CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search
Page 3 of 3 First 123

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

Could you just have a wrecker with a tilt bed pick it up and take it to your shop? Let it back down easy and come along it where you want it. Never underestimate the power of 3-4 pcs. of pipe for rollers. Old fork tubes are great,,,,,,,,,,if ya got em

Get Adobe Flash player

A lot of the affordable lathes I see in my "entry level" category are the South Bend, Craftsman/Atlas, Logan, etc..

It looks like they could be disassembled and moved that way pretty easily.

It would take a buddy and a pickup truck, but it doesn't look undooable.

A 9x13 turns into a 9x10ish when you actually go to do anything with it and have the tailstock loaded. Size wise, that's in mini-lathe territory.

You can get those cheap new, and even cheaper used. They run on 110 and the tooling and everything else is cheap. A couple hundred bucks at auction or on FB and you can carry them away by yourself.

They are maligned by real machinists, of course. But I really like mine and I've made some pretty cool things with it for the bike. They do threading (Not always english with the supplied gears, so watch for that) and have some cool features, like variable speed and power feed.

It isn't ideal, because anything less than a full blown machine shop isn't ideal. But if that's the budget? That's the budget. And the only lathe worse than a china lathe or an old lathe with some wear, is no lathe at all.

Nothing on a Harley is big. It's small bullshit like brake spacers and axle adapters and shit like that and almost anything will make useful motorcycle parts.

If you have a lathe of any type, you're going to love it. You're going to wonder how you did all this shit with a grinder and a drill before, and why anyone bothers.

Get Adobe Flash player

I've got a craftsman 48in bed and it's fine, it doesn't work fast, but having the longer bed means that I can run a steady rest and set up an axle for turning. Most of the time I end up using the majority of the bed length.

I paid $900 and should've waited because I know of a clausing tool room lathe that's going for $900 that's on casters and a stand and has auto feed/thread. Like I said check tool and die shops.

Get Adobe Flash player

Well go get the damn thing, ain't no such thing as too many lathes. The atlas/craftsman ain't the most accurate thing you'll ever meet but I've built several scooters and a shit load of tooling on it.I made all my case and transmission laps on mine and a bushell basket full of risers. Ask Burt Monroe what one will do. He built the worlds fastest Indian on one albeit had to replace the lead screw 3 times.

Get Adobe Flash player

If anybody here has a copy of the harley davidson and indian wars, on page 140 there is a pic of E.Paul Dupont making gears on a belt drive South Bend lathe thats pretty cool. I don't have a camera or I'd post it.

Get Adobe Flash player

You might also give the "proxybid" (and similar) auction site(s) a look.. There's some cool stuff there, and a bunch of it goes cheap.

I just saw a 9x20 Enco go for $120 there a few days ago.. It was a steal.

Familiarize yourself with auction bullshit before you bid (Buyers premiums, and loadout times. Qualifications to bid on various lots can be different, so be sure to stop and read them. If you have a question? Email them. They're happy to help noobies.) but, if you want cheap? Keep an eye out on the auction sites.

OMZ.. It's like a giant yard sale, except with no romance novels and baby clothes.
    Last edited by confab; 09-11-2021 at 11:37 AM.

Share This