the FEAF running out of targets to bomb...) will never be capable of defeating us in their home court.

The British Empire spanned the world in 1914 and pretty much evaporated by the 1960s. A man born in 1880 could have seen it all. US power is not more permanent.

Comment

• confab
            • May 2019

like thinking the Chinese (who fought us to a draw in Korea despite the FEAF running out of targets to bomb...) will never be capable of defeating us in their home court.
            They did pretty well in Afgahinistan. They wanted the mineral wealth and they got it on the cheap.

They wined and dined the Taliban like legitimate foreign dignitaries. Literally flew them in and received them. Bought goat skins from them, because they didn't have much else to trade, and built a rapport with them.

It worked! They're sitting good.

But I think part of the reason it worked is the American establishment class loves war (Particularly the aftercare "nation building" part) and insinuating themselves into it. They like it because the costs are socialized, but the profits are not.

Comment

• confab
              • May 2019

PS: India is very, very concerned about these developments, btw.

Comment

• datadavid
                • Oct 2014

Judging by the afghan migrants we get here, they are just about intelligent enough to walk and breathe at the same time. What did you expect?

Comment

• Hoghead
                  • Jun 2015

We had a bright one, an interpreter. Came here and did the same gig for the cops in my home city. Was stabbed to death by his countrymen in my G.F.'s neighbourhood. Shit foreign policy, the gift that keeps on giving.

Comment

• confab
                    • May 2019

I hate to be "that guy" and sound like this.. But, I really don't know if democratic processes are desirable in Islamic societies?

For the sake of women, children, Christians and other religious minorities who may be present.. As well as concerns about terrorism and its spread.. I'm to the point and I've seen so much of this, I think I prefer a strong, secular, regime to keep Islamic radicals underfoot.

I hate to say it. I hate to think it. But the turning point was "Arab Spring" when the whole world cheered a fucking military coup in Egypt because it was BETTER than a democratic process. And I cheered it too.

Sorry.. Not Sorry.

Last night, I saw more women they whipped in Afghanistan.. One had her arms and ribs broken as a result.

Fuck it. Some people don't deserve freedom.

Comment

• datadavid
                      • Oct 2014

Originally posted by Hoghead
                      We had a bright one, an interpreter. Came here and did the same gig for the cops in my home city. Was stabbed to death by his countrymen in my G.F.'s neighbourhood. Shit foreign policy, the gift that keeps on giving.
                      Yeah, thats why they don't have too many bright ones. They get stabbed. I dont tolerate afghans since they put a bullet through the back of the head of a swedish foreign correspondent in kabul, or a knife in the neck on a swedish police officer in stockholm. Even the established criminal gangs are afraid of these guys that come here claiming they are children, their tactic is ambush and put a few rounds in the back and head of their victims then flee. They pretty much control the the heroin trade in big parts of sweden nowadays. I want every single one of them sent back to that shithole they came from, we don't have to host this shit.

Comment

• Hoghead
                        • Jun 2015

Originally posted by datadavid
                        Yeah, thats why they don't have too many bright ones. They get stabbed. I dont tolerate afghans since they put a bullet through the back of the head of a swedish foreign correspondent in kabul, or a knife in the neck on a swedish police officer in stockholm. Even the established criminal gangs are afraid of these guys that come here claiming they are children, their tactic is ambush and put a few rounds in the back and head of their victims then flee. They pretty much control the the heroin trade in big parts of sweden nowadays. I want every single one of them sent back to that shithole they came from, we don't have to host this shit.
                        They get cocky real fast. Successive 'crews' of new immigrants have changed the criminal landscape of the UK. I freaked when I heard some of the shit that's gone down recently in Sweden. The spate of bombings was unreal.
                        Know what's bought peace to our hood? . Gurkhas have moved in. Loads serving at three local Army bases. Even the craziest fuckers seem to fear them.

Comment

• datadavid
                          • Oct 2014

Originally posted by Hoghead
                          They get cocky real fast. Successive 'crews' of new immigrants have changed the criminal landscape of the UK. I freaked when I heard some of the shit that's gone down recently in Sweden. The spate of bombings was unreal.
                          Know what's bought peace to our hood? . Gurkhas have moved in. Loads serving at three local Army bases. Even the craziest fuckers seem to fear them.
                          We would be totally alright dealing with this crap ourselves if our laws weren't especially protective of these vermin. Cant even touch them without getting thrown in jail, and organizing local militia or vigilante groups is a good way of throwing life away and getting locked up for good. Nothing more dangerous in Sweden than concerned law abiding swedes wanting the slightest bit of security.

Comment

• farmall
                            • Apr 2013

Their combat record speaks volumes and the UK owes them big time.

When Argentinian troops invaded the Falkland Islands on 2nd April 1982 the British Government, after the initial shock, were quick to react and assembled

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                            Working...
                            ;