Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 53hemi
    • Jan 2012

Shovelhead mids conversion

I just picked up an '82 FXS lowrider. The fwd controls on it are roached. I bought a set of shovelhead mids on ebay yesterday; I'm waiting for them (and a new manual) to arrive.

I guess right now my question is does it look like I'm missing any parts? And I can use my existing master cylinder?

Can any of y'all post up some pics of your setups?

Thanks!Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20210822-132405_eBay.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	293.1 KB
ID:	1346907
  • Tattooo
    • Sep 2012

What master cylinder do you have and where is it located???????

Comment

• 53hemi
      • Jan 2012

Originally posted by Tattooo
      What master cylinder do you have and where is it located???????
      I've got this generic looking thing.Click image for larger version

Name:	20210822_211313.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	305.7 KB
ID:	1319587

Comment

• confab
        • May 2019

The shape and mounting is very similar to the one on my 80, which came with mids.

I bet it will work.

Comment

• 53hemi
          • Jan 2012

Originally posted by confab
          The shape and mounting is very similar to the one on my 80, which came with mids.

I bet it will work.
          Could you post a few pics of how your are set up, please?

Comment

• confab
            • May 2019

It has forwards, now. But it was originally mounted back on the frame, the rear of the peg I believe.

I used the same MC for the forwards. Kelsey-Hayes style.

Looks just like this:

Find the V-Factor Chrome Rear Brake Kelsey Hayes Master Cylinder at Dennis Kirk. Shop our complete selection of Harley-Davidson Motorcycle parts and accessories including the V-Factor Chrome Rear Brake Kelsey Hayes Master Cylinder.

Comment

• confab
              • May 2019

PS: I don't see a rod to run from the shifter to the transmission.

There should be a hole in the inner primary for the shifter pedal shaft to run through. There are bushings and a seal for that shaft. They're probably shot and the hole was plugged somehow.

You might want to look into those items.

Comment

• confab
                • May 2019

PPS: If you download the FX parts catalog (google Carl Salter manuals) there's exploded diagrams for you there with part numbers.

Comment

• Tattooo
                  • Sep 2012

Originally posted by 53hemi
                  I've got this generic looking thing.[ATTACH=CONFIG]104895[/ATTACH]
                  It will need to be rebuilt by the looks of it. It might fit in it's new location but I'd bet it will be a little tight since there isn't as much room.......... But mock it up for fit before you rebuild it.........

That setup your working on is what I have and it came with my 79 FXS I restored...........
                  Attached Files

Comment

• MOTher
                    • Sep 2012

There are 2 versions of the bracket that bolts the master cylinder to the frame, one for '71-e'79 (4299-72) which uses the cast iron Wagner-Lockheed m/c and one for the late '79 and later (42299-79) which takes the aluminum Kelsey-Hayes master cylinder. The bolt pattern is different on the two. The master that you have has the later KH bolt pattern. Do you know what year the mids you bought came from? If not, you can slip some bolts through where it bolts to the frame and see if your bolt holes line up and the m/c sits level. If not, you need the other bracket, or the other m/c.

Comment

• Tattooo
                      • Sep 2012

Originally posted by MOTher
                      There are 2 versions of the bracket that bolts the master cylinder to the frame, one for '71-e'79 (4299-72) which uses the cast iron Wagner-Lockheed m/c and one for the late '79 and later (42299-79) which takes the aluminum Kelsey-Hayes master cylinder. The bolt pattern is different on the two. The master that you have has the later KH bolt pattern. Do you know what year the mids you bought came from? If not, you can slip some bolts through where it bolts to the frame and see if your bolt holes line up and the m/c sits level. If not, you need the other bracket, or the other m/c.
                      Yes sir exactly..... That's why you need to mock it up just to be sure.............

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                      Working...
                      ;