Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Taker73044
    • Apr 2019

1980 FXB Sturgis.

I just picked up a 1980 fxb Sturgis. I do not have an understanding of why somebody would do this to such a rare bike. So far the only original parts I do have is the chassis, engine, transmission, inner and outer primary cover, gas tank, and sissy bar. I am looking forward to doing the restoration but not looking forward to finding the parts.

So far it looks like a hunting for the original exhaust setup is out the window due to limited build these bikes. Original 9 spoke wheels with the orange stripe maybe another thing that's out the window. But figured I would post my find that I recently picked up for dirt cheap. If anybody does have any ideas on where to look the parts I'm open to it.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20210817_204700.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	306.0 KB
ID:	1346902
  • KELD
    • Sep 2012

Wow.

Comment

• SaddleTramp98
      • Apr 2020

They really ran that one into the ground. Hopefully you're restoration goes good. I remember looking through my uncle's motorcycle magazines and seeing a FXB Sturgis in there and I've liked them ever since then.

Comment

• seaking
        • Jul 2013

Believe it or not, I DO see a lot of sturgis parts on fb marketplace in chicago area. Check out some swap meets too, you'd be surprised what you find.

Comment

• Taker73044
          • Apr 2019

I have been looking parts problem is there were only a little over 6000 of these bikes made from 1980 to 1982. I have found a front wheel on ebay and a reproduction rear fender on Dennis kirk. Need to find some superglide triple trees but that is easy. I have found that some of the FXE parts will fit.

I will post pics when it is done.
          Last edited by Taker73044; 08-19-2021, 8:26 PM.

Comment

• Tattooo
            • Sep 2012

Did a Sturgis come with 5 gal tanks? I thought they were 3 1/2 I will have to check to be sure. You can restore it, it just takes time. That's no worst than what I started with. This is my 15,000 mile 1979 FXS before and after. At least I did have a lot of the hard to find parts with it.
            Attached Files
            Last edited by Tattooo; 08-20-2021, 7:16 AM.

Comment

• confab
              • May 2019

I do see those parts with some regularity..

IG, FB marketplace and groups, and Ebay.. And a lot of patience.

Swap meets are a mixed bag and will require a lot of time, but you can score the best deals there.

AMCA meets are some of the best.

Another option might be one of the zillions of junky harleys with no title. Seen a few Sturgis like that and it really drops the price.

Good Luck!

Comment

• KELD
                • Sep 2012

Take some heart mate. Look at this piece of shit I started with.
                Click image for larger version

Name:	KD FXE BEF and AFR~3.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	22.4 KB
ID:	1319568

Comment

• Tattooo
                  • Sep 2012

Very nice build..^^^^^^^^^ All it takes is time and money..................

Comment

• Taker73044
                    • Apr 2019

Originally posted by Tattooo
                    Did a Sturgis come with 5 gal tanks? I thought they were 3 1/2 I will have to check to be sure. You can restore it, it just takes time. That's no worst than what I started with. This is my 15,000 mile 1979 FXS before and after. At least I did have a lot of the hard to find parts with it.
                    Damn it looks good now. I am doing good so far finding parts. Most of the part will come from other bikes but the same as a Sturgis. I will probably have to get some regular 9 spoke wheels and do the orange stripe myself. I found everything I need so far.

Comment

• Taker73044
                      • Apr 2019

Originally posted by confab
                      I do see those parts with some regularity..

IG, FB marketplace and groups, and Ebay.. And a lot of patience.

Swap meets are a mixed bag and will require a lot of time, but you can score the best deals there.

AMCA meets are some of the best.

Another option might be one of the zillions of junky harleys with no title. Seen a few Sturgis like that and it really drops the price.

Good Luck!
                      I have found most of the part I need fit other FX bike such as fenders

Comment

• Taker73044
                        • Apr 2019

Originally posted by Tattooo
                        Very nice build..^^^^^^^^^ All it takes is time and money..................
                        Agreed

Comment

• Taker73044
                          • Apr 2019

Originally posted by KELD
                          Take some heart mate. Look at this piece of shit I started with.
                          [ATTACH=CONFIG]104874[/ATTACH]
                          Nice looks like you brought life back into it. I am working it slowly I have all winter.

Comment

• Taker73044
                            • Apr 2019

Ok doing some work on motor and found some interesting shit. I think it may have been stroked at some point or something. Lol Don't make sense but it runs. Lol

Truett and Osborne flywheels 56 4 1/4 stroke for a 74ci
                            Jims sprocket shaft 24001-70 for 74 ci
                            74ci jugs bored .030
                            Original numbers matching case for the fxb

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                            Working...
                            ;