CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Default Sportster battery help

I'm building a chop with a 79 Sportster engine it's on a paughco rigid frame and am looking for a good battery and something small. I'm having trouble finding 1 any suggestions would be much appreciated

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by Ironman79 View Post
    I'm building a chop with a 79 Sportster engine it's on a paughco rigid frame and am looking for a good battery and something small. I'm having trouble finding 1 any suggestions would be much appreciated
    Measure how much room you have........ Go to Batteries Plus or somewhere like that and get the biggest and best battery that they have....

Without any more info from you than you gave, that's the best help I can suggest........

Get Adobe Flash player

Are you using an electric starter or not?
    Where do you plan to mount the battery?
    Did you look at lowbrows site and their battery selection?

Get Adobe Flash player

I built a box for mine (late 84 sporty paughco rigid ) i ended up building a box on the lower rails behind the seat post and used a dyna battery. I didnt want to go with a smaller battery.

Il look at lowbrows site I went to batteries plus today and they weren't much help they just just wanted to sell me a stock battery. What I really need to know is what cca I need and how many ah do I need

Has any one had any luck with a lithium ion battery
    Last edited by Ironman79; 07-11-2020 at 6:27 PM.

I'm running electric start

I've been running this Ballistic battery now for six or seven years!
    My bike is an XLCH with magneto locked down at full advance, not easy to start at all.
    When this one dies I will get another one for sure. When you look at the years vs. the price it's a no brainer, and it weighs something like five pounds.
    It's a paughco frame also.
    Look down by the kickstand.
    KB)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_1659.jpg  

Thanks for the pic and info that frame looks similar to mine and how I want to mount my battery. Do you have any dimensions for your battery or specs I definitely want to buy one

I'm not near the bike for a while, i don't remember offhand.
    It's in a little sheetmetal box with a floor and three sides. It sits on a piece of 1/4" neoprene foam and is held down with a handcuff size cable tie. My bike has a dyna style starter.
    A wild thing about the battery is when it's cold out and you start to crank it it seems weak at first, but if you wait a minute or so after trying the heat buildup from the first attempt makes it stronger and it fires right up on the next try. I can't tell you how many times I thought it must have finally given up and then it cranked right up a minute later.
    I would just google Ballistic batteries and check out the sizes available now, they've probably gotten smaller. I actually purchased it in 2012!

Get Adobe Flash player

Il look at lowbrows site I went to batteries plus today and they weren't much help they just just wanted to sell me a stock battery. What I really need to know is what cca I need and how many ah do I need
    Way more info needed......

Get Adobe Flash player

Around 7ah I think but I could be wrong
    check out the anti gravity batteries people seems to like those
    Or just use the kicker and get a little one
    Batteries plus aren't chopper guys they don't know things like that you gotta do some research then go look at the shelves
    Last edited by Nobodyknowsimashithead; 07-11-2020 at 8:51 PM.

Thanks everyone for the help.

Get Adobe Flash player

Thanks for the pic and info that frame looks similar to mine and how I want to mount my battery. Do you have any dimensions for your battery or specs I definitely want to buy one
    So your trying to buy a battery before you even have a battery box????????? That's not the way it goes....... WTF..............

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by Nobodyknowsimashithead View Post
    Batteries plus aren't chopper guys they don't know things like that you gotta do some research then go look at the shelves

Yea you are correct and there not mind readers either............

Il build a battery box when I get my battery so everything fits right I am a fabricator and I have a fab shop so no problem there. So yeah that's how it goes

Get Adobe Flash player

Il build a battery box when I get my battery so everything fits right I am a fabricator and I have a fab shop so no problem there. So yeah that's how it goes
    You have a fab shop?????? What do you fab???????

So if your gonna build a box for the battery and not the other way around why not just buy a stock battery for your bike and go from there??????

Problem solved..........

I don't have room for a stock battery so why buy a battery box when I don't have exact dimensions . Yes I have a large fab shop and do a lot of industrial fabrication and also do a variety of other work we are also millwrights so let me know if you need anything built I and and my team are also certified welders

Get Adobe Flash player

Yes I have a large fab shop and do a lot of industrial fabrication and also do a variety of other work we are also millwrights so let me know if you need anything built I and and my team are also certified welders
    LOL I don't think I will be having you build anything for me..... You work backwards...... You should at least know how much room you have for a battery just to buy a battery to build a box for it...........

Best of luck..........

Get Adobe Flash player

What I really need to know is what cca I need and how many ah do I need
    I searched for a replacement battery for:
    Harley-Davidson Sportster XL Series 1000CC Motorcycle Replacement Battery (1979-1985)

Got these specs:
    Voltage: 12V

Capacity: 20Ah
    Cold Cranking Amps: 310

Dimensions: L 6.89 x W3.43 x H 6.14 inches
    https://batteryclerk.ca/products/har...979-1985?ls=en

Share This