X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Crochands
    • Aug 2021

Brakes from scratch - sportster

Hey all, first post here.

I’ve been working on building out my chopper 2012 sportster. I’ve just recently built out the wiring harness from scratch, which was loads of fun, and now I’m focused on the brakes.

I’m running no front brake, only rear, and there’s currently no brake lines or master cylinder… its the way i bought it. No brakes basically.

I’m good running brake lines and doing that whole thing, but I can’t seem to find how to wire-up a brake switch from scratch, or if there is a kit for that... I would prefer not to use the cheap-o spring powered brake switch that attaches to the brake rod, but I will if that’s the deal.

Any help is appreciated.
  • confab
    • May 2019

My shovel came with a T fitting and a pressure switch plumbed into the line, back near the swingarm.

There's a banjo bolt switch also that works on pressure.

It's a simple SPST switch. Like touching two wires together.

Comment

• IowaChop
      • Nov 2015

I used these when I did my build:
      This 3/8"-24 banjo bolt brake switch replaces your OEM banjo bolt, perfect brake switch for custom applications and when changing from a stock master cylinder.

Comment

• Crochands
        • Aug 2021

Thanks very much! Excuse my ignorance here, but does the banjo bolt screw into the brake caliper, or the rear master cylinder, or somewhere else? Probably a stupid question...

Comment

• confab
          • May 2019

Typically the caliper.. But it doesn't matter. It replaces a standard banjo bolt, wherever you find one.

The system is so small and so simple, it's not like you can install it "wrong" and get a delay or something weird like that.

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
          Working...
          ;