CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

Default Bent distributor removal shovel head

My buddy recently acquired a shovel head. If I remember right itís a 69(might b wrong). S&S motor built by a reputable local Indy shop.
    I believe it was built for my buddyís tatto guy and he later ended up selling it to the homie.
    Long story short...after a few rides it made an noise and died on the interstate. He got it home and pulled it apart to find this destruction. Looks like the bolt holding the drive gear back off. It Fernandez and bent the shaft in the process.
    Looks tome like the only option is to cut it off above the bulk of the bend. Itís not to my place yet as he just had a kid yesterday, so might be a few till we get started.
    Anyone have experience removing a bent one? Any insights would be appreciated!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	288E6401-4B9F-48FC-ABA4-E5C81A0E7393.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	171.5 KB 
ID:	104873

Name:	E34D94FA-A9ED-4060-8265-294B23C19EB3.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	60.7 KB 
ID:	104874

Name:	F6399517-8579-4DE9-A0D9-12E870959D07.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	88.8 KB 
ID:	104875

Get Adobe Flash player

Damn, Yea it looks like your might have to cut it off....... But first I would take the gear off and see if it might come out that way.......

Can you tell what came loose and got in between the gears???????

I'll bet he has more than just a bent timer and broken teeth.............. Oil pump, idler shaft etc??????????????
    Last edited by Tattooo; 07-14-2020 at 9:22 AM.

Get Adobe Flash player

I've been down this road myself - cut the shaft as close to the case as you can. The circuit breaker can't be saved - it's toast. Concentrate on not fucking up the circuit breaker shaft through-hole or cracking the case.

In my case it was a bent magneto drive - it really hurt to destroy the magneto drive - but there are no good options other than cutting off the bent part. If you egg out or crack the case by trying to remove a bent drive assy you are looking at a much more expensive repair.

Definitely looks like you are going to have to cut it off. You must figure out what caused that to happen.If I recall correctly that nut is reverse threaded to prevent the nut from coming loose. As tattoo said check oil pump for shavings along with entire cam chest. Good luck.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by Tattooo View Post
    Damn, Yea it looks like your might have to cut it off....... But first I would take the gear off and see if it might come out that way.......

Can you tell what came loose and got in between the gears???????

I'll bet he has more than just a bent timer and broken teeth.............. Oil pump, idler shaft etc??????????????
    The nut that holds the larger gear to the shaft backed off. It allowed the gear to walk out in the shaft. I haven’t seen it in person yet. Only these pics.
    To me it looks like it walked out enough to mess with the alignment causing it. He’s supposed to bring it up soon as he can(had a baby yesterday so might be a few). I’ll kno more when I can do some investigation!

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by 69Glide View Post
    I've been down this road myself - cut the shaft as close to the case as you can. The circuit breaker can't be saved - it's toast. Concentrate on not fucking up the circuit breaker shaft through-hole or cracking the case.

In my case it was a bent magneto drive - it really hurt to destroy the magneto drive - but there are no good options other than cutting off the bent part. If you egg out or crack the case by trying to remove a bent drive assy you are looking at a much more expensive repair.

For sure on keeping the hole the same size. It looks like the bulk of the bend is further down and can be cut off. At lest I hope!

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by Whoremonger View Post
    Good luck.
    Thanks!

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by KG View Post
    Thanks!
    Why not at least try and take the gear off and just see?????? It's nothing but a pin holding it on.......... To start with cutting off the shaft is a lazy mans way out......

Plus you will end up with shavings all in you cam cavity............

But it's your call.....

I would say that removing the gear and trying to force it out is the lazy mans way out. If you Try to force it out with a bend in it , there is a good chance you are going to cause damage to the case and or bore as was mentioned by 69 GLIDE.That is a close fit between the shaft and the bore. That shaft should come out effortlessly under normal circumstances.

Get Adobe Flash player

I would say that removing the gear and trying to force it out is the lazy mans way out. If you Try to force it out with a bend in it , there is a good chance you are going to cause damage to the case and or bore as was mentioned by 69 GLIDE.That is a close fit between the shaft and the bore. That shaft should come out effortlessly under normal circumstances.
    Agreed!

He said it slides out a little bit before binding. Looks like it might be free to the bend(bout 1/2 way down shaft). He also mentioned he thinks it’s the washer that jammed the gears up. It’s all broke up in the pic of big gear.

