CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search

Default 85 EVO chopper build thread

Hello!

Starting this build thread in hopes of when ever I hit a wall, this forum would be helpful. And in return I'll be able to help where I can as well.

This will be my first dive into a big twin chopper build. The donor bike is a 1985 FXWG. 2nd year 80" evo with a 4 speed kicker trans with electric start.

Right now, I'm collecting parts. I have obtained a hardtail frame, could either be an old jammer or paughco BT frame with a 32 rake. I'm hoping to run a 12 over wide glide front end with fork by franks tubes and a 21" spool wheel in the front, 16" in the rear. I will be chopping up the frame to compensate for rake and trail but I do believe flat bottoms are for boats...I have upsweep fish tail exhaust, s&s super e carb, 3 gallon mustang tank. I'm going to have a custom seat and sissy bar made to match for comfort and the ability to strap as much cargo to it as possible. I have already cleaned up the engine, fresh top end gaskets and painted the jugs and lifter blocks to match.

Some questions, I have right off the bat are

1. What are some options for open belt drives? I'd like to drop the electric start and go primarily kick start only. Less is more. And I've always been a fan of points.

2. The 85 FXWG came with belt drive. I'd like to convert to final chain drive. What are some things I should be on the look out for? Optimal sprocket teeth count for performance, spacers I may need for alignment, i.e...

In regards to my first 2 questions, I'd like to run belt primary and chain final drive. As of now the bike is closed chain primary drive and belt final drive.

3. Since I'm dealing with an early evo what year shovelheads should I be able to plug and play and massage to fit my evo drive train.

I appreciate chop cult for hosting this forum and everything they do for the community and YOU for taking the time to read through this build thread.

Attached are some pictures of how I got the bike, progress photos and a very loose mock up.

Thank you!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20210712_232730.jpg   20210418_183452.jpg   Screenshot_20210725-193722_Instagram.jpg  

3rd question first: Any alternator shovel motor, '70 - '84, is a bolt-in swap. The generator shovel motors could also be used, with the open belt drive, with an offset motor pulley being the only extra piece necessary.

Jim

I'm not a fan of belt drives, but the simple, open belt drives that use the original old style clutch are cost-effective (if you have an old style clutch). Next up would be a BDL, with one of their competitor clutches.

For the chain final, an '80 - up flat transmission sprocket is needed. With an open primary drive, a 24T sprocket and oring chain will fit in.
    48T on the wheel will give a long gear.

Jim

Share This