CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search

Default 79 xlh swing arm question

Hello guys new to the forum. I am currently rebuilding a 1979 harley sportster xlh 1000. The swing arm on the bike is bent. I have a swing arm from a 1983 xlh. My question is can that work with my frame of bike or am I better off trying to find a 79 xlh swing arm?

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

I don't think that is gonna fly. I believe the pivot mounting of the swingarm was changed between those years, and there is no interchange possible.
    I won't say this as an absolute positive, but a quick visual comparison of the two swingarms will tell you. The difference is easily seen.

Your existing swingarm can be straightened if it isn't tweaked too bad, and there are no kinks in the tubing.

Jim

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

not an answer, but some relevant info:

Swingarm Swaps:

Pre-1979, only the 1977 XLCR had the box arm with Disc.

1979 - 1981 had the box arm with disc and it will fit pre-79 frames.

A 79-81 swing arm will bolt on a 72 frame. Things to consider when changing swingarms are master cylinder placement, operation and the fact that the 79-81 swing arm shock mounting will change the angle of your shocks.

Consider if you even want a disc on the rear. It won't work any better than the drum, which is already powerful enough to lock up the wheel. Put your effort into improving the front brake if you want to stop better. You would do better by adapting a later 39 MM Evo fork for brakes and handling.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HD, ih_swingarm_pic_by_dr_dick.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	58.1 KB 
ID:	104736

http://sportsterpedia.com/doku.php/techtalk:ih:susp03
    Last edited by TriNortchopz; 07-06-2020 at 8:11 PM.

Ok thank you. I wasn't to sure, so I figured I would just ask anyways. Unfortunately the swing arm is kinked where the right side adjuster slides into.

Share This