Get Adobe Flash player

If the shaft won't withdraw easily then the bend, not the gear, is the problem but the gear needs to go anyway so the guts and internal shaft can be removed prior to cutting the shaft before the bend.

If I cut the shaft to remove it the main concern would be protecting the cases since they're the most valuable part of the bike. I would prick punch the center of the shaft, center punch the prick punch hole then use a long machinist's "center drill" bit (twist drills "walk" and they really walk on round stock) to start the hole for the final bit. Drill a practice hole on scrap if you've never drilled round stock before. I'd go in deep (preferably until the hole is through the shaft) with the center drill bit which both drills a pilot hole and countersinks to guide the next bit which would be the same OD as the shaft. (I use cobalt alloy bits and buy the sizes I need instead of buying a drill index full of bits I don't use.) I would drill the final hole very carefully until the cutoff section separates, then make sure there are zero burrs on the remaining shaft. If there are burrs I'd loop emery cloth (or sandpaper with a piece of nylon strapping tape backing which works very well to prevent paper snapping) around the shaft and sand them down. I'd have painters tape or similar covering any holes since engines hate grit and I'd lay a magnet in the cavity to catch steel swarf.

Bottom line is the job looks simple but that engine is far too much money to fuck up by getting in a hurry and if I were in doubt about chips or grit getting inside I'd take it apart in a heartbeat. If the owner decides to tear it down you could place the right case on a milling machine then safely mill straight through the shaft.

What's the best way to remove an idler shaft without wallowing the hole? I've never had to pull one.

Get Adobe Flash player

I would say that removing the gear and trying to force it out is the lazy mans way out .
    Did I say try and force it out?????????? If so where did I say that?????????
    Last edited by Tattooo; 07-14-2020 at 5:07 PM.

Get Adobe Flash player

If the shaft won't withdraw easily then the bend, not the gear, is the problem but the gear needs to go anyway so the guts and internal shaft can be removed prior to cutting the shaft before the bend.

Yep, Hell farm these guys know it all let them figure it out...............

Get Adobe Flash player

He said it slides out a little bit before binding. Looks like it might be free to the bend(bout 1/2 way down shaft). He also mentioned he thinks it’s the washer that jammed the gears up. It’s all broke up in the pic of big gear.
    LOL He thinks, he thinks...... LOL

That says it all.....

Best of luck.............

Did I say try and force it out?????????? If so where did I say that?????????
    How else would you take a bent shaft out other than cutting it,without forcing it out ? What’s the next step after removing the gear as you suggest?
    Last edited by Whoremonger; 07-14-2020 at 6:07 PM.

Get Adobe Flash player

How else would you take a bent shaft out other than cutting it,without forcing it out ? What’s the next step after removing the gear as you suggest?
    Your so smart you tell me??????????? I know the answer.......You haven't even thought through my reasoning for removing the gear.......... I'm done helping here............ You geniuses figure it out........

I cant tell you because i know no other way.

Get Adobe Flash player

Think about it...
    The outer shaft is bent and it had no contact with the larger gear nor anything but the inner shaft. It is only bent because the inner shaft bent it! I understand your logic but it’s not what’s hanging up.

Get Adobe Flash player

Think about it...
    The outer shaft is bent and it had no contact with the larger gear nor anything but the inner shaft. It is only bent because the inner shaft bent it! I understand your logic but it’s not what’s hanging up.
    What ever you want to think....... Your the boss......

My question to you is have you actually tried to remove it or is it all just speculation???????

Go ahead and cut it off without trying anything else it's only metal shavings...........

I will say this, The timer itself is very soft but the shaft is very hard........... Think about it....... I'm not going to tell you how to remove it....

Best of luck............ It's all on you now how you proceed from here...........

Get Adobe Flash player

What ever you want to think....... Your the boss......

My question to you is have you actually tried to remove it or is it all just speculation???????

Go ahead and cut it off without trying anything else it's only metal shavings...........

I will say this, The timer itself is very soft but the shaft is very hard........... Think about it....... I'm not going to tell you how to remove it....

Best of luck............ It's all on you now how you proceed from here...........
    U seam easily triggered! Thanks for ur advice...think I’m done here for now!

Share This