Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nanonevol
    • Feb 2017

ID ths wheel?

I'd like to fit this wheel on a Buell Blast fork I'm using on my Paugho 45" bike.
    Maybe I don't need to ID it to use it?
    The Buell axle is too thin for the wheels bearings. Just measure and shop for bearings and seals?
    Same with brake rotors?
    Thanks.
  • TriNortchopz
    • Dec 2017

What diameter is the axle?
    What is the ID of the bearing?
    Depending on size difference,may need to change inner bearing spacer as well.
    May be able to just reduce size of bearing ID by using a shouldered bushing... again,depending on size difference.
    other option, swap bearing for one with same OD, and an ID to match your axle. Got a number on your bearing?
    same with seals.
    match up rotors for BCD,offset and OD.
    If buildin' old school choppers was easy, anyone could do it... ain't nobody said it's gonna be easy...

Comment

• Nanonevol
      • Feb 2017

Thanks! The axle is maybe metric as it is 17 mm. The inner of bearing is .75" which is 19.05 mm. It's a tapered roller. I'll look for bearings.
      Sorry, what is "BCD"?

Comment

• TriNortchopz
        • Dec 2017

Sorry, what is "BCD"?
        Bolt Circle Diameter (BCD) is the diameter of the circle that goes through the center of all of the mounting bolts on your sprocket, rotor...

Click image for larger version

Name:	boltcircledia.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	23.0 KB
ID:	1319524

Bolt Circle Diameter Calculator
        The premier source of tooling, parts, and accessories for bench top machinists.
        If buildin' old school choppers was easy, anyone could do it... ain't nobody said it's gonna be easy...

Comment

• Nanonevol
          • Feb 2017

I'm not finding anything that works. Maybe I should look for another wheel?

Comment

• TriNortchopz
            • Dec 2017

2-second search for 'tapered roller bearing 17mm id'; first one I looked at:

17mm x 40mm x 13.25mm E30203J Tapered Roller Bearing

Name:	41049811.jpg
Size:	13.0 KB
ID:	1319527

Comment

• Nanonevol
              • Feb 2017

The outer diameter needs to be 1 3/4" (44.45mm) to fit the wheel.
              I think I have a metric/imperial mismatch problem here.
              Probably best to look for a Buell wheel.
              Will also need the brake position to match the rotor. Don't know if there is any standardization here.
              Last edited by Nanonevol; 08-16-2021, 3:53 PM.

Comment

• TriNortchopz
                • Dec 2017

Originally posted by Nanonevol
                The outer diameter needs to be 1 3/4" (44.45mm) to fit the wheel.
                Is there a problem with the bearing cups (races) that are in the wheel now? Should be able to just find the cone (bearing) with 17mm ID and install it in the existing bearing cup.

Comment

• Nanonevol
                  • Feb 2017

Oh, OK. Didn't know I could do that.
                  But I'd need a seal that fits also.
                  Last edited by Nanonevol; 08-16-2021, 4:09 PM.

Comment

• TriNortchopz
                    • Dec 2017

as noted earlier, 17mm ID bushing for axle to fit 3/4" existing bearing... just turn down outside from 20mm to 19.05mm;
                    just one example:

20 mm OD X 17 mm ID 1.5 mm THICKNESS 6061 ALUMINUM TUBE PIPE ROUND

6061-T6 Aluminum Bare Extruded Tube (OD 20 mm ID 17 mm 1.5 mm THICKNESS 6061) is used for all structural applications where strength is important. 6061-T6 Aluminum has above average corrosion resistance, good machinability, and is excellent for welding.

Comment

• Nanonevol
                      • Feb 2017

Excellent advice as always,, however,,This Sportster wheel isn't going to work for other reasons. I'm buying a Buell wheel with tire and rotor for $125 and think I can sell this for $250 so why not.
                      Learn something every day.

Comment

• Nanonevol
                        • Feb 2017

Maybe I can get some advice about the rear wheel. First I thought I needed a pair of sealed bearings for a 3/4" axle and 1 3/4" bore
                        but on closer inspection it looks like the wheel has outer bearing races still installed. Not sure what would fit or where to find it.
                        The races seem quite deeply placed (3/4"). Also, would I need a spacer in the middle like many wheels have? Not sure of their purpose.
                        No idea of the wheels maker.

Last edited by Nanonevol; 08-20-2021, 3:33 PM.

Comment

• TriNortchopz
                          • Dec 2017

looks to be a Harley wheel with tapered roller bearings, the races (cups) are still in there. need to be precise about setting up the end play, at about 4 thou. lots of videos online for setting them up.
                          Sure somebody here could further id that wheel as to which model and years it could be.

look at this article as an intro:

Checking Harley-Davidson tapered wheel bearings

How to check Harley-Davidson Timken conical wheel bearings. Step-by-step tutorial, Harley meccanica online. #mecanicaharley

Can swap them to standard ball bearings too:

Sealed Bearing Kit for 1984-99 Rear Wheels (Timken/Tapered)
                          "This kit is everything you need to swap out those tapered bearings for Sealed Ball bearings.
                          No shimming & packing grease in bearings required, just press in the bearings like a modern wheel.

Our kit is made right unlike the other ones out there, the bearings have the correct press and will not slide around.
                          We have made sure the Bearing spacing matches the tapered bearing wheel, so no modifications are needed to the axle spacers.
                          Allows use of OEM wheel seals for extra protection against water & dirt."

Name:	4758.jpg
Size:	110.4 KB
ID:	1319569

Comment

• Nanonevol
                            • Feb 2017

Thanks again TriNortChopz, you're a Master!
                            That sealed bearing kit looks like the way to go. Much simpler and "modern".

Comment

• Nanonevol
                              • Feb 2017

Watched some videos on bearing setup.
                              Looks like a special tool needed to remove the race.
                              I may just take it to the local indy shop.
                              Assume I'd need it out even with the sealed bearing mod.

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                              Working...
                              ;