• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jdmboyd
    • Apr 2018

Update on N1 shift drum and spring seat

Hey folks,

Hope everyone's doing well.

It's been a while since I posted here. Had to redo my p/w today but the real reason is I can no longer access the site using my work laptop because the site's trying to push out some sort of tracker or other s/w that company IT doesn't like. So, a month of Co travel cut me off, but back now on my machine.

Anyway, on to the good news re my '80 FLH:

- The Baker N1 shift drum I put into that ratchet top is an absolute luxury. Finding neutral has never been easier at any speed, including dead stopped. Shifting in all gears is easier than the cowpie, but that's likely due to the trans and maybe the extra time I spent aligning the shift ears and not the new drum. If anyone's considering this mod I can attest it no bushit really works.

- Next, riding's a lot more comfy on my ass since I installed a string seat. Probably not as cush as a solo pogo but miles better than the La Pera that looked great but had me sitting on steel within 5 min. Had to spend some time figuring out the springs; 3" had the right clearance, but felt too tilted forward, like it was trying to dump me on the tanks. The 2" springs feel right but I sometime bottom out on the rear fender (uh, maybe fat buoy could stand to lose 20 lbs...).

I'll try to post some pix this weekend, but I've got to get them off the work laptop, they've locked it down pretty hard, won't allow transfer to another drive that isn't bitlockered.

Finally, in my travels in W. TX I got a chance to ride a guy's '02 Heritage. He said there were/are two different 88's out there, either internally balanced/counterweighted and rubber mounted. I forget which he had, but remember he had installed some German stroker kit(?) that brought it up to 98"; very smooth and strong compared to my 80" shovel. May need to consider some extra cubes this winter (and there it is, I'm doomed...).

John
  • 7and7is
    • Dec 2012

Coil springs or scissor springs, the scissor springs tend not to bottom as easy.

Comment

• jdmboyd
      • Apr 2018

These are coil springs; don't think the scissor types would fit w/o hitting the top of the fender.

Spent some time noodling with the spring seat set-up. Wanted separate spring seats w/o a bar running between them. Once the lower mounts I ordered got here I found out the spacing, when bolted to the top shock stud, didn't work; the springs would either be splayed out or in. Wound up cutting the spring mounts in half, then getting them welded and powder coated. The spring attachment detail with the washer, tube and hitch pin worked with the 3" springs shown, that I didn't use. The 2" springs don't have as much side clearance, so only the hitch pin's used now.

I'll try to get some pix off the work computer later.

John

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00367.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	293.5 KB
ID:	1319576

Name:	DSC00372.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	297.4 KB
ID:	1319